Author Topic: Jeff Green must be getting traded  (Read 8128 times)

Re: Jeff Green must be getting traded
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 08:55:38 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Green may be traded, but he's no giveaway. People think we're just giving him away for nothing bc we're taking a low cost flier on Evan Turner?

I agree with this 100%.  Green is a better player than Turner.  We aren't going to just dump him for whatever comes along.

I think it is Turner who is trade bait before the deadline after we feed him some minutes and improve his trade value.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is plan A in Danny's mind. If Stevens can showcase Turner in a way that improves on some of his perceived deficiencies (e.g., getting his 3pt% up by improving shot location/choice), maybe we can flip him to a contender for a decent 2nd rounder. Or, include him in a larger deal.

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't see how Green is getting moved necessarily. I'm sure Danny will be open to trading him, but Turner isn't the sort of move that tells us much one way or another.

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Get Tayshaun to mellow out Wallace?

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 09:08:10 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I don't see how Green is getting moved necessarily. I'm sure Danny will be open to trading him, but Turner isn't the sort of move that tells us much one way or another.

Agreed. At this point in the rebuild, Danny would probably pursue trades that left us with 15 PGs on the roster, if he thought it'd help us return to contention more quickly. Positional-need moves are something one thinks about in the final steps.

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 09:52:56 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think people are missing the point: Danny signed Turner for one reason, and one reason alone, to acquire assets.

I don't think there's anything bigger than that going on. Best case scenario, Turner salvages his career and gives Danny lots of options. He could hold onto Turner and trade Green or vice versa. Or he could hold onto both of them and look to trade a guard (sliding Turner down to the 2).

The only thing that strongly seems to be indicated by this move is that Gerald Wallace won't be seeing the floor much this year. And I don't think that is a big deal. He has zero value for us. Even if he was to totally regain his old form, he won't get enough minutes to ever put up the numbers to convince someone to take him without giving up value. And we won't be good enough where it would behoove us to play vets to the detriment of developing the youngsters. So I think Stevens will make him ride the pine and if he causes problems in the locker room, Danny will probably just send him home like they sent Bogans home last year.

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
I think people are missing the point: Danny signed Turner for one reason, and one reason alone, to acquire assets.

I don't think there's anything bigger than that going on. Best case scenario, Turner salvages his career and gives Danny lots of options. He could hold onto Turner and trade Green or vice versa. Or he could hold onto both of them and look to trade a guard (sliding Turner down to the 2).

The only thing that strongly seems to be indicated by this move is that Gerald Wallace won't be seeing the floor much this year. And I don't think that is a big deal. He has zero value for us. Even if he was to totally regain his old form, he won't get enough minutes to ever put up the numbers to convince someone to take him without giving up value. And we won't be good enough where it would behoove us to play vets to the detriment of developing the youngsters. So I think Stevens will make him ride the pine and if he causes problems in the locker room, Danny will probably just send him home like they sent Bogans home last year.

Jon you said it best. Clearly a move that will try and jump start Turners career and hope it works out for both sides. Maybe we move him for nice pieces at the deadline.

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 11:09:47 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
My original post was more along the lines that we had so many players at the 2-3 position at this point that somebody has to go and in my mind the most likely would be Green who frankly hold the most value. He can guard big and small threes, is a great third option and his contract is not nuts in the grand scheme of things. I do not see us moving Young, I think we see the chance to make him grow and improve into a Paul George/Chandler Parsons type player. Wallace is not going anywhere sadly, neither is Thorton. Green seemed the most logical choice.

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 11:15:15 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Green is never going to Memphis if John Hollinger still works there.
They hired him for his basketball expertise and according to Hollinger, Jeff Green is the equivalent to a wet blanket bouncing a ball out there.

He was the biggest critic of Danny giving him 9 million per year at the time, saying Jeff was a soft chump. He was kinda right but kinda wrong I guess.

I do agree Green would be an excellent fit with his three and D abilities.
The way to beat the Grizzlies is to just double team in the post and force them to kick out to their terrible shooters. Spurs were the first ones to exploit the Grizzlies. Length and stretch ability without massive rebounding required....Green is their man.
Hollinger sucks anyway.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Here's the problem though, Falk is Green's agent too. Not sure Falk would have Turner sign in Boston without any assurances from Ainge that it wouldn't cause a Green departure.

Beat me to it.

This would only make sense if Green was going to be traded somewhere he was ok with going to.

Falk makes more money off Green's contract -- and potentially much bigger next contract if Green has a solid season this year.  He's not going to bring a guy (Turner) in at a fraction of the MLE to mess that up.

So either Falk is sure this isn't going to mess up Green's chances of a big year here in Boston or he's got assurances that Green is going somewhere where he'll be in a good situation.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2014, 11:53:28 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I can't see a scenario where he doesn't get traded.

Turner didn't sign here to be a backup at 15 mins per game. The Celtics already have a logjam at SG with Smart, Bradley and Thornton all needing minutes. James Young will need some playing time at SG/SF too. So I don't see Turner playing any SG. He's a SF and between him and Young, the position is filled.

Also, don't Green and Turner have the same agent (Faulk)? If so, I can't see Faulk steering Turner here only to get benched behind Green. So that means that Jeff Green must be going elsewhere...

Except, at a portion of the MLE, that's exactly what you pay backups who play 15 minutes.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 12:11:54 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Why do people say this after every move? Literally every time we trade or sign someone, someone else is out the door and it never happens.

It's obnoxious at this point.

No. It's really not obnoxious at all. It's logical. You don't have to be a genius to connect the dots. For one, basic math says someone has to go. We have 18 players. We can only keep 15. Hate to break it to you but someone else IS out the door before the season begins. We have 7-8 people for the SG and SF spots here. Turner signed here for environment and fit to rebuild his value. Meaning he is going to HAVE to get minutes here to do this. In order to get minutes. SOMEBODY is getting moved. Green is as likely a candidate as anyone because he is basically on an expiring deal and he is a tradeable asset.

Except that Green is NOT on an expiring deal.  Not at all.

In fact, Green's contract makes it slightly less likely he will be moved unless it is to a place that (a) really wants him bad and (b) he is likely to want to go to.

Green has a Player Option for 2015-16.    Any team that trades for him now has to consider that he may be a one-year rental (if he opts out) or he may be a two-year commitment on their cap (if he opts in). 

Whether he exercises that option will depend on a lot of things that are unknown right now.   If he has a great year, he'll have incentive to opt-out in order to sign a bigger contract.  If he has a bad year, he'll have financial incentive to opt-in for the financial security.   Or not - what if he is traded to a crappy place he doesn't want to stay and has a bad year there?  He may still opt out and take his chances as a free agent.   Or, he goes somewhere, has a bad year and opts-in, even though the team doesn't want him anymore?

Those variable outcomes make for a tremendous variance on the value teams would be willing to trade for him.

Green could certainly be traded.   I'm not saying he won't be.   But the above uncertainties tend to pare down the market for possible landing spots and make it more difficult overall.

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2014, 12:30:05 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Green is never going to Memphis if John Hollinger still works there.
They hired him for his basketball expertise and according to Hollinger, Jeff Green is the equivalent to a wet blanket bouncing a ball out there.

He was the biggest critic of Danny giving him 9 million per year at the time, saying Jeff was a soft chump. He was kinda right but kinda wrong I guess.

I do agree Green would be an excellent fit with his three and D abilities.
The way to beat the Grizzlies is to just double team in the post and force them to kick out to their terrible shooters. Spurs were the first ones to exploit the Grizzlies. Length and stretch ability without massive rebounding required....Green is their man.
Hollinger sucks anyway.

There you go I fixed that second paragraph for ya.  :D