Author Topic: Doc to quit Clippers if Sterling says  (Read 7016 times)

Re: Doc to quit Clippers if Sterling says
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 08:56:52 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
If love ends up in Cleveland I wouldn't be surprised to see doc push his way out of LA to go coach the cavs
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 08:56:55 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
LOL...Doc is not on record as saying anything. What you have is the Corporate errand boy Parson getting away with hearsay testimony at trial. Doc is not on record. He let Parsons put it out there. If Doc were really manning up he would come out, address a presser and make his position known. With this he gets plausible deniability. Doc Rivers is selling snake oil as usual.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:10:36 AM by Ogaju »

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Lol at the posts. [dang]ed if you do, [dang]ed if you don't. So what should Doc do? Just stop coaching for good? ???
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 09:08:45 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
LOL...Doc is not on record has saying anything. What you have is the Corporate errand boy Parson getting away with hearsay testimony at trial. Doc is not on record. He let Parsons put it out there. If Doc were really manning up he would come out, address a presser and make his position known. With this he gets plausible deniability. Doc Rivers is selling snake oil as usual.

This was also true during the break-up of the KG/PP era. Doc flip-flopped but eventually he really wanted to go to the Clips. He kept saying he will remain as the Cs coach but he already was on his way out. Good for DA to get a first round pick out of his exit;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 09:11:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
If love ends up in Cleveland I wouldn't be surprised to see doc push his way out of LA to go coach the cavs

yeah, didn't Lebron reportedly court Doc to coach the Heat while the Celtics big three was still together? That was reportedly one of the reasons Pierce dislikes Lebron.

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 10:25:20 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
What a wonderful role model Doc is turning out to be huh?

Man up Rivers!  You got a team there that is following YOU not Sterling.  Let all those events play out and YOU live up to the contract you signed.  If you quit, why should the players not do likewise?

*Sheesh*  To think I use to have respect for this guy.  Past tense.

Rak

This mentality is screwed up in my opinion.  This mentality is why the oppressed usually continues to get more oppressed by the oppressor.  This is more than a game of basketball.  Staying and getting checks from Sterlin is choosing to be part of the problem.  Being a good role model is standing up for what is right regardless of money or fame or recognition.  I would actually respect him more if he choose to leave.

The mentality is sound...what's screwed up are the reactions that people have in this country to things nowadays.

Sterling is on his way out...kicking and screaming, but time is not on his side, not in basketball nor real life.  Racism will not die with him at his passing, nor will it disappear in the NBA when he is removed as an owner.  If anyone chooses to believe that there is no chance that similar opinions could possibly reside with any of the rest  of the owners, that's their choice...but if it exists in Sterling, you can reasonably believe that it exists in others too.  It just hasn't seen the light of day yet.

The screwy part is Doc's feelings that he matters to this situation enough to even make the statement.  It's as asinine as the discussion last year, when the story first broke, as to whether or not the Clipper players would compete again in the playoffs because of the story.

A good coach teaches players to "know their roles"...it's time he should learn his role in this situation.  If you believe that somebody quitting when the going gets tough makes that person respectable, that's your choice. 

But what is needed right now from a man in his position is solid and sound leadership.  Want to make a full rebuke of the disgusting comments made by the owner?  Do it and do it loudly.  However, give your full, unwavering support to the players, the fans, and the city you now represent. 

He would not end up quitting on Sterling...he would be quitting all of them instead.  His staying or going has no impact whatsoever on what happens to Sterling...that will be decided in another court.  Doc's place is on the basketball court. 

Respectfully,

Rak

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 10:49:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
So I posted the original story, but I thought I'd chime in:

I don't think it's up to me, or any of us, to say what Doc's feelings should be.  Maybe he knew that Sterling was a racist and didn't care, or maybe he was told by people he trusted that the rumors were exaggerated.  Maybe Doc was a bit classist and thought Sterling didn't like poor black people, but was okay with rich ones.  Maybe Doc thought he could tolerate it and changed his mind (I don't see why we shouldn't be allowed to change our mind in this society -- if we're not, why do we spend hours on these message boards arguing our points?)  Maybe Doc is trying to pull his own power play, believing his threat will help move Sterling sell (I'd think Doc's ego was bigger than previously imagined in this case, but whatever).  Maybe, yes, he's doing it for his own PR.  Maybe it's for multiple reasons.

I will say this -- the situation with Sterling is not the situation Doc imagined he was signing up for.  Even if he knew Sterling to be a racist, he couldn't imagine that, after years of this being an open secret, it would finally erupt into multiple lawsuits.  From a personal standpoint, one time, about five years ago, I left a job I'd had for three years and took a new job, because it had a better title and paid me 40% more.  I was told I would be doing A.  For two months, I did.  Then, after being there 2 months, they laid off 25% of the workforce, and my job was completely changed.  It was a miserable situation - I wasn't developing the skills I expected to, and everyone was on pins-and-needles every day, wondering if there were more layoffs to come (there were).  At the same time, I kept the job, partly because it was difficult to find a anew one (it was 2009), and partly out of guilt (if I was going to leave they would have kept someone else instead of laying that person off).  I was so excited to finally leave a year later for grad school.  Sure, Doc is more handsomely paid than I was, but he's still a person, and it can still stink to have a job you hate.  If he's able to find a new one (and I'm sure he would be as long as the Clippers didn't attempt to stop him) who are we to judge? 

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 10:54:44 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
So I posted the original story, but I thought I'd chime in:

I don't think it's up to me, or any of us, to say what Doc's feelings should be.  Maybe he knew that Sterling was a racist and didn't care, or maybe he was told by people he trusted that the rumors were exaggerated.  Maybe Doc was a bit classist and thought Sterling didn't like poor black people, but was okay with rich ones.  Maybe Doc thought he could tolerate it and changed his mind (I don't see why we shouldn't be allowed to change our mind in this society -- if we're not, why do we spend hours on these message boards arguing our points?)  Maybe Doc is trying to pull his own power play, believing his threat will help move Sterling sell (I'd think Doc's ego was bigger than previously imagined in this case, but whatever).  Maybe, yes, he's doing it for his own PR.  Maybe it's for multiple reasons.

I will say this -- the situation with Sterling is not the situation Doc imagined he was signing up for.  Even if he knew Sterling to be a racist, he couldn't imagine that, after years of this being an open secret, it would finally erupt into multiple lawsuits.  From a personal standpoint, one time, about five years ago, I left a job I'd had for three years and took a new job, because it had a better title and paid me 40% more.  I was told I would be doing A.  For two months, I did.  Then, after being there 2 months, they laid off 25% of the workforce, and my job was completely changed.  It was a miserable situation - I wasn't developing the skills I expected to, and everyone was on pins-and-needles every day, wondering if there were more layoffs to come (there were).  At the same time, I kept the job, partly because it was difficult to find a anew one (it was 2009), and partly out of guilt (if I was going to leave they would have kept someone else instead of laying that person off).  I was so excited to finally leave a year later for grad school.  Sure, Doc is more handsomely paid than I was, but he's still a person, and it can still stink to have a job you hate.  If he's able to find a new one (and I'm sure he would be as long as the Clippers didn't attempt to stop him) who are we to judge?

Cleveland on speed dial perhaps?  ;D
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 11:01:12 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Doc is hypocritical.  He knew what Sterling was about before he signed to coach there.

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 11:26:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I can't imagine Doc walking away from the millions of dollars left on his contract.

I actually believe the rumor that Doc might have quit last summer if Sterling had vetoed his signing of JJ Reddick, so I can Rivers being willing to quit if Sterling stays.  It makes it easier that he has a guaranteed job in broadcasting, though.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 11:31:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I can't imagine Doc walking away from the millions of dollars left on his contract.

I actually believe the rumor that Doc might have quit last summer if Sterling had vetoed his signing of JJ Reddick, so I can Rivers being willing to quit if Sterling stays.  It makes it easier that he has a guaranteed job in broadcasting, though.

Exactly. He's not going to be hurting -- and he's going to absolutely get another gig as soon as possible. No one's* going to hold the fact that he bailed on Donald Sterling against him.

No one* does not extend to Celtics Blog posters.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 11:50:12 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
What a wonderful role model Doc is turning out to be huh?

Man up Rivers!  You got a team there that is following YOU not Sterling.  Let all those events play out and YOU live up to the contract you signed.  If you quit, why should the players not do likewise?

*Sheesh*  To think I use to have respect for this guy.  Past tense.

Rak

Don't be ridiculous.  This is more than a game of basketball.  Staying and getting checks from Sterlin is choosing to be part of the problem.  Being a good role model is standing up for what is right regardless of money or fame or recognition.  I would actually respect him more if he choose to leave.

sure, but if none of this was made public Doc would absolutely still be there. he only wants to leave because it makes him look bad if he stays. not because of the actual reason.

Maybe.  But he really didn't have to come out and say that he'd leave if Sterlin is still the owner by next season when nobody else on the team is saying that.  All he has to do is cop out under the banner of "I'm here for the players and I'll let the NBA handle it" or something like that.

obviously i'm just speculating here but i'm betting the players are waiting to see what doc does. I still think he's doing it because of how it makes him look and not because he doesn't want to work for a racist.
The above thread within the thread illustrates that Doc will be both supported and criticized no matter what he decides to do. 

I think the best way for me to view Doc's ultimate decision (to stay or go if DS remains in the picture) is to realize that I don't know him.  Speculating on the character of a guy who, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, seems to be a law-abiding citizen and is probably at least as decent a person as I am (which means flawed like us all), doesn't do much for me. 

If he decides to leave I'll be glad because this potentially creates some disarray.  If he stays, I'll still root for Clips losses next year.

I really don't think it can be disputed that he's only leaving because it makes him look bad if he stays. if this wasn't made public he'd still want to be there.

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2014, 11:53:29 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I don't believe for a second that he will quit.  By the end of the summer he's going to say that he will stay.  He will talk about what a difficult decision it was, but that he couldn't walk away from the players.

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2014, 12:22:26 AM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
I hope the whole Clippers organization implodes.  I hope Sterling keeps the team and gets a fraction of the 2 billion he was going to get.  I hope Rivers leaves and the players demand to be traded.  I hope the Celtics get a sweet pick.

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2014, 12:25:28 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
He could potentially be setting himself up to be fired if sterling keeps the team. Then he gets paid still.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14