Author Topic: Bulls up offer for Love. Celtics still in running?  (Read 9992 times)

Re: Bulls up offer for Love. Celtics still in running?
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Can anyone explain to me a plausible way that we would facilitate the Bulls-Wolves deal?

I'm assuming that any such deal involves Gibson, Mirotic, and McDermott to Minnesota and Love to Chicago.

So the role we could play would be to (1) absorb an inconvenient contract and/or (2) swap a pick for a Bull that we want but the Wolves don't.

Hypothesis: the Wolves aren't actually interested in 29-year-old role-player Taj Gibson. They will build a new core around Mirotic and Rubio. Chicago has to move Gibson in this deal to stay under the cap.

So our actual opportunity here is to trade picks and wave-able contracts for Taj Gibson.

Would you guys like to send a 1st rounder to Mini, send Bogans and all the bench guys we're about to cut to Chicago, and acquire Taj Gibson?

Why do the Celtics need Taj Gibson?

Well, he would be our best power forward. We also don't have anyone who plays respectable interior defense, so he would answer a need (...if we were trying to win, that is. In my view, trading a draft pick for a "win now" player doesn't make much sense).

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
Can anyone explain to me a plausible way that we would facilitate the Bulls-Wolves deal?

I'm assuming that any such deal involves Gibson, Mirotic, and McDermott to Minnesota and Love to Chicago.

So the role we could play would be to (1) absorb an inconvenient contract and/or (2) swap a pick for a Bull that we want but the Wolves don't.

Hypothesis: the Wolves aren't actually interested in 29-year-old role-player Taj Gibson. They will build a new core around Mirotic and Rubio. Chicago has to move Gibson in this deal to stay under the cap.

So our actual opportunity here is to trade picks and wave-able contracts for Taj Gibson.

Would you guys like to send a 1st rounder to Mini, send Bogans and all the bench guys we're about to cut to Chicago, and acquire Taj Gibson?

We don't need Gibson we have enough PF on this team it would be other pieces that they are wanting to dump.

Like who? You mean like we swap wave-ables to Minnie for Martin and Chicago kicks us a distant draft pick?

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2014, 02:02:07 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Well, he would be our best power forward. We also don't have anyone who plays respectable interior defense, so he would answer a need (...if we were trying to win, that is. In my view, trading a draft pick for a "win now" player doesn't make much sense).

We're throwing away a first rounder to fill a need that isn't glaring.  Plus, I don't think Taj is a huge upgrade on what the Celtics have already. 

Doesn't make sense to me.  Its making a move when you really don't have to.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2014, 02:06:26 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

We're throwing away a first rounder to fill a need that isn't glaring.  Plus, I don't think Taj is a huge upgrade on what the Celtics have already. 

Doesn't make sense to me.  Its making a move when you really don't have to.

I do think that Taj is a huge upgrade, but I also don't think it's a move worth making. Point is, though, I'm seeing all these stories about how we're going to be a 3rd team facilitator but I have yet to see even the vaguest suggestion of why we would be involved. Because we can absorb a bad contract? Ok... what's in it for us? What's this innuendo about getting a player who can play right away?

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2014, 02:10:49 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Danny is one of the smartest GMs in the league.  I think the proverbial firework is still coming.  The moves we've made has put us in a position to head in any direction and still be great in the near future. 

Maybe it's the green shade that is forever tattooed to my face but my intuition is still telling me that we'd end up with Love.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2014, 02:27:48 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
KEVIN LOVE WILL NOT BE A CELTIC...EVER!  Quote me!

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2014, 02:42:19 PM »

Offline Piasecki8

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 9
I wouldn't mind if as a facilitator, we sent out Bogans contract or Sullinger and filler waivable's or Bass along with one of our many 1sts and wound up with a combo of McDermott, Dieng and Brewer/Barea expiring. Smething like this would be worth adding that extra pick for Chicago's package to Minnesota to get it done.

As for Cleveland I don't think that they have anything outside of Wiggins or Bennett that I would want back and neither would ever happen as both would wind up in Minnesota. So I guess maybe the first and Bogans and Babb/Johnson for Dieng and Brewer/Barea and a 2nd from Cleveland.

The one problem is that Minnesota has no real reason to get rid of Dieng in the process. I'm only including him because everyone seems to think he could be had.

Personally if I am using a 1st then I would be all in on the Chicago deal for McDermott, Brewer/Barea and a 2nd or two from the Bulls.

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55

how do people still think the Celtics can get love with wiggins/ bennett and possibly thompson/barnes on the table? Talk about gulible !!

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2014, 02:45:46 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I'm fairly certain that someone made that same quote about KG. Not saying we'll land him this year, as there are stronger offers elsewhere, but "ever" is too much.

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2014, 02:47:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/sources-cs-ready-move-love-pursuit

BOSTON — There's no waiving of the white flag just yet, but the Boston Celtics appear to be ready to move on from their pursuit of Minnesota star Kevin Love, league sources tell CSNNE.com.

"The more teams step up and show interest in Love, the further Boston falls in the pack," a source said on Wednesday. "Danny's a smart guy. He knows when to keep pushing for something and when to move on."

That's why the Celtics are reportedly among the clubs to express some interest in being a third team to help facilitate a trade involving Love to what one source said has become his "preferred" destination, Cleveland.

I know.

Cleveland.

Throughout the Celtics' offseason, they have made no secret about being open to using whatever resources they have (draft picks, trade exceptions, players) to add a high-impact player like Love who earlier this summer had expressed interest in Boston.

But as this summer continues to wind down, acquiring Love or a comparable, high-impact player become less likely with each passing day.

That's because teams, for now at least, are far more consumed by acquiring proven talent as opposed to assets and players with potential (read: young talent).

Boston's most tradable asset is Rajon Rondo, but the market for him is unclear because teams aren't sold on the four-time all-star returning to the form he displayed prior to suffering a torn right ACL injury in 2013.

That's why Boston will likely enter the season with Rondo still on the roster, providing him a chance to play his way into the max or near-max deal he wants, while increasing his value in case the Celtics decide to trade him and hand the keys to the roster over to his heir apparent, Marcus Smart who was selected by Boston with the No. 6 pick in last month's NBA draft.

Of course the outlook by teams towards the Celtics may change in the coming weeks and all of a sudden, that stockpile of draft picks and future assets acquired by the Celtics will be in demand.

But until that time, Boston will try to acquire as many good players who are great fits, having failed to land a great player like Love who would have been a very, very good fit for this franchise.

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2014, 03:08:23 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

how do people still think the Celtics can get love with wiggins/ bennett and possibly thompson/barnes on the table? Talk about gulible !!

Better than the Bulls offer that's for sure.

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

ainge could easily put together a "godfather" offer for love if he chose. we have smart, young, olynyk, sullinger, bradley, expirings, seven tradeable first-round picks (one a valuable swap pick with brooklyn), and two high second-rounders from philly. we have more assets than the other teams in the hunt, ainge could theoretically empty the cabinet, and, after acquiring love, try to use cap space to land a third star. the c's could definitely do this - but ainge will likely view the price as being too high.

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2014, 06:49:38 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Thought post was going to be

Bulls up offer for Love. Celtics still in running?

For McBuckets.

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2014, 07:03:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Danny didn't tank the team right at the end of the season ...thus no top three draft pick

So ...the idiot isn't getting Love .....he didn't tank right to get Wiggins or PArker

So well be doing it all over again.

Celtics are in the running for one thing ......

A top three Lottery pick

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 07:22:09 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Danny didn't tank the team right at the end of the season ...thus no top three draft pick

So ...the idiot isn't getting Love .....he didn't tank right to get Wiggins or PArker

So well be doing it all over again.

Celtics are in the running for one thing ......

A top three Lottery pick

I'm pretty sure Cleveland didn't tank the best, got Wiggins. Orlando and Utah didn't fare that well either. Bucks got their guy and 76ers gutted their team and only ended up with the 3rd spot, and have a fragment of a team. YEah they got Ebiid, but who knows if he's going to be able to play long term. MCW was rookie of the year in a weak class and the 76ers are looking to trade him. Noel is looking good, but who knows with his injuries as well.

DA new the winning the lottery was a long shot, and didn't want to go all in. Remember '07? second worst record, ended up with the 5th. Can't blame him for not going all in, and keeping some assets. Also we only won 3 more games than we did that year, not DA's fault teams were gutting their teams to tank.

DA also wasn't going to sell his players for half pennies on the dollar. Teams probably were low balling him knowing he's rebuilding. Dumb move to trade Green or Rondo for next to nothing just to MAYBE win the lotto, where we've done so well in.

::)