Author Topic: So is Ainge going to possibly try to go after Greg Monroe?  (Read 21974 times)

Re: So is Ainge going to possibly try to go after Greg Monroe?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 08:45:23 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I would hope so but probably not.

We haven't heard a thing about the Celts being linked to Monroe so I am not getting my hopes up.

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 08:55:26 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think in the right situation, Monroe can improve his defense considerably and be a good (but unexceptional) defensive center due to his above average mobility and quickness & adequate combination of size, strength, length.

Detroit has been a terrible place for development over last few years. They have lost their defensive and hard working identity. They go through a new coach almost annually for last 5 years. It's a mess over there.

I wouldn't overlook Monroe's capacity to improve defensively and become a solid defender in a better environment. He is still a young player. Only 4 years into his career. His bad defensive efforts can be turned around.

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 09:10:19 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I'm also curious about what people's definition of defense is and if the majority of what defense entails (especially at the center position) is shot blocking.  I see the term thrown around a lot.  Despite being really good at all other areas including defense, not being a "shot blocker" automatically disqualifies someone as a good defensive player.  I don't get it.  Why is it a necessity with the celtics fans?

Funny how people overlook this requirement when lusting after other bigs like Marc Gassol, love, Aldridge.
D is a lot more then shot blocking.
Granted having a shot blocker to pair with a center like Monroe would be the preferred end point.
Thus my proposal of getting Henson and Monroe.
Love that front court.

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 09:14:40 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm also curious about what people's definition of defense is and if the majority of what defense entails (especially at the center position) is shot blocking.  I see the term thrown around a lot.  Despite being really good at all other areas including defense, not being a "shot blocker" automatically disqualifies someone as a good defensive player.  I don't get it.  Why is it a necessity with the celtics fans?

Regardless of how you define defense, Greg Monroe is not good at it.

I would take you more seriously if you actually take time to explain instead of blatantly spewing your dislike for the guy.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 09:14:55 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Monroe is just a more experienced, already hit his ceiling, Jared Sullinger. Only player I would want from the Pistons is Josh Smith. The Josh Smith who will not take a 3 pointer the entire year.

He's already hit his ceiling despite the fact that he's only 24?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 09:15:35 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Funny how people overlook this requirement when lusting after other bigs like Marc Gassol, love, Aldridge.
D is a lot more then shot blocking.
Granted having a shot blocker to pair with a center like Monroe would be the preferred end point.
Thus my proposal of getting Henson and Monroe.
Love that front court.

What Garnett thinks about this (NSFW)

But seriously, it's true. Relying on Monroe and his 7 foot butt to clog up the lane, while not spectacular, isn't destined for certain doom.

Henson I disagree with because him and Monroe = no spacing. My impression is Henson would provide even less offense than Drummond so Monroe gets double teams for days.

Would rather add Henson alone to our roster right now if it's a buy low.

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 09:28:14 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I do think that on a team that can space the floor around him Greg Monroe could be an elite offensive center. I think that with the right Serge Ibaka clone next to him, you could hide him defensively. But I don't think the Celtics are that team, and I don't think Danny Ainge thinks so either.
Haven't we shown to be in the asset accumulation phase of rebuilding now? If Monroe improves the talent level on this team and makes us better now why not acquire him, even if he isn't a perfect fit.

I personally blame his coaching and the roster around him on his defense early on. That's not to say he will become elite with good coaching, just passable. If he stays on Detroit I think Stan Van Gundy will get the best defense in Monroe's career out of him.

I think the main problem with Monroe is the price tag. Not only will he cost us assets to acquire, but he already turned down $12 mm a year from the Pistons so he wants big money.

The question is, with the assets it costs to acquire him and the future cap space it takes to sign him would it improve the team now and in the long term to make that move? (I think if we could get him for Green and Bass it's a good deal. Green and Bogans would push us into the tax which is a non starter and I'd prefer not to give up picks if he is making big money)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 09:28:21 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Regardless of how you define defense, Greg Monroe is not good at it.

I would take you more seriously if you actually take time to explain instead of blatantly spewing your dislike for the guy.

Just because he has a dislike of the guy doesn't mean he's wrong. Monroe, by every defensive metric, is simply horrible at defense. His combine numbers in agility, the 3/4 court sprint and his vertical were all near or at the bottom of his class. He's dead weight in the middle and opposing guys blow by him with ease. By all accounts he's a hard worker, but he's probably one of the worst interior defenders in the league.

Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 09:32:32 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Monroe is just a more experienced, already hit his ceiling, Jared Sullinger. Only player I would want from the Pistons is Josh Smith. The Josh Smith who will not take a 3 pointer the entire year.

Yep. Statistics suggest that this may very well be the case. Monroe's last 3 years in the league:

2012: 15.4 ppg / 9.7 rpg / .7 blpg
2013: 16.0 ppg / 9.6 rpg / .7 blpg
2014: 15.2 ppg / 9.3 rpg / .6 blpg

All in similar minutes. There is absolutely no metric - basic or advanced - that suggests any part of his game has progressed in the last 3 years. This is a pretty clear-cut case of WYSIWYG - What You See Is What You Get.  Is this a guy worthy of the maximum contract? Not in my opinion.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 09:48:44 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Yep. Statistics suggest that this may very well be the case. Monroe's last 3 years in the league:

All in similar minutes. There is absolutely no metric - basic or advanced - that suggests any part of his game has progressed in the last 3 years. This is a pretty clear-cut case of WYSIWYG - What You See Is What You Get.  Is this a guy worthy of the maximum contract? Not in my opinion.

I don't think there is much validity to this. Monroe had a .151 WS/48 his sophomore season, the only season, not coincidentally where he played the entire season at the center position. That .151 number this season puts him just behind Dwight Howard and ahead of Marcin Gortat, Al Jefferson, Marc Gasol and Roy Hibbert.

Since then he's been pushed in and out of position by the addition of Andre Drummond, had multiple coaches, and seen major roster turnover. I think the notion that 'he is what he is' is pretty off-base.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 09:56:06 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I agree with your conclusion -- that he's holding out for the max, even though he isn't worth it.

My guess is that he, along with his agent, is trying to take advantage of the problems within Detroit that IP has detailed, and the uncertainty about whether or not he's stalled out.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 10:11:43 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

So you mean the Josh Smith that doesn't exist then...

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 10:13:21 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

To say that he's already hit his ceiling is silly.  He's a down low player who's sharing the post with a better post player in Drummond.  That is definitely 100% impacting his numbers...

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 10:14:30 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40

I agree with your conclusion -- that he's holding out for the max, even though he isn't worth it.

My guess is that he, along with his agent, is trying to take advantage of the problems within Detroit that IP has detailed, and the uncertainty about whether or not he's stalled out.

Monroe would be a nice addition if we had a true Center he could play along side with like a Dwight Howard type.

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 10:28:45 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Possibly -- he has that in Drummond now, though.