Author Topic: Before we all anoint Evan Turner  (Read 12801 times)

Before we all anoint Evan Turner
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
As, "fill in the blank," it's important to remember how bad he is defensively.  Even the most generous of fans have to admit that these two highlights are atrocious.  Getting dropped by Jeff Teague?  Okay, I can see that given Teague's distinct quickness advantage, but to be crossed by Steve Nash, and on his 40th birthday no less, :o is inexcusable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-WQhRNOPCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJECUj9iv6U

To both I say -

Re: Before we all anoint Evan Turner
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:50:37 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Evan Turner is a decent defender. You can find a few bad highlights for every player in the league if you want to.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:50:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
As, "fill in the blank," it's important to remember how bad he is defensively.  Even the most generous of fans have to admit that these two highlights are atrocious.  Getting dropped by Jeff Teague?  Okay, I can see that given Teague's distinct quickness advantage, but to be crossed by Steve Nash, and on his 40th birthday no less, :o is inexcusable.

To both I say -

Okay, and your point? Everyone knows ET is terrible defensively...

Everyone at Celticsblog is so quick to judge and be negative...

Turner came to the Celtics with the help of Falk, because HE wanted a fresh start, and wanted a new environment. So if hes willing to listen and give us a chance to try out, and see what he can accomplish under Coach Brad Stevens system, why can't you?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 09:53:19 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I think an old Nash swerved on AB before...

I'm not making a case for Turner, just saying "No D" Nash isn't that bad... he is now old as dirt but I'd take him as a backup PG if he could stay healthy but he can't so... 0.0
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:26:06 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

To both I say -

Turner came to the Celtics with the help of Falk, because HE wanted a fresh start, and wanted a new environment. So if hes willing to listen and give us a chance to try out, and see what he can accomplish under Coach Brad Stevens system, why can't you?

Wow, you're being more than a little ridiculous.  I never said that I didn't want the guy to succeed (I hope that he does), I was just trying to illustrate a point that was made in other threads about him being good to solid, defensively.  I'm sure that he can turn it around, it's just that these two clips are pretty discouraging.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 10:29:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I think an old Nash swerved on AB before...

I'm not making a case for Turner, just saying "No D" Nash isn't that bad... he is now old as dirt but I'd take him as a backup PG if he could stay healthy but he can't so... 0.0

If Nash can even stay on the court, he should be the 3rd guard on a contender, who has players to compensate for his shortcomings, defensively.  He doesn't fit on a rebuilding team.  I don't remember him crossing up Bradley, was that during Avery's rookie year or before he really got any experience?

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Evan Turner is a decent defender. You can find a few bad highlights for every player in the league if you want to.

I'm well aware of that, but how many guys in their 20s can't at least stay in front of a 40 year old? :o  That's all I'm saying.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 10:53:04 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

To both I say -

Wow, you're being more than a little ridiculous.  I never said that I didn't want the guy to succeed (I hope that he does), I was just trying to illustrate a point that was made in other threads about him being good to solid, defensively.  I'm sure that he can turn it around, it's just that these two clips are pretty discouraging.

You created a thread called, "before we all anoint Evan Turner."

You then posted two highlight plays in which Turner got crossed over/ankle broken. That has happened to like almost every player in the NBA... I don't know who has said Turner is a great or solid defender. Hes average. Solid is putting it nicely.

I mean your original post/premise of it is pretty negative, and I mean no offense, so please excuse me if I'm being a little ridiculous.

I like to think Evan 'Kermit,' Turner will actually perform pretty well, since there isn't any instantaneous pressure on him like there was with the Pacers/76ers.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 10:58:43 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Dude, to be fair, there aren't that many in the NBA who are great at defense. Carmelo Anthony isn't great at defense, LBJ is average, so is Kobe. Even Avery Bradley isn't the best at defense, yes he is a lockdown defender but even he has been poor at times defending.

Turner is more of a scorer and we supposedly lack scoring, so it works out, and Turner can only get better with Stevens and he can get better at defense with him.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 11:07:53 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
not supporting Turner or knocking him...but really?  2 clips is proof that he is awful?  Remember in the playoffs, Lebron went to close out Patty Mills and Mills blew by him and scored a layup? Im sure that happened to Lebron multiple times in a long season... So he must be an awful defender by your standards.

Nash, even at 39-40, has beaten defenders on a nightly basis. I played city league until I was 50, and still made the young guys look silly once or twice a game. In turn, they owned me on  more than a few occasions as well. Lets just wait and see...

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 11:15:40 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
not supporting Turner or knocking him...but really?  2 clips is proof that he is awful?  Remember in the playoffs, Lebron went to close out Patty Mills and Mills blew by him and scored a layup? Im sure that happened to Lebron multiple times in a long season... So he must be an awful defender by your standards.

Nash, even at 39-40, has beaten defenders on a nightly basis. I played city league until I was 50, and still made the young guys look silly once or twice a game. In turn, they owned me on  more than a few occasions as well. Lets just wait and see...

Agreed. TP.

Turner is an average defender. But hes still 25, and played in a terrible 76ers team that only had one direction; and that was tanking. I think Turner under the right coaching can at least learn to utilize his decent ball handling skills to create more opportunities for teammates, and maybe off-set Bradley's terrible passing ability, while improving on defense.

Defense is also based on effort, and hustle. If Turner can buy into Brad Steven's systems, I can honestly see his perimeter defense being a lot better.

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 11:23:37 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Not sure you can call a portion of our mid-level exception anointing. Most people here are withholding judgement because we don't know what is next. No one is rushing to anoint Evans until we know if this means that Green or Bradley or both are being shipped out. We are well positioned for a big trade. Then we can talk about anointing someone. Evans is not that some one; but he can be a starting NBA player on a bad team and a good 6th man on a decent team. Would I be disappointed if he was starting at SF? Not if it meant we could land K Love or some other quality big.

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 11:49:57 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

You are apparently the first person ever to say "Evan Turner is a decent defender".

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 11:56:21 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

You are apparently the first person ever to say "Evan Turner is a decent defender".

Yep.  Indiana was a defensive team and the reviews were that Turner was pathetic.  He had no clue where his man was half of the time.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 11:59:34 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Now that's hilarious ;D  TP.