Author Topic: If not Love Who Would You Give Up Picks For?  (Read 2826 times)

If not Love Who Would You Give Up Picks For?
« on: July 23, 2014, 11:24:55 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-07-23/kevin-love-trade-rumors-bulls-cavaliers-warriors-third-team-76ers-nuggets-celtics?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Boston, another source said, would like to acquire Love, but would be willing to include some part of its trove of draft picks if they would help bring in a player who can contribute immediately.

What player would make sense to give up picks for at this stage in the rebuild? If the Wolves decide to go the rebuild route with Wiggins would you give up picks for Pekovic? Sign and trade for Bledsoe? An overpaid big like Smith or Sanders?

Would you give up a pick for a stop gap center? I think that if we are giving up picks it needs to be for someone who will be in the teams future plans.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: If not Love Who Would You Give Up Picks For?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 11:28:17 AM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I would not give up picks for any of those guys.  I would for Deandre Jordan, but he isn't going to be available. 

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:30:30 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
As a general cut-off point - Someone who is a top 10 player at their respective position. Or has the potential to be a top 10 player at their respective position.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
As a general cut-off point - Someone who is a top 10 player at their respective position. Or has the potential to be a top 10 player at their respective position.
I think it depends on the picks. I would give up the Sixers and Cavs picks for not very much because they probably will be late firsts/second rounders
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
I think it depends on the picks. I would give up the Sixers and Cavs picks for not very much because they probably will be late firsts/second rounders

Outside of Love there isn't a Big name that is on the Market. So why give up first rounders for Role players? Keep the picks and see what the season plays out than see if somebody becomes available.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 11:40:36 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
if history has told us anything, there are always big players who are unhappy with their situations and are ready to move....Ainge is just putting us in a position to have the assets to jump on that opportunity when it arrises

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 11:45:12 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
What player would make sense to give up picks for at this stage in the rebuild? If the Wolves decide to go the rebuild route with Wiggins would you give up picks for Pekovic? Sign and trade for Bledsoe? An overpaid big like Smith or Sanders?

Would you give up a pick for a stop gap center? I think that if we are giving up picks it needs to be for someone who will be in the teams future plans.

(1) I wouldn't give up picks for Pekovic. A defensively limited plodder of a center. Does not provide what the team needs and lacks upside. Expensive contract ($12mil per annum) which limits future moves. Not interested. 

(2) Bledsoe isn't interesting to me because Rondo is already here. If Rondo were to be traded, then yes, I'd be happy to give up picks to get Bledsoe.

(3) I am not interested in Josh Smith due to high salary + presence of Sully/Olynyk. If not for young PFs already here, I'd be happy to give up picks to get Smith. But with Sully/Olynyk here, I want a bigger upgrade (like K-Love) for cost of trade (assets given up + cap flexibility decrease + harming Sully/Olynyk's development).

So both PF and PG are problem positions in my eyes in terms of giving up assets for talent there. PG near impossible. PF possible but high requirement.

(4) Larry Sanders. I'd be happy to gamble on Sanders. He has lots of potential as defender/rebounder. Lots of athleticism which is very nice in center. Helps compensate for Sully/Olynyk at PF or possible slow footed future recruit (K-Love?).

(5) A stop gap center?

I liked Asik because he was both a stop-gap option but also had possibility to be a long term fit if things lined up well for Celtics (eg if Ainge got K-Love, then paying Asik big contract was fine in my book ... but without big name recruit, paying Asik big contract was problematic).

Once you go below Asik's caliber of player, it's hard to see any stop-gap options being worthwhile enough to give up draft picks.

A young guy with upside like Kanter would be a possibility.

A really low first rounder, like the Clips pick, giving that up for a passable starter could be okay. Not a really valuable pick. Have too many draft selections anyway. But while I am (somewhat) open to that option, I am struggling to see any players I would actually do that deal for. So many overpaid centers floating around. A Robin Lopez type would be doable. Mozgov? I don't know.

Edit: Ezeli. I'd happily give up the Clips pick for Ezeli. Young center. Small upside. Cheap contract. Stopgap option who could be long term starter if top players are at non-center position.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 11:53:34 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Edit: Ezeli. I'd happily give up the Clips pick for Ezeli. Young center. Small upside. Cheap contract. Stopgap option who could be long term starter if top players are at non-center position.

Would you prefer to wait and see how Ezeli recovers from reconstructive knee surgery that forced him to miss all of last season?  Or are you looking to gamble on players with injury risks?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:56:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Would you prefer to wait and see how Ezeli recovers from reconstructive knee surgery that forced him to miss all of last season?  Or are you looking to gamble on players with injury risks?

I would definitely prefer to wait.

But I'd willing to do it anyway. Only a late first rounder. Not too costly if things go wrong.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 12:29:09 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Outside of Love there isn't a Big name that is on the Market. So why give up first rounders for Role players? Keep the picks and see what the season plays out than see if somebody becomes available.

For now, sure.  Be patient and wait for good opportunities.

But at some point, Danny will HAVE to move some picks.   We have literally too many potential picks coming eventually to actually absorb into the rosters.

There is a strong probability of having 6 picks in the 2016 draft.   Considering that (unless something changes) we will already have a very young roster at that point, there is no way you can absorb 6 rookies at once.   Draft-and-stash is an option, but that only helps a little and delays the inevitable.

The point isn't that we'll ever get stuck into that situation - the point is that at some point your are forced by roster limitations and the clock to HAVE to make a move, and that is when your assets become devalued -- because people will pay you less when they know you have to sell.

So you can't be TOO picky, waiting for only the perfect deal for a superstar.   Sometimes it will make sense to roll-up the value of some assets into another asset that may not be a star, but maybe still has higher value or maybe has a farther time horizon (such as trading multiple lower value picks for a future one that is likely to be higher).
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 12:36:06 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Marc Gasol, Demarcus Cousins in a couple years if he wants out of SAC.

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

(1) I wouldn't give up picks for Pekovic. A defensively limited plodder of a center. Does not provide what the team needs and lacks upside. Expensive contract ($12mil per annum) which limits future moves. Not interested. 

Disagree on Pek.  I wouldn't pay a premium for him, but he does provide some of what we need: size and physicality at the 5 plus scoring.   I think he'd be great for Sully & KO: allow them to play the 4 and increase their value.

Defensively we'd be vulnerable, but Minny was able to field a respectable D with Love and Pek thanks to strong perimeter D and good rebounding, which I think we could match.

And I think he's the kind of guy who can be moved later if a better fit becomes available.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Disagree on Pek.  I wouldn't pay a premium for him, but he does provide some of what we need: size and physicality at the 5 plus scoring.   I think he'd be great for Sully & KO: allow them to play the 4 and increase their value.

Defensively we'd be vulnerable, but Minny was able to field a respectable D with Love and Pek thanks to strong perimeter D and good rebounding, which I think we could match.

And I think he's the kind of guy who can be moved later if a better fit becomes available.

You might be the first person to ever call that defense "respectable"
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 02:53:35 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd give the Clippers 1st and a couple of 2nd rounders for Robin Lopez, right now.

I know, it's not a big fireworks move, but I'd do that in a millisecond if Portland agrees.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace