Author Topic: So is Ainge going to possibly try to go after Greg Monroe?  (Read 21942 times)

Re: So is Ainge going to possibly try to go after Greg Monroe?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 10:46:45 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
I do think that on a team that can space the floor around him Greg Monroe could be an elite offensive center. I think that with the right Serge Ibaka clone next to him, you could hide him defensively. But I don't think the Celtics are that team, and I don't think Danny Ainge thinks so either.

Serge Ibaka
Kerge Olaka
Kergy Olyny
Kelly Olynyk

My god... how did we not see it before?

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 10:49:08 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 10:53:09 AM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
The fact that he has stayed consistent actually gives me reason to argue he's improved. If your rebounds stay the same from rookie year to a year where you play with Drummond and Smith I'm ecstatic. Drummond is a metal detector when it comes to rebounds, and Smith is a 4 who thinks he's a 3 on offense and he rebounds well. Oh and as far as his PPG average, the dude played with Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith, if those guys don't shoot 75% of a teams shots then they go home and take their ball with them.

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 11:06:56 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 11:11:17 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I'm also curious about what people's definition of defense is and if the majority of what defense entails (especially at the center position) is shot blocking.  I see the term thrown around a lot.  Despite being really good at all other areas including defense, not being a "shot blocker" automatically disqualifies someone as a good defensive player.  I don't get it.  Why is it a necessity with the celtics fans?

Regardless of how you define defense, Greg Monroe is not good at it.

I would take you more seriously if you actually take time to explain instead of blatantly spewing your dislike for the guy.

Just because he has a dislike of the guy doesn't mean he's wrong. Monroe, by every defensive metric, is simply horrible at defense. His combine numbers in agility, the 3/4 court sprint and his vertical were all near or at the bottom of his class. He's dead weight in the middle and opposing guys blow by him with ease. By all accounts he's a hard worker, but he's probably one of the worst interior defenders in the league.

All of the above.  Also re:Clench123, I don't dislike Monroe. (You should bear in mind the old adage about making assumptions and what it makes you.)  I quite enjoy watching him offensively, but I don't let that blind me to his obvious and enormous defensive deficiencies. 

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 11:42:11 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Monroe is just a more experienced, already hit his ceiling, Jared Sullinger. Only player I would want from the Pistons is Josh Smith. The Josh Smith who will not take a 3 pointer the entire year.

So you mean the Josh Smith that doesn't exist then...

There was a season where Josh Smith took only seven three-point attempts in Atlanta.  The Hawks had 53 wins, the most during Smith's tenure there.  J-Smoove showed what he had learned by choosing to set a career high in 3PA the following season.

That, in a nutshell, is why I don't want Josh Smith on the Celtics.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 12:08:46 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Get Monroe find the guy to stretch the floor and defend later.

IMO, Monroe is a 20/10 guy waiting for the touches and minutes.

Rondo would love a guy who could catch and finish like him.

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 12:54:24 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Minutes? What, 33 per game isn't enough? 
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 12:59:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

You could argue that the minutes he needs are at center, not at the 4, and especially not with Josh Smith at the 3.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
The fact that he has stayed consistent actually gives me reason to argue he's improved. If your rebounds stay the same from rookie year to a year where you play with Drummond and Smith I'm ecstatic. Drummond is a metal detector when it comes to rebounds, and Smith is a 4 who thinks he's a 3 on offense and he rebounds well. Oh and as far as his PPG average, the dude played with Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith, if those guys don't shoot 75% of a teams shots then they go home and take their ball with them.
This.
Thanks for saving me the time to write the exact same thing.

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 01:23:23 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Monroe is just a more experienced, already hit his ceiling, Jared Sullinger. Only player I would want from the Pistons is Josh Smith. The Josh Smith who will not take a 3 pointer the entire year.

So you mean the Josh Smith that doesn't exist then...

There was a season where Josh Smith took only seven three-point attempts in Atlanta.  The Hawks had 53 wins, the most during Smith's tenure there.  J-Smoove showed what he had learned by choosing to set a career high in 3PA the following season.

That, in a nutshell, is why I don't want Josh Smith on the Celtics.

Hahahahahaha

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2014, 01:23:51 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

You could argue that the minutes he needs are at center, not at the 4, and especially not with Josh Smith at the 3.

Josh Smith was with Detroit only last year. Monroe has posted essentially the same statistics the last 3 years. What's the excuse for the other two years?

I'm not that anti Greg Monroe, except when it comes to his lack of defense. But you can't blame one year of Smith when Monroe's game - statistically and by watching games - hasn't progressed over the last 3 years. As for him being a Center, I'm not sure I'll trade his 17/10 line when he's giving up 25/15 because he moves like Lurch on the defense.

Monroe is a nice player, but he's not the answer at the max (or near max). At that price he's a liability.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 01:40:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Josh Smith was with Detroit only last year. Monroe has posted essentially the same statistics the last 3 years. What's the excuse for the other two years?

I'm not that anti Greg Monroe, except when it comes to his lack of defense. But you can't blame one year of Smith when Monroe's game - statistically and by watching games - hasn't progressed over the last 3 years. As for him being a Center, I'm not sure I'll trade his 17/10 line when he's giving up 25/15 because he moves like Lurch on the defense.

Monroe is a nice player, but he's not the answer at the max (or near max). At that price he's a liability.

Again, this is misleading. Monroe's advanced statistics were hampered by Andre Drummond. They were murdered by Josh Smith.

I don't think there is much validity to this. Monroe had a .151 WS/48 his sophomore season, the only season, not coincidentally where he played the entire season at the center position. That .151 number this season puts him just behind Dwight Howard and ahead of Marcin Gortat, Al Jefferson, Marc Gasol and Roy Hibbert.

Since then he's been pushed in and out of position by the addition of Andre Drummond, had multiple coaches, and seen major roster turnover. I think the notion that 'he is what he is' is pretty off-base.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2014, 01:46:45 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

He can catch and finish very nicely. He runs the floor really well. But you cant rely on throwing the ball to him in the post and having him operate. He's not center strong when it comes to holding his post position on offense or defense.

He also cant shoot the ball well from mid range. And if offense is his forte he better shoot well, or dominate in the post. He doesn't do either.

I see him as a good numbers on a bad team player. If he is one of your 3 best players and you want to contend for a title, your other 2 guys would have to be all timers like Kobe, Lebron, Shaq.

His lateral foot speed and general laziness on defense is horrible as well.

Bottom line. I do not want this guy on the Celtics making 17 million per year. That would be a fast track to mediocrity if there ever was one.

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2014, 01:50:23 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'm wondering if the plan is to throw a huge offer at DeAndre Jordan next offseason. Seems like a defensive difference maker, and Rondo can turn Boston into lob city with Deandre.