Author Topic: Bulls up offer for Love. Celtics still in running?  (Read 9991 times)

Re: Bulls up offer for Love. Celtics still in running?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Taj Gibson is a very good bench big but he is just that.  He is a role player.

Mirotic and McDermott haven't played in the NBA.  They are unproven.

It's not just me saying the Wolves think that, Sheridan who reported this says that's a better offer than the Cavs one and personally I just find that baffling.  He literally said it's better because you get three starters, then sort of hedged and said two plus Doug.

So a great bench big and two guys who haven't played in the NBA are 3 starters?  And what is their ceiling?  What are you building around?  I get that Mirotic is a good prospect too but there have been other great European big shooters who haven't lit the NBA on fire.

Wiggins has so much more potential.

I know LC says it a lot, and I'm inclined to agree -- if the Wolves are prioritizing a return to the postseason, they'll want proven players over prospects.

On the face of it, that's shortsighted, which is why most of us (correctly) see the Cleveland deal as superior, but it remains a pretty probable thing.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Did Mirotic really do any more at Real Madrid than Ilyasova did when at Barcelona?

Why is Mirotic a much better player than Ilyasova?

Ilysova shot 49.6% from 2 and 32.3% from 3 in his Euroleague performances, while Mirotic has shot 54.9% from 2 and 40.3% from 3.  And it's not even close from the free throw line, where Ilyasova was a pedestrian 66.7% compared to Mirotic's 84.8%.

Mirotic is clearly the better shooter.  As for the rest of the game -- I'm honestly not familiar enough with the differences in Euro and NBA styles and rules to glean anything from statsheets, and I never saw Ilyasova play in Euroleage.  But, if nothing else, Mirotic can put the ball in the bucket more effectively, and that's an undeniably important skill.

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 12:39:31 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Saunders would be insane to take that offer over Wiggins and Bennet. The article states that the Twolves believe it's a better fife though, not that the author thinks it's a better offer. I'm sure it's the Twolves front office trying to push the Cavs into adding more to the deal , like the Miami pick, which could be a valuable pick if Wades health and productivity continue their current trajectory.

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 12:42:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Saunders would be insane to take that offer over Wiggins and Bennet. The article states that the Twolves believe it's a better fife though, not that the author thinks it's a better offer. I'm sure it's the Twolves front office trying to push the Cavs into adding more to the deal , like the Miami pick, which could be a valuable pick if Wades health and productivity continue their current trajectory.

Really having trouble parsing out what a better fife is in this context...

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 12:43:16 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

If I was to make a guess, I think the T Wolves are also trying to get rid of Martin and Barea at the same time and I think that's making this deal really hard to get done.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 12:48:31 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

sorry, "offer". Typing on the iPhone again...

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 01:03:54 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i'm thinking if our offer wasn't good enough leading up to the draft then anything we offer now is likely less appealing.

that is of course assuming we offered at least one of this yr's picks. when Minn. would have had their choice of players to choose from.

it's my belief we are no longer involved or in the running for Love.

as for Chi and their set of players(rookies) being better? I think that's arguable, neither have played in the league yet and as good as mirotic may or may not be euro players are still to this day even more of a gamble in this league imo. 

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 01:05:15 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40

If I was to make a guess, I think the T Wolves are also trying to get rid of Martin and Barea at the same time and I think that's making this deal really hard to get done.

You are dead on right with that so I don't mind being the third wheel in this if it means getting some more pieces for the future with a bad contract or 2.

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 01:18:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Wouldn't you rather have a micro-kingdom in Chicago than Cleveland?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2014, 01:22:46 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I just remembered they got Gasol now

so Gasol off the bench now?

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 01:23:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I just remembered they got Gasol now

so Gasol off the bench now?

You have to assume that they're going to deal with a Noah injury at some point.

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2014, 01:26:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

You are dead on right with that so I don't mind being the third wheel in this if it means getting some more pieces for the future with a bad contract or 2.

I think they are too, but I don't know why they'd try to get rid of both.  If you're trading with the Bulls, you're theoretically trying to remain competitive.  Martin is overpaid, but he's still useful, and that supposed deal of Gibson, Mirotic, and McDermott leaves them with no cap room next year, with or without Martin.  And Berea's expiring.  For a Cleveland deal, I get trying to get rid of Martin, but in a deal where they trade Martin and Berea and Love for Wiggins, Bennett, and non-guaranteed contracts, they're under the salary floor.  Why mess up a deal or give up something to get rid of Berea?

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Can anyone explain to me a plausible way that we would facilitate the Bulls-Wolves deal?

I'm assuming that any such deal involves Gibson, Mirotic, and McDermott to Minnesota and Love to Chicago.

So the role we could play would be to (1) absorb an inconvenient contract and/or (2) swap a pick for a Bull that we want but the Wolves don't.

Hypothesis: the Wolves aren't actually interested in 29-year-old role-player Taj Gibson. They will build a new core around Mirotic and Rubio. Chicago has to move Gibson in this deal to stay under the cap.

So our actual opportunity here is to trade picks and wave-able contracts for Taj Gibson.

Would you guys like to send a 1st rounder to Mini, send Bogans and all the bench guys we're about to cut to Chicago, and acquire Taj Gibson?

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2014, 01:43:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Can anyone explain to me a plausible way that we would facilitate the Bulls-Wolves deal?

I'm assuming that any such deal involves Gibson, Mirotic, and McDermott to Minnesota and Love to Chicago.

So the role we could play would be to (1) absorb an inconvenient contract and/or (2) swap a pick for a Bull that we want but the Wolves don't.

Hypothesis: the Wolves aren't actually interested in 29-year-old role-player Taj Gibson. They will build a new core around Mirotic and Rubio. Chicago has to move Gibson in this deal to stay under the cap.

So our actual opportunity here is to trade picks and wave-able contracts for Taj Gibson.

Would you guys like to send a 1st rounder to Mini, send Bogans and all the bench guys we're about to cut to Chicago, and acquire Taj Gibson?

Why do the Celtics need Taj Gibson?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2014, 01:54:05 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40

Why do the Celtics need Taj Gibson?

We don't need Gibson we have enough PF on this team it would be other pieces that they are wanting to dump.