Author Topic: Before we all anoint Evan Turner  (Read 12833 times)

Re: Before we all anoint Evan Turner
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2014, 07:06:26 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
What a weird thread title, what triggered this? Evan Turner is cheap short-term bench scoring, I think most C's fans know that, nothing wrong with this signing.

I think it was inspired in response to some perhaps overly-excited commenters comparing Turner to a 'poor man's Paul Pierce' and already installing him as the starting SF (insisting a Green trade was imminent and that Turner was better than Green anyway).    Some Celtic fans' only knowledge of Turner was from his games against the Celtics - in which tended to play some of his best games.

As usual, attempts to impose a dose of reality on that enthusiasm just resulted in hyperbolic exchanges to either extreme:  Turner is Great!   Turner Sucks!

Financially, this is a low-risk deal.   The only real significant risk is potentially locker room chemistry -- given Turner's reputation.   But both Sullinger and Brad Stevens are apparently familiar with Turner from way back so perhaps that will mitigate that risk.

Thank you.  TP.  That's all that I was trying to say.

What's amazing is that I haven't read anything stating that he was a special player and you felt it necessary to create this thread.   Everyone knows he a bench player on the C's (a non-playoff team).  The highest praise of seen of Turner is that he might compete with Green (a player many bash regularly) for playing time.  Or my statement that I think he better than Bayless. Remember as well that this a forum that has tried to find reason to like and be excited for J.Johnson, Terrence Williams, Jordan Crawford, and more recently Tyler Zeller. 

Overall just comes across as nit-picking and negativity.   

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2014, 07:13:37 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
17-6-4 w/ 76'rs
The 76ers played at the fast pace in the league and gave him free range to chuck up shots.

17-6-4 isn't impressive one bit, especially given that once he landed on a real team Rasual Butler outplayed him.

He was second in scoring on a bad team...you can look at that lots of ways.  One way is that he was being guarded by most teams best players.  Philli did chuck the ball and please don't confuse me listing his stats as saying he is a great scorer.  I just mentioned that he's a willing scorer, something J.Green sometimes isn't.  He's stats are also almost identical to Thaddeus Young and MCW.

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/phi/philadelphia-76ers

« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2014, 11:46:16 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
can someone explain this to me?

these two small forwards played for bad teams.

one averages

17ppg, 6rpg on 43% shooting - Evan Turner

other averages:

16.2 ppg, 5.1 rpg on 41% shooting - Gordon Hayward

one is worth 15million$, the other is worth part of the MLE and is considered a bust/reclamation project.

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2014, 12:10:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
can someone explain this to me?

these two small forwards played for bad teams.

one averages

17ppg, 6rpg on 43% shooting - Evan Turner

other averages:

16.2 ppg, 5.1 rpg on 41% shooting - Gordon Hayward

one is worth 15million$, the other is worth part of the MLE and is considered a bust/reclamation project.
The white guy always gets more. They are harder to come by. Lol jk sure it's not so much about play but trust. Hayward always gets good chemistry hype while Turner is the opposite.  But on the court two near equal players imo.

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The white guy always gets more. They are harder to come by.
Of course they do, just look at Scal and Walter.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The white guy always gets more. They are harder to come by.
Of course they do, just look at Scal and Walter.

Good 1 Veal was the show stopper.