Author Topic: So is Ainge going to possibly try to go after Greg Monroe?  (Read 21867 times)

Re: So is Ainge going to possibly try to go after Greg Monroe?
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2014, 09:56:49 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I don't think Danny will want to pay Monroe anywhere what he thinks he is worth

I  I think DA won't waste a lot of time chasing him......when a better center may be had for similar dollars in the future.

Not that DA would not pick him up if the price is right , just not seeing Monroe selling himself for a bargain.

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »

fitzhickey

This board has a tendency to grossly overestimate Rondo's ability to get the most out of other players. It seems like with every prospective big man, someone inevitably pulls out the "Rondo will massively help their game" card. It hasn't happened and it won't happen. Rondo is one of the finest passing PGs in the league but his assist rate isn't that much greater than everyone else in the league. He's about 2-3 assist better per game than a guy like Jameer Nelson or other decent (but not great) PGs. He's not Magic Johnson averaging 16 assists per game. So for a guy like Jordan or Greg Monroe, they might, if they're lucky, get one more bucket per game from the assistance of Rondo. Rajon isn't turning anyone into a scoring machine.

I'd argue he really helped Shaq play well the end of his career, made Semih Erden look like an NBA center, and helped Chris Wilcox shoot like 70% from the field.  He probably helped fringe players like Ruan Hollins and Greg Steisma look a little better than they actually are.
Magic never averaged more than 13 a game  ???

You seem to be contradicting yourself with your second paragraph too.

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2014, 12:13:13 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
You keep your logic out of this.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2014, 12:42:36 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I don't understand signing Avery Bradley for $8 million a year, instead of going after Monroe.

Maybe Detroit just didn't want to trade him.

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2014, 12:51:23 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't understand signing Avery Bradley for $8 million a year, instead of going after Monroe.

First, Monroe is not under contract. And second, he wanted just about twice that in terms of salary.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2014, 01:09:22 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

First, Monroe is not under contract. And second, he wanted just about twice that in terms of salary.

Monroe is a free agent?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2014, 01:14:41 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Monroe is a free agent?

RFA so the Pistons can match anything...I think.

Hope I'm right.

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2014, 01:20:32 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yup, RFA.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2014, 01:21:05 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Neither of those statements has anything to do with what I said.

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2014, 04:58:13 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

In a way yes.

Not under contract means that your premise of "instead of going after Monroe" is flawed as in, still a possibility (or that he wasn't pursued if there was interest).

As for how much Monroe's salary is going to be, well we couldn't afford him. NO CAP SPACE. The only way to actually go after him is in a sign-and-trade move, and having Avery Bradley on contract has nothing to do with going after Monroe or not.

So yeah, Avery Bradley vs. Greg Monroe situation you're creating is of no relevance.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:58:07 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2014, 05:54:08 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'll bet Danny likes him but doesn't want to pay near max and I don't blame him.

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2014, 06:29:49 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

This board has a tendency to grossly overestimate Rondo's ability to get the most out of other players. It seems like with every prospective big man, someone inevitably pulls out the "Rondo will massively help their game" card. It hasn't happened and it won't happen. Rondo is one of the finest passing PGs in the league but his assist rate isn't that much greater than everyone else in the league. He's about 2-3 assist better per game than a guy like Jameer Nelson or other decent (but not great) PGs. He's not Magic Johnson averaging 16 assists per game. So for a guy like Jordan or Greg Monroe, they might, if they're lucky, get one more bucket per game from the assistance of Rondo. Rajon isn't turning anyone into a scoring machine.

I'd argue he really helped Shaq play well the end of his career, made Semih Erden look like an NBA center, and helped Chris Wilcox shoot like 70% from the field.  He probably helped fringe players like Ruan Hollins and Greg Steisma look a little better than they actually are.
Magic never averaged more than 13 a game  ???

You seem to be contradicting yourself with your second paragraph too.

I didn't copy the quote correctly.  Lol That first paragraph was from someone else, and I was arguing against his point.

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2014, 10:15:04 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

In a way yes.

Not under contract means that your premise of "instead of going after Monroe" is flawed as in, still a possibility (or that he wasn't pursued if there was interest).

As for how much Monroe's salary is going to be, well we couldn't afford him. NO CAP SPACE. The only way to actually go after him is in a sign-and-trade move, and having Avery Bradley on contract has nothing to do with going after Monroe or not.

So yeah, Avery Bradley vs. Greg Monroe situation you're creating is of no relevance.

Wrong.

I was talking about trading Rondo for Monroe last season and saving money going forward by not signing Bradley.

It's a question of where you put your money, not cap space. I never mentioned cap space.

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2014, 10:40:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I'm wondering if the plan is to throw a huge offer at DeAndre Jordan next offseason. Seems like a defensive difference maker, and Rondo can turn Boston into lob city with Deandre.

Chris Paul isn't a good enough PG to turn LAC into lob city with Deandre?  :)

Sure. The Clips are lob city with Jordan, who had more dunks last year than our entire team did. He led the league in dunks, and Blake was 4th. It's worth pointing out, though, that (from hoopdata) on Paul's first 2 years with the Clips he had fewer assists at the rim per game than Rondo, who was playing with an aged KG and Bass, not Blake and Jordan. So, yeah, lob city with Rondo.

This board has a tendency to grossly overestimate Rondo's ability to get the most out of other players. It seems like with every prospective big man, someone inevitably pulls out the "Rondo will massively help their game" card. It hasn't happened and it won't happen.

Big men who had the most efficient seasons of their careers with Rondo as pg include Wilcox, Shaq (they're first and 2nd in franchise history for single season fg%) and Krstic. Throw in Perk, who had his only double digit scoring season in 2010, finishing 2nd in the league in fg%.

Rondo is one of the finest passing PGs in the league but his assist rate isn't that much greater than everyone else in the league. He's about 2-3 assist better per game than a guy like Jameer Nelson or other decent (but not great) PGs.

Rondo's assist rate over the last 4-5 seasons is about 50% higher than Jameer's.  Also, he's averaged almost 11 assists/game in that time, Nelson's been just over 6. The difference bout 4.4/game) is about twice what you think. For perspective, 4.4 rebounds a game is the difference between Howard or Love and Tristan Thompson or Josh Smith, or 4.4 baskets a game is the difference last year in scoring between LeBron and players like Nick Young or Afflalo.

He's not Magic Johnson averaging 16 assists per game.

He's not. But then Magic never averaged 16 assists/game. His high season is 13.1 compared to 11.7 for Rondo. Numbers-wise, they're probably much more similar than Rondo and Jameer. I should point out that this isn't a comparison between Rondo and Magic. But it's still worth noting that when Magic averaged 13 apg his team made about 47 baskets a game compared to the 35 baskets a game the Celts made when Rondo had 11.7 apg, so clearly Rondo was assisting more of his team's baskets than Magic was with that Lakers team.

« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2014, 12:04:53 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

In a way yes.

Wrong.

I was talking about trading Rondo for Monroe last season and saving money going forward by not signing Bradley.

It's a question of where you put your money, not cap space. I never mentioned cap space.

Yeah, nothing you're mentioning now has any context with your initial post.

Trading Rondo for Monroe, doesn't have anything to do with the decision to keep Bradley.

Signing Bradley, has nothing to do with our buying power to acquire Monroe via free-agency this year either.

So your "signing Bradley instead of going after Monroe" dilemma has no foundation. There's no "instead of" in this situation.

And you don't mention cap space because you don't understand cap space, which is fine.