Author Topic: Doc to quit Clippers if Sterling says  (Read 7017 times)

Re: Doc to quit Clippers if Sterling says
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 06:58:31 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Good.  Finally someone with some cajones.  Doc is right, why should he a black man in America make a racist white man in America even more wealthy?

Now if only Chris Paul and Blake Griffin can stop selling out to corporate America and concern themselves with why they are making millions for a fool and a racist, maybe this loser will be gone from the NBA and TMZ.

Draft pick aside, all the Clippers should quit.\

Then the Celts can pick em all up...I kid, I kid.

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 07:02:24 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
What a wonderful role model Doc is turning out to be huh?

Man up Rivers!  You got a team there that is following YOU not Sterling.  Let all those events play out and YOU live up to the contract you signed.  If you quit, why should the players not do likewise?

*Sheesh*  To think I use to have respect for this guy.  Past tense.

Rak

Don't be ridiculous.  This is more than a game of basketball.  Staying and getting checks from Sterlin is choosing to be part of the problem.  Being a good role model is standing up for what is right regardless of money or fame or recognition.  I would actually respect him more if he choose to leave.

sure, but if none of this was made public Doc would absolutely still be there. he only wants to leave because it makes him look bad if he stays. not because of the actual reason.

Maybe.  But he really didn't have to come out and say that he'd leave if Sterlin is still the owner by next season when nobody else on the team is saying that.  All he has to do is cop out under the banner of "I'm here for the players and I'll let the NBA handle it" or something like that.

obviously i'm just speculating here but i'm betting the players are waiting to see what doc does. I still think he's doing it because of how it makes him look and not because he doesn't want to work for a racist.

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 07:08:03 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Yay!!!

There still a chance the clips pick becomes the gem of gems.

West is already stacked. Clips have no room for error.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 07:21:38 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
doubt he leaves

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 07:23:58 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
conspiracy theory -

Doc, KG, and PP were all traded so they can screw up their respective organizations, that will further benefit the Celtics  ;D
Brilliant ! tp
just like cowens did all those years ago  ;)

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 07:24:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Nah doc isn't going to quit... and this will all be resolved eventually.  I'm sure they are just making that idea public to back up the argument that Sterling's presence causes irreparable damage to the Clippers brand and business and that the league was right to remove him... and put pressure on the court to close the book on this asap.   

I don't see a scenario where Boston's pick benefits from this.   If Doc bails and Chris Paul/Blake both determine they can't play another basketball game for Sterling... who exactly are the players who WILL?   The entire team will boycott... perhaps the entire league...  games will be cancelled... millions of dollars will be at stake... something will bend there.   The NBA is not going to allow the Clippers to field a team of scab players perceived to be "uncle toms" for sticking around... or a coach who is perceived as a "bigot" for agreeing to the position.

This will get taken care of... this threats by Doc are good ammunition towards their argument in the trial.

There's no logical scenario where Doc quits, ONLY Chris Paul and Blake decide to sit it out... a bunch of racist scabs lead the Clippers to 15 wins.  Not happening.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:33:10 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 07:31:56 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Nah doc isn't going to quit... and this will all be resolved eventually.  I'm sure they are just making that idea public to back up the argument that Sterling's presence causes irreparable damage to the Clippers brand and business and that the league was right to remove him... and put pressure on the court to close the book on this asap.   

I don't see a scenario where Boston's pick benefits from this.   If Doc bails and Chris Paul/Blake both determine they can't play another basketball game for Sterling... who exactly are the players who WILL?   The entire team will boycott... millions of dollars will be at stake... something will bend there.   The NBA is not going to allow the Clippers to field a team of scab players perceived to be "uncle toms" for sticking around... or a coach who is perceived as a "bigot" for agreeing to the position.

This will get taken care of... this threats by Doc are good ammunition towards their argument in the trial.

I am not sure it will get settled so easily. Sterling doesn't want his lasting image being "the racist who got booted from the NBA" (even though that's inevitable). I think this might not be solved until around training camp, in which case who knows what will happen.

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 07:36:32 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
What a wonderful role model Doc is turning out to be huh?

Man up Rivers!  You got a team there that is following YOU not Sterling.  Let all those events play out and YOU live up to the contract you signed.  If you quit, why should the players not do likewise?

*Sheesh*  To think I use to have respect for this guy.  Past tense.

Rak

Don't be ridiculous.  This is more than a game of basketball.  Staying and getting checks from Sterlin is choosing to be part of the problem.  Being a good role model is standing up for what is right regardless of money or fame or recognition.  I would actually respect him more if he choose to leave.

sure, but if none of this was made public Doc would absolutely still be there. he only wants to leave because it makes him look bad if he stays. not because of the actual reason.

Maybe.  But he really didn't have to come out and say that he'd leave if Sterlin is still the owner by next season when nobody else on the team is saying that.  All he has to do is cop out under the banner of "I'm here for the players and I'll let the NBA handle it" or something like that.

obviously i'm just speculating here but i'm betting the players are waiting to see what doc does. I still think he's doing it because of how it makes him look and not because he doesn't want to work for a racist.
The above thread within the thread illustrates that Doc will be both supported and criticized no matter what he decides to do. 

I think the best way for me to view Doc's ultimate decision (to stay or go if DS remains in the picture) is to realize that I don't know him.  Speculating on the character of a guy who, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, seems to be a law-abiding citizen and is probably at least as decent a person as I am (which means flawed like us all), doesn't do much for me. 

If he decides to leave I'll be glad because this potentially creates some disarray.  If he stays, I'll still root for Clips losses next year.

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 07:42:23 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Don't lose any sleep about getting a good pick from the Clippers.

Sterling lost on a couple of points already in this trial last Friday and the medical scan evidence is pretty conclusive as to him suffering from dementia. The chances of Sterling prevailing in this trial are slim and the chances of him prevailing against the NBA on contractual issues are even slimmer.

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 07:45:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Dear Doc:   ::)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 07:52:18 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Let me preface this by saying two things:

1) I loved Doc when he was here.

2) I don't think any of this comes to pass; Sterling will eventually sell.

But that's what makes this worse. Doc used to seem like a stand up guy, who took obstacles as they came. Now, he's trying to seem like a tough, morally upstanding guy when he already sees the writing on the wall.

And while I love Celtics Doc, Clipper Doc is an opportunist who decided to overlook Sterling's long history of bigotry because he wanted to coach a contender and benefit from being in the limelight.

And as I have said many times before, I am OK with that. Many of us have gone into jobs with terrible bosses because of a perceived opportunity. But when you knowingly sign up for situations like this one, you lose the right to play the victim card.

While not ideal fit with the rebuild, Doc had a lucrative and positive position here.

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 08:24:22 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Even if doc rivers doesn't coach this team and sterling is the owner. No way this clippers team is a lottery pick or anywhere near a top 10 pick. No point of following this situation.

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 08:32:02 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
I can't imagine Doc walking away from the millions of dollars left on his contract.

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 08:37:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I can't imagine Doc walking away from the millions of dollars left on his contract.

Neither can he.  That's why he came out with this pronouncement after the Sterling ouster is essentially a done deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 08:50:19 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Ahh Doc, the media savvy coach, you just said this after the guaranty of Sterling's ouster was imminent. Hope this backfires and Sterling stays;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;