Author Topic: So is Ainge going to possibly try to go after Greg Monroe?  (Read 21888 times)

Re: So is Ainge going to possibly try to go after Greg Monroe?
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2014, 02:16:47 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I'm wondering if the plan is to throw a huge offer at DeAndre Jordan next offseason. Seems like a defensive difference maker, and Rondo can turn Boston into lob city with Deandre.

Chris Paul isn't a good enough PG to turn LAC into lob city with Deandre?  :)

This board has a tendency to grossly overestimate Rondo's ability to get the most out of other players. It seems like with every prospective big man, someone inevitably pulls out the "Rondo will massively help their game" card. It hasn't happened and it won't happen. Rondo is one of the finest passing PGs in the league but his assist rate isn't that much greater than everyone else in the league. He's about 2-3 assist better per game than a guy like Jameer Nelson or other decent (but not great) PGs. He's not Magic Johnson averaging 16 assists per game. So for a guy like Jordan or Greg Monroe, they might, if they're lucky, get one more bucket per game from the assistance of Rondo. Rajon isn't turning anyone into a scoring machine.

FYI, I'd like to get Jordan here - he seems like a great fit with our other bigs since they can spread the floor. He'd be about the #4 scoring option while on the floor, but that's fine by me because he's there for defense and rebounding. Any scoring over 10ppg is just gravy.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'm wondering if the plan is to throw a huge offer at DeAndre Jordan next offseason. Seems like a defensive difference maker, and Rondo can turn Boston into lob city with Deandre.

Chris Paul isn't a good enough PG to turn LAC into lob city with Deandre?  :)

This board has a tendency to grossly overestimate Rondo's ability to get the most out of other players. It seems like with every prospective big man, someone inevitably pulls out the "Rondo will massively help their game" card. It hasn't happened and it won't happen. Rondo is one of the finest passing PGs in the league but his assist rate isn't that much greater than everyone else in the league. He's about 2-3 assist better per game than a guy like Jameer Nelson or other decent (but not great) PGs. He's not Magic Johnson averaging 16 assists per game. So for a guy like Jordan or Greg Monroe, they might, if they're lucky, get one more bucket per game from the assistance of Rondo. Rajon isn't turning anyone into a scoring machine.

FYI, I'd like to get Jordan here - he seems like a great fit with our other bigs since they can spread the floor. He'd be about the #4 scoring option while on the floor, but that's fine by me because he's there for defense and rebounding. Any scoring over 10ppg is just gravy.

I agree with Cousins.  He's the best point guard in the game.

Overestimate, underestimate all you want.  He's a darn good PG and he makes anyone around him better.

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
My main point was not intended to be commentary on Rondo's impact on DeAndre's offensive game. I expect that to be almost exactly the same as with CP3 in LAC. I think next summer 27 year old DeAndre Jordan will be the defensive/shot blocking anchor at the 5 position Danny will be willing to throw a huge contract at. Additionally, Clips cap position with Blake and CP3 already eating up a lot of cap space might not allow them to keep him.

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2014, 04:49:58 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
I agree with Cousins.  He's the best point guard in the game.

Overestimate, underestimate all you want.  He's a darn good PG and he makes anyone around him better.

He is a darn good PG and I said so.

Best in the game? That's an opinion not shared by anyone outside of Boston. Again, even if he's 3 assists better than any other PG in the league, that's only 1-2 ppg more per starter. He's not going to turn a 15/10 guy into a 22/10 guy.

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2014, 04:51:23 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
My main point was not intended to be commentary on Rondo's impact on DeAndre's offensive game. I expect that to be almost exactly the same as with CP3 in LAC. I think next summer 27 year old DeAndre Jordan will be the defensive/shot blocking anchor at the 5 position Danny will be willing to throw a huge contract at. Additionally, Clips cap position with Blake and CP3 already eating up a lot of cap space might not allow them to keep him.

As I said, I'd love to have him on the team. Draft/develop a top-notch scorer to go along with him and the Cs would be very competitive.

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2014, 10:24:42 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Monroe is just a more experienced, already hit his ceiling, Jared Sullinger. Only player I would want from the Pistons is Josh Smith. The Josh Smith who will not take a 3 pointer the entire year.

Monroe is 6'-9.75" Sully 6'-7.75"  Monroe has 3 inch more standing verticle reach. 1 inch wingspan. Is nearly average guard speed in the 3/4 court speed While sully was terrible and smoked sullinger in the agility while benching several more reps.  Monroe is the guy at Center we hope sully will be some day at the PF slot.

It's that simple
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2014, 12:44:12 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2137364-nba-trade-rumors-latest-updates-on-andrew-wiggins-greg-monroe-and-more

Article mentions that
1: Detroit is willing to listen to sign and trade proposals for Monroe.
Offers have been underwhelming.
2: smith is expected to stay in Detroit. Rumors have been overblown.
3: Boston would be a good fit for Monroe.

Based on this I wonder if Danny has offered green to Detroit. He would allow smith to play PF and would pair really well next to ball hogs Jennings and smith. Would make Detroits front line one of the most athletic in the league.

Boston would gain a longterm solution at center.
We would need to acquire a quick shot blocking 4 to get the most out of Monroe.
We would need to upgrade the 3 but that's been obvious for a while.

For the time being run sully and turner at forwards.
Hopefully swap sully for Henson or draft for similar.

Turner is a stopgap /make good at 3. Either way he holds the position until young is ready.

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2014, 01:01:16 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Monroe is just a more experienced, already hit his ceiling, Jared Sullinger. Only player I would want from the Pistons is Josh Smith. The Josh Smith who will not take a 3 pointer the entire year.

Monroe is 6'-9.75" Sully 6'-7.75"  Monroe has 3 inch more standing verticle reach. 1 inch wingspan. Is nearly average guard speed in the 3/4 court speed While sully was terrible and smoked sullinger in the agility while benching several more reps.  Monroe is the guy at Center we hope sully will be some day at the PF slot.

It's that simple

Did I read your post correctly claiming that Monroe was faster and smoked him in agility?

If so, that's flat-out false. Monroe had literally one of the slowest court speeds and I believe the slowest agility test in the combine. Sully in a back brace is faster than that.

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2014, 01:08:14 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
All signs point to Monroe playing this year out. He will become a FA in 2015 able to pick his destination without worry of Pistons matching. 2015 should see a lot of bigs on the market and higher cap.

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
We need a rim protector not another incredible scoring big man who can't hold his own on the defensive end.
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
We need a rim protector not another incredible scoring big man who can't hold his own on the defensive end.

Who is our current incredible scoring big man?  Don't tell me it's Sully who shoots outside almost as much as he does inside...

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2014, 09:03:36 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown

It's that simple

Did I read your post correctly claiming that Monroe was faster and smoked him in agility?

If so, that's flat-out false. Monroe had literally one of the slowest court speeds and I believe the slowest agility test in the combine. Sully in a back brace is faster than that.

Yes you did read that correctly.  And if you look at the combine measurement stats and read them it will confirm this.  Monroe agility 12.10  3/4 court sprint 3.35  Sullinger 12.77 and 3.81  Sorry but that aint even close!
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2014, 09:11:50 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
Sullinger has the second worst sprint in his class and 7th worst Agility.  But hey bird would have been terrible here also.  I was just saying he isnt all that slow and does not lumber up and down the court as some claim.  He does well for a big.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2014, 09:49:15 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Sullinger has the second worst sprint in his class and 7th worst Agility.  But hey bird would have been terrible here also.  I was just saying he isnt all that slow and does not lumber up and down the court as some claim.  He does well for a big.
I can only go from memory but I feel Bird was pretty fast on the break.  He filled the wings faster than max with tiny going full bore.

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2014, 09:54:56 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I'd argue he really helped Shaq play well the end of his career, made Semih Erden look like an NBA center, and helped Chris Wilcox shoot like 70% from the field.  He probably helped fringe players like Ruan Hollins and Greg Steisma look a little better than they actually are.