Author Topic: Birdman Contract  (Read 6153 times)

Birdman Contract
« on: July 22, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Per Stein: Heat give Birdman two fully guaranteed years at 10.4

This true? Now I absolutely love Birdman... But two fully guaranteed years at MLE money? Interesting. Thoughts here?

Re: Birdman Contract
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:40:13 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Centers get paid extra.

So Birdman's contract looks about right.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 12:48:57 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
He played for practically nothing in the last years for them and gave them good minutes.
He deserves it.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 01:45:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The heat really seem to be just making panic moves to stay as relevant as possible Lebron. However, if you take a step back it is really hard to make sense of what they are trying to do.

The downgrade from Lebron to Deng is obviously huge. McRoberts is not much of an average player, and probably a below average starter for a team trying to compete for a championship (how much would he play in san antonio). Granger barely cracked the playoff rotation of the Clippers.

However, since then the deals have gotten even stranger. If they drafted Napier and have cole under contract why do they even want to bring back the benched chalmers?

Anderson is going to be 35 and was starting to battle injuries last year. Why invest 10 million for him?

What is the end goal for the Heat? If Riley really is all about championships it is pretty impossible to see Wade, Bosh and Deng leading them to one. So what is the point of all these moves?

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I haven't seen a salary site that has Miami's updated signings.  How much room do they have below their cap after signing Bosh, Wade, Deng and McRoberts? 

They won't have their MLE (only the room exception), so if they're paying Birdman $5 million per season, it has to come from cap room.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:26:30 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
The heat really seem to be just making panic moves to stay as relevant as possible Lebron. However, if you take a step back it is really hard to make sense of what they are trying to do.

The downgrade from Lebron to Deng is obviously huge. McRoberts is not much of an average player, and probably a below average starter for a team trying to compete for a championship (how much would he play in san antonio). Granger barely cracked the playoff rotation of the Clippers.

However, since then the deals have gotten even stranger. If they drafted Napier and have cole under contract why do they even want to bring back the benched chalmers?

Anderson is going to be 35 and was starting to battle injuries last year. Why invest 10 million for him?

What is the end goal for the Heat? If Riley really is all about championships it is pretty impossible to see Wade, Bosh and Deng leading them to one. So what is the point of all these moves?
honestly, i think the end goal is to sell game tickets. im from south florida, and birdman is a fan favorite even though he is not much of a player. so not surprised they did this. same thing with chalmers to a lesser degree.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:45:38 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Centers get paid extra.

Yeah I agree.  He's a good player I'd like to have him in my big man rotation.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 08:00:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Centers get paid extra.

Do people not realize this guy is 36 and someone that relies on athleticism? If a guy with a history of hard drug use (he won't even say which drugs he used, just that they were bad) is going to be thwarting father time, well then that is a miracle. However, he is pretty close to the end of his career. Getting centers at the end of their career (like we have done with sheed, jermaine and Shaq) have all been at this price or lower. All of those players were a lot more accomplished and skilled than anderson.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I haven't seen a salary site that has Miami's updated signings.  How much room do they have below their cap after signing Bosh, Wade, Deng and McRoberts? 

They won't have their MLE (only the room exception), so if they're paying Birdman $5 million per season, it has to come from cap room.

He has been with the Heat for two seasons, so they can go over the cap to pay him around MLE level using early Bird rights.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 08:18:39 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Centers get paid extra.

That ship has sailed.

Would've loved him 2-3 years ago when he chose Miami.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 08:53:53 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Birdman could have helped during our championship runs in 2009-2012; I guess management was scared because of the child sex charges (which was proven as false) against Birdman;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 09:01:04 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I believe they used the MLE on McRoberts, BLE on Granger, and Room on Haslem.

Haslem 2 yrs 5.58M
Wade 2 yrs 31.1M
Chalmers 2 yrs 8.3M
Deng 2 yrs 19.8M
McRoberts 4 yrs 22.6M
Granger 2 yrs 4.2M

Last I heard they were attempting to do a S&T with Charlotte to save their MLE, but were unsuccessful. Not sure if they indeed used the MLE or had the cap room to do so. 

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 09:22:15 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

I believe they used the MLE on McRoberts, BLE on Granger, and Room on Haslem.

Haslem 2 yrs 5.58M
Wade 2 yrs 31.1M
Chalmers 2 yrs 8.3M
Deng 2 yrs 19.8M
McRoberts 4 yrs 22.6M
Granger 2 yrs 4.2M

Last I heard they were attempting to do a S&T with Charlotte to save their MLE, but were unsuccessful. Not sure if they indeed used the MLE or had the cap room to do so.

Good for charlotte, I don't want to help vampire riley and Dirty Wade
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 10:21:50 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

He has been with the Heat for two seasons, so they can go over the cap to pay him around MLE level using early Bird rights.
If they signed other players with cap space then they would have had a hefty cap hold for Birdman (and Haslem) [correct me if I'm wrong Roy H.].
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 11:20:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

If they signed other players with cap space then they would have had a hefty cap hold for Birdman (and Haslem) [correct me if I'm wrong Roy H.].

As an early Bird free agent, the cap hold for Birdman would have been 130% of last season's salary, which was the minimum (or close to it).  They did not renounce Andersen, but they did renounce Haslem (and used the room exception to sign him) in order to fit Deng, McRoberts, and Granger under the cap.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference