Author Topic: Is love really a top 10 player?  (Read 5740 times)

Re: Is love really a top 10 player?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 10:52:15 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
He likes to take midrange and 3 point shots, he is not a slasher; His defense leaves much to be desired; Top 10 - I don't know; Let's see:

1. Lebron
2. Duncan
3. Parker
4. Durant
5. Aldridge
6. Melo
7. Lillard
8. Dwight Howard
9. Curry
10. Dirk

The key IMHO is the player has to have an impact on his team, Love - I guess does at times. He maybe top 15 or 20 IMO;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 10:55:32 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Yes he is.

The idea that he can't create his own shot is strange too. He creates tons of shots for himself and other with his shooting ability and post game, he's not a good isolation player however. But that's fine because he doesn't isolate very often.

Obviously love is a great offensive player and can score in a lot of ways. But he will never be an iso guy that you can give the ball to and get out of the way, and thats a big reason why Minnesota loses so many close games. They don't have anyone to get the tough points once defenses tighten up late in the 4th.

How many teams have won a title without a closer? Love is a good player and way better than anyone in our front court, but he has been anointed a top 10 player without having the success to support that ranking.

With Love off the court, the Wolves are a negative 13.6 points worse offensively...

That should tell you how much of a impact the rest of the entire team is offensively... Love was their only offensive weapon. Rubio can't score, Brewer can only SCORE through fastbreak points, and Budinger/Shved/Martin are all terrible players defensively, and their offense don't make up for the lack of defense.
He likes to take midrange and 3 point shots, he is not a slasher; His defense leaves much to be desired; Top 10 - I don't know; Let's see:

1. Lebron
2. Duncan
3. Parker-
4. Durant
5. Aldridge
6. Melo
7. Lillard
8. Dwight Howard
9. Curry
10. Dirk

The key IMHO is the player has to have an impact on his team, Love - I guess does at times. He maybe top 15 or 20 IMO;

Disagree with the majority of your ranking, but rankings are stupid, because its all based on preference.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 11:02:33 PM »

Offline truth4lyfe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
 I think the spurs are a unique and special team that was good enough to win without a truly great scorer, but they still had the big three and pop. I don't think we have the pieces to replicate their success. 

I agree that ball movement is the way to go, but you still need a big time iso scorer at times. For a guy who plays limited D to be considered top 10, he better be able to get my team tough buckets once the play breaks down. Love can't and thats why the twolves lose so many close games and haven't made the playoffs since kg

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 11:15:03 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I think the spurs are a unique and special team that was good enough to win without a truly great scorer, but they still had the big three and pop. I don't think we have the pieces to replicate their success. 

I agree that ball movement is the way to go, but you still need a big time iso scorer at times. For a guy who plays limited D to be considered top 10, he better be able to get my team tough buckets once the play breaks down. Love can't and thats why the twolves lose so many close games and haven't made the playoffs since kg

Love struggles when he is the go to guy (sounds familiar? Hello Mr. Green); He alone cannot be the focal point during crunch time; Players like PP, Kobe and Dirk relish at the opportunity, Love hasnt and probably will not.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 11:24:30 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Griffin is in your top 10 and not Love and Melo.  Yea, there is logic there ::)  Your list is quite laughable to be honest.

Many believed Griffin to be right behind KD and Lebron in MVP discussion. (More than even CP3).

Griffin > Love and Melo

He fixed his free throws this season (71%), averaged 24-10-4, and expanded his game greatly. He has legit post moves and a decent mid range now.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 11:28:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
No, he isn't. But he might be, maybe someday.

What Kevin Love is, though, is an incredible complementary player to LeBron. That we know for sure.

as an aside: I don't buy into the Blake hype. Improving as a player does not equal instant MVP status, even though Blake is a good player, and certainly ahead of Love in the PF department.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 11:32:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
to be fair to Melo though, he was in the west prior and did make the playoffs several times...even went as far as the ECF one year if I recall

You could argue that Melo helped prevent his team from getting beyond the first round in all but one of his seasons in Denver.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 11:34:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
to be fair to Melo though, he was in the west prior and did make the playoffs several times...even went as far as the ECF one year if I recall

You could argue that Melo helped prevent his team from getting beyond the first round in all but one of his seasons in Denver.

You could, but you can argue almost anything. For example, you could pin George Karl's failure to put him at the 4, or the fact that his teammates were not so good until 2009, or the fact that he was the best player on a ~50 win western conference team. So on, so forth.

Melo's teams usually lose in spite of 'Melo, not the other way around.

On the other hand, you can absolutely say that he "should've" just waited for free agency to join the Knicks. That's also wrong, but if you don't think about the '11 lockout it makes sense.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 11:38:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Ranking players is worthless.

This should be repeated for emphasis, though.

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 11:38:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

If isolations are the most inefficient play in basketball, do you really need a big-time iso-scorer?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 11:45:46 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

You could, but you can argue almost anything. For example, you could pin George Karl's failure to put him at the 4, or the fact that his teammates were not so good until 2009, or the fact that he was the best player on a ~50 win western conference team. So on, so forth.

On the other hand, you can absolutely say that he "should've" just waited for free agency to join the Knicks. That's also wrong, but if you don't think about the '11 lockout it makes sense.

I'd argue Melo was the the third-best player (at best) on the Nuggets when they made it to the ECF.  The Nuggets were a 50-win team with Carmelo Anthony and a 50-win team after he was gone.

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 11:50:25 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
No he is not. A top 10 player does makes an impact at both ends.
Funny how so many seem to think Allen Iverson was so great and Kevin Love is so overrated.  Iverson was one of the worst defensive players that I have ever seen- and he was an MVP.  Love is merely below average, not horrendous on defense.

We can add Steve Nash to the list of MVP's (not top 10, but MVP) who couldn't guard anyone.

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 11:57:59 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
1. The Queen
2. Durant
3. Dwight
4. Parker
5. Paul
6. Westbrook
7. Curry
8. Harden
9. Irving
10. Gasol
11. Melo
12. George
13. Griffin
14. Aldridge
15. Dirk
15. Lopez
16. Rose
17. Wade
18. Love
19. Duncan
20. Horford
21-22. DWill or Rondo, whoever comes back from injury better
23.DMC
24. Other Gasol
25. Iggy

Wall, Noah (how?),  Hibbert, Kobe, Horford, Rondo, Cousins, Wall, Bosh, Lilliard, Davis (definitely), and Leonard all have a chance to possibly pass Love next year.

Who, please come and tell us all the correct answer.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 12:02:20 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
1. The Queen
2. Durant
3. Dwight
4. Parker
5. Paul
6. Westbrook
7. Curry
8. Harden
9. Irving
10. Gasol
11. Melo
12. George
13. Griffin
14. Aldridge
15. Dirk
15. Lopez
16. Rose
17. Wade
18. Love
19. Duncan
20. Horford
21-22. DWill or Rondo, whoever comes back from injury better
23.DMC
24. Other Gasol
25. Iggy

Wall, Noah (how?),  Hibbert, Kobe, Horford, Rondo, Cousins, Wall, Bosh, Lilliard, Davis (definitely), and Leonard all have a chance to possibly pass Love next year.

Who, please come and tell us all the correct answer.
Lopez, Rose, and Wade ahead of Love is a Joke.  And Harden is at #8 and he is a much worse defender than Love.

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 12:02:50 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
No he is not. A top 10 player does makes an impact at both ends.
Funny how so many seem to think Allen Iverson was so great and Kevin Love is so overrated.  Iverson was one of the worst defensive players that I have ever seen- and he was an MVP.  Love is merely below average, not horrendous on defense.

We can add Steve Nash to the list of MVP's (not top 10, but MVP) who couldn't guard anyone.

Allen Iverson was a much more impactful player than Kevin Love on offense, and its not even close. Same goes with Nash -- the idea that you're even making the comparison is ridiculous.

I'd argue Melo was the the third-best player (at best) on the Nuggets when they made it to the ECF.  The Nuggets were a 50-win team with Carmelo Anthony and a 50-win team after he was gone.

Right -- and I would say say that's because Anthony brought back a team's worth of ransom in the NYK trade, with players who were uniquely suited to play Nuggets style uptempo basketball, since the Knicks front office was utterly incompetent.

This is, of course, if we were arguing about where to put Anthony in an arbitary list.