Author Topic: Before we all anoint Evan Turner  (Read 12762 times)

Re: Before we all anoint Evan Turner
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Who on this blog has anointed Evan Turner as anything?

I was asking myself the same thing.

There are some people who seem to think that Evan Turner must be getting signed as a replacement starter because a Jeff Green trade has to be in the works.  Of course, Green is the superior player.

When I think "anoint", I'm thinking that someone is declaring the solution or the idea that he'll be the main guy.

Suffice to say, neither Green nor Turner is the long term answer for this franchise.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2014, 12:01:58 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

There are some people who seem to think that Evan Turner must be getting signed as a replacement starter because a Jeff Green trade has to be in the works.  Of course, Green is the superior player.

When I think "anoint", I'm thinking that someone is declaring the solution or the idea that he'll be the main guy.

Suffice to say, neither Green nor Turner is the long term answer for this franchise.

There are plenty of people in this forum looking for a solution to their desire of "anyone but Green (or Wallace)".
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2014, 12:02:45 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I doubt they're even short run answers, unless the question is "what SF rotation would be mediocre enough to give us another shot at the lottery?"

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2014, 12:14:35 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

There are plenty of people in this forum looking for a solution to their desire of "anyone but Green (or Wallace)".

The concept is true.  Its just that Turner is not.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2014, 12:26:15 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
What a weird thread title, what triggered this? Evan Turner is cheap short-term bench scoring, I think most C's fans know that, nothing wrong with this signing.

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2014, 12:39:50 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
What a weird thread title, what triggered this? Evan Turner is cheap short-term bench scoring, I think most C's fans know that, nothing wrong with this signing.

I think it was inspired in response to some perhaps overly-excited commenters comparing Turner to a 'poor man's Paul Pierce' and already installing him as the starting SF (insisting a Green trade was imminent and that Turner was better than Green anyway).    Some Celtic fans' only knowledge of Turner was from his games against the Celtics - in which tended to play some of his best games.

As usual, attempts to impose a dose of reality on that enthusiasm just resulted in hyperbolic exchanges to either extreme:  Turner is Great!   Turner Sucks!

Financially, this is a low-risk deal.   The only real significant risk is potentially locker room chemistry -- given Turner's reputation.   But both Sullinger and Brad Stevens are apparently familiar with Turner from way back so perhaps that will mitigate that risk.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
evan turner is this yr's jared bayless. don't worry he won't be here long.

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
evan turner is this yr's jared bayless

He is a little better than Bayless, one is a career starter and one is not.

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2014, 02:58:46 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26

Nope.

Marcus Thornton is this years Bayless ....just look at the numbers.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4017/marcus-thornton

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3417/jerryd-bayless

Turner has a much better production...look at the Phili vs Indian split

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4239/evan-turner 

17-6-4 w/ 76'rs

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2014, 03:05:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
17-6-4 w/ 76'rs
The 76ers played at the fast pace in the league and gave him free range to chuck up shots.

17-6-4 isn't impressive one bit, especially given that once he landed on a real team Rasual Butler outplayed him.

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2014, 03:07:39 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
17-6-4 w/ 76'rs
The 76ers played at the fast pace in the league and gave him free range to chuck up shots.

17-6-4 isn't impressive one bit, especially given that once he landed on a real team Rasual Butler outplayed him.

I think it is, and Turner was traded midseason and he had little time to adjust to the Pacers system.

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2014, 03:22:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
17-6-4 w/ 76'rs

I think it is, and Turner was traded midseason and he had little time to adjust to the Pacers system.
Was Glen Davis's 15-7-2 impressive for Orlando after Howard left? Pace adjusted his numbers were higher than Turners.

(Per 100 possessions Turner: 24-8-5 Davis: 25-12-3)

Junky efficiency with boxscore totals pumped up by being on a bad team that played at a fast pace.

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2014, 04:14:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Marcus Thornton is this years Bayless ....just look at the numbers.

Marcus Thornton is more likely to be this year's MarShon Brooks.  Their defensive reputations appear to be similar.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2014, 05:52:54 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I was thinking more along the lines of Jordan Crawford, myself.  If he plays well, I don't see Turner on this team passed the deadline.

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 05:54:59 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I think it was inspired in response to some perhaps overly-excited commenters comparing Turner to a 'poor man's Paul Pierce' and already installing him as the starting SF (insisting a Green trade was imminent and that Turner was better than Green anyway).    Some Celtic fans' only knowledge of Turner was from his games against the Celtics - in which tended to play some of his best games.

As usual, attempts to impose a dose of reality on that enthusiasm just resulted in hyperbolic exchanges to either extreme:  Turner is Great!   Turner Sucks!

Financially, this is a low-risk deal.   The only real significant risk is potentially locker room chemistry -- given Turner's reputation.   But both Sullinger and Brad Stevens are apparently familiar with Turner from way back so perhaps that will mitigate that risk.

Thank you.  TP.  That's all that I was trying to say.