Author Topic: [Rumor] Kevin Love to Cavaliers a done deal [Rumor]  (Read 17535 times)

Re: [Rumor] Kevin Love to Cavaliers a done deal [Rumor]
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 04:59:49 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Just because we get in on this deal does not mean we are the only team that could make it work. If we can get something for the trouble, then why not jump before another team gets in on it. If we could somehow get Dieng for any combo of filler, picks and scrap then DA would be making a HUGE score.

If Cleveland somehow ends up with Love AND Dieng, then I will be p---ed. I mean, it seems everybody can make a trade for a center except us (and this would be a throw in).

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 05:00:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I still think it makes the most sense for Cleveland to demand Pekovic if they are going to give up Wiggins.

Love, Pekovic, Martin

for

Wiggins, Bennett, Thompson, Waiters, Varejao

Minnesota picks up four recent top 5 picks (including the real prize in Wiggins), Varejao's expiring contract, clears out Martin, and opens up more time for Dieng.  Cleveland has the best starting 5 in the east and maybe all of basketball adding those three guys to Irving and James and can feel better about giving up Wiggins to get Pekovic.  Seems like it makes a lot of sense for both teams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 05:02:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Does Cleveland have a Trade Exemption or something?  How could they take on our nonguaranteed contacts without sending back a comparable $$$?  I may be missing something but it does not seem to add up.

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 05:03:12 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
That team would also be a terrible defensive team.  On offense, there might need to be more than one ball.

Of course LeBron would just lobby the league office and they would change the rule (lol)

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 05:11:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Does Cleveland have a Trade Exemption or something?  How could they take on our nonguaranteed contacts without sending back a comparable $$$?  I may be missing something but it does not seem to add up.

Cleveland does have a little cap room, but it's a little unclear as to what they're looking in terms of help.  Presumably they want someone with nonguaranteed contracts or cap room to take on Berea, and get something like Dieng or picks for helping out.  Or they want a lot of nonguaranteed  contracts now so they can make a trade in a couple of months and use those contracts to match all the extra salary they'd take on in Love, Berea, and Martin.  I think this "deal" is an amalgamation of several rumors pieced together, which don't completely sync up with each other.

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 05:35:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
This works cap-wise:

Boston
*Salary in/out   4.5/5.3*
Barea

Cleveland
*Salary in/out  15.7/13.4*
Love

Minnesota
*Salary in/out  17.9/18.7*
Wiggins
Bennett
Bogans
Haywood

So then the question is how much compensation do we receive in order to facilitate such a trade? Pick(s) and/or Dieng?

gary washburn @GwashburnGlobe  ·  2h
Hearing Kevin Love to #cavaliers progressing and wouldn't be surprised if J.J. Barea is included in deal #timberwolves

Woj- Minnesota wants a package for Love to include guard J.J. Barea, who has $4.5 million left on his expiring deal – and possibly guard Kevin Martin, who has three years and $21 million left. As part of a larger deal, the Cavaliers want to include 2013 No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett and a future No. 1 pick for Love.

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO  ·  2h
TWolves G Kevin Martin and C/F Gorgui Dieng are other names that have come up in talks with Cavs about Kevin Love, sources say.

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 05:37:42 PM »

fitzhickey

I still think it makes the most sense for Cleveland to demand Pekovic if they are going to give up Wiggins.

Love, Pekovic, Martin

for

Wiggins, Bennett, Thompson, Waiters, Varejao

Minnesota picks up four recent top 5 picks (including the real prize in Wiggins), Varejao's expiring contract, clears out Martin, and opens up more time for Dieng.  Cleveland has the best starting 5 in the east and maybe all of basketball adding those three guys to Irving and James and can feel better about giving up Wiggins to get Pekovic.  Seems like it makes a lot of sense for both teams.
That'd be an awful defensive team.

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
This is my least favorite part of the season, and probably part of the reason I actively dislike Stevie Nicks era Fleetwood Mac.

Dude, there are some things you just can't say.

When the rain washes him clean, he'll know

This deal looks pretty much done. Love is not coming to Boston so I hope Ainge can help facilitate it. Potentially throw Bogans contract in and see if another asset is attainable.

HELL NO

I am not helping Cleveland get Love.

They can get Love on their own.

That would be as stupid and counter-productive as Minnesota not wanting to trade Kevin Love to Boston because of the Garnett deal (if that was true).

Yeah thanks....I'll decide whether I think it's stupid or not.

How does it benefit you if Kevin Love ends up with Cleveland?

I'm sure if Cleveland needs another trade partner to bring in Kevin Love, and is willing to offer that trade partner young players or picks for helping, one will emerge.  Teams like Philly, Orlando, and Utah have no interest in stopping the Love deal, because it's not going to affect their team-building at all.  The deal will happen.  I'd rather miss out on Love and get something than miss out and get nothing.  Missing out is pretty much guaranteed at this point, so might as well get something.

But there's two developments taking place here which are very irritating and frustrating.

The first one is the Cavs have been literally handed everything on a silver platter this summer from the NBA.

The no 1 pick, Lebron James returning (which by the way the Celts already helped out with by getting involved in that 3 team deal) and now getting Kevin Love too?

It's a bit much.

And then there's Flip Saunders being a d**che with not wanting to deal Love here because supposedly the Celts don't have the right assets.

And we are going to sit here and help facilitate this???

I wouldn't if I were DA on principle alone.

Just my two cents. :)

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 06:06:39 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
If the C's could attain a nice young center in Dieng there's no way Ainge is going to care that Flip spurned Boston. It's his job to make the team better and that would be just it with that kind of trade.

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 06:13:55 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
the fact that Clevelands ineptitude as a franchise has been rewarded so much makes me sick

1st lebron leaves becahse they dont know how to put a team around him.

then they proceed to get 3 #1 picks in the last 4 years...then Lebron returns.

They got wiggins in a year where they were trying to make the playoffs...if they didnt, even with Lebron they have NO chance at Love

you hate to think the NBA is rigged. but lebron leaves the cavs and they are rewared with 3 #1 picks? that is almost unheard of

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 06:15:23 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
This is my least favorite part of the season, and probably part of the reason I actively dislike Stevie Nicks era Fleetwood Mac.

This deal looks pretty much done. Love is not coming to Boston so I hope Ainge can help facilitate it. Potentially throw Bogans contract in and see if another asset is attainable.

HELL NO

That would be as stupid and counter-productive as Minnesota not wanting to trade Kevin Love to Boston because of the Garnett deal (if that was true).

I'm sure if Cleveland needs another trade partner to bring in Kevin Love, and is willing to offer that trade partner young players or picks for helping, one will emerge.  Teams like Philly, Orlando, and Utah have no interest in stopping the Love deal, because it's not going to affect their team-building at all.  The deal will happen.  I'd rather miss out on Love and get something than miss out and get nothing.  Missing out is pretty much guaranteed at this point, so might as well get something.

But there's two developments taking place here which are very irritating and frustrating.

The first one is the Cavs have been literally handed everything on a silver platter this summer from the NBA.

The no 1 pick, Lebron James returning (which by the way the Celts already helped out with by getting involved in that 3 team deal) and now getting Kevin Love too?

It's a bit much.

And then there's Flip Saunders being a d**che with not wanting to deal Love here because supposedly the Celts don't have the right assets.

And we are going to sit here and help facilitate this???

I wouldn't if I were DA on principle alone.

Just my two cents. :)

Agreed, the Cavs are on their own.

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 06:17:38 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

That ignores the evidence from Minnesota that Pekovic and Love are a bad fit next to each other.  You should have at least one big who is a rim protector, which neither of them is.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2014, 06:22:29 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

HELL NO

Ainge shouldn't be stubborn and refuse to gain value just to make it harder for Cleveland to acquire Love, especially since it won't prevent a deal if the teams are just shopping for a third team to make the cap numbers work.  The Celtics are in a position where all they should care about is if they get value from a deal and if they are passing up future, greater value by trading an asset such as the unguaranteed nature of Bogans' contract too early.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2014, 06:25:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

That ignores the evidence from Minnesota that Pekovic and Love are a bad fit next to each other.  You should have at least one big who is a rim protector, which neither of them is.
Why would the Cavs need Pekovic and his gargantuan contract? Varejao and Love are a perfectly adequate starting frontcourt.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2014, 06:30:29 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

HELL NO

Ainge shouldn't be stubborn and refuse to gain value just to make it harder for Cleveland to acquire Love, especially since it won't prevent a deal if the teams are just shopping for a third team to make the cap numbers work.  The Celtics are in a position where all they should care about is if they get value from a deal and if they are passing up future, greater value by trading an asset such as the unguaranteed nature of Bogans' contract too early.

I'm not picking the Cavs and the Twolves scraps. If they want to facilitate a three way trade, then look somewhere else.