Author Topic: So is Ainge going to possibly try to go after Greg Monroe?  (Read 21939 times)

So is Ainge going to possibly try to go after Greg Monroe?
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:17:48 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
There's been little to none posted rumors about Ainge's interest in Monroe. The Suns/Blazers are the only team interested, and I'm surprised, given Monroe's age and averaged 15.4 PPG, and 9.2 RPG in 31ish minutes. Those are pretty solid numbers.

Someone posted a Green/Bass trade with 2nd round pick or Clippers pick for Monroe. The only caveat is that Monroe would most likely want close to a max contract.

David Falk once said that he tries to convince his players, to take a little less if it comes down to giving them the right environment to succeed. Maybe Monroe could be convinced into signing/trading with us for 2-3 extra mill off?

I'm just a little confused as to why there isn't any rumors about us going after Monroe.

Now don't get me wrong, Monroe is a C. He played C in his younger days, and was better suited as a C. He isn't a great shot blocker, nor is he speedy/quick enough to elevate to contest shots. But Monroe is a great post player/maker, knows how to pass, and is a decent rebounder. Per 36, hes a walking double double, and he is a year younger than Kevin Love.

At C his PER is 19.9, while at PF its 15.4, and also posts better offensive/defensive numbers at C than at the 4.

I also think Monroe fits the motion offense system better. We just need better shooters for Rondo/Monroe/Turner to pass to.

Do you guys think Ainge is considering Monroe as his option before the off-season ends? Monroe may not be a superstar, but I think hes very underrated. With the roster the way is set up, there's definitely a big trade coming in the future.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: So is Ainge going to possibly try to go after Greg Monroe?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:26:41 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
No.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:40:39 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I do think that on a team that can space the floor around him Greg Monroe could be an elite offensive center. I think that with the right Serge Ibaka clone next to him, you could hide him defensively. But I don't think the Celtics are that team, and I don't think Danny Ainge thinks so either.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:46:03 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
You answered your own question when you pointed out that he is not a rim protector.  That's what the Celtics need.  He just doesn't fit the bill. 

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 02:03:07 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I agree with the OP.  Monroe with a spaced floor is a solid center.  His defense is not that bad he just isnt a rotation shot blocker.  Neither is Kevin Love. This kid is young, big, solid and can pass. I also see him doing well in the Offense BS wants to run.  And if we can get him, might we be that much more attractive to Kevin Love next summer?  I think these two would compliment each other well..  If we cant pull off a Kevin love deal this would be a very nice second option.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 03:58:04 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
And what do we send out to get him? Perhaps Bass, Olynyk, Bogans and picks gets it done? I'm concerned what kind of gaps we create in the roster to get him.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 07:31:47 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I'm all for it. He's not the finishing touch but he is a great building block.
He can shoot, pass and is a load to defend.
He's not a shot blocker but he is a solid defender at the 5. As another poster said k love isn't a shot blocker either and folks are willing to give away the farm for him. With either player you still need to add pieces. With Monroe you still have the assets to get them.

Two trades:
Green, bass filler for Monroe.
Sully or Oly for Henson.

Henson is the perfect pairing with Monroe.
Henson: A mobile shot blocker who scores at the rim off rebounds/passes. Monroe: a potent
offensive threat who demands defensive attention, passes very well, rebounds.

Rondo, smart
Bradley, smart
Turner, Wallace, young
Henson, Oly
Monroe, Zeller.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:45:54 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I would be excited if we somehow land him. Besides, he's really the odd man out in Detroit, IMO. Drummond is a beast and JSmith is more suited to play 4 than Monroe. Rondo for Monroe, KCP and a pick?
- LilRip

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 08:08:21 AM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
I can't say if he will but what i can say is that he can trade for him now or never. You never know with DA. He can make you think he won't trade for a player but will do it. If the deal is right he may trade for him. I wish he trade for him.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 08:09:05 AM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
I can't say if he will but what i can say is that he can trade for him now or never. You never know with DA. He can make you think he won't trade for a player but will do it. If the deal is right he may trade for him. I wish he trade for him.

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 08:22:16 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Monroe is just a more experienced, already hit his ceiling, Jared Sullinger. Only player I would want from the Pistons is Josh Smith. The Josh Smith who will not take a 3 pointer the entire year.

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 08:29:41 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
He really should.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 08:40:06 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I would be excited if we somehow land him. Besides, he's really the odd man out in Detroit, IMO. Drummond is a beast and JSmith is more suited to play 4 than Monroe. Rondo for Monroe, KCP and a pick?

+1....I had proposed a similar trade last week in http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=72571.msg1708215#msg1708215

I had Rondo, Wallace and Bass and the Clips first to Detroit for Monroe, Pope and Jennings. I think that works for both sides on many levels and is quite fair.

I also think (despite SVG's comments to the contrary) that the situation there is very fluid as to whether JSmith or Monroe will go. I would be happy with either.

Smith wouldn't cost us Rondo, and would mean that we would be on the build around Rondo track. Monroe, on the other hand, could either mean full blown youth movement, or if we constructed a trade around Green, mean that we could still on the "build around Rondo" track, so more flexibility.

Smith will cost us a lot less. I also look at a trade for either as helping us shed Wallace's contract.

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 08:40:36 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm also curious about what people's definition of defense is and if the majority of what defense entails (especially at the center position) is shot blocking.  I see the term thrown around a lot.  Despite being really good at all other areas including defense, not being a "shot blocker" automatically disqualifies someone as a good defensive player.  I don't get it.  Why is it a necessity with the celtics fans?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 08:44:06 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I'm also curious about what people's definition of defense is and if the majority of what defense entails (especially at the center position) is shot blocking.  I see the term thrown around a lot.  Despite being really good at all other areas including defense, not being a "shot blocker" automatically disqualifies someone as a good defensive player.  I don't get it.  Why is it a necessity with the celtics fans?

Regardless of how you define defense, Greg Monroe is not good at it.