Author Topic: Cleveland looking for nonguaranteed contracts; Chance to trade Bogans?  (Read 13198 times)

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
60 days LB.  If they need the $5.2 mil like I described, there may be another move  they have to make.  This has given them about $3.4 mil non-guaranteed.
everything I've read is that they need the non-guaranteed deals because they need more money to acquire Kevin Martin in the Love trade.  Bennett and Wiggins are being traded for Love, Minny just wants to unload Martin, so that is what Cleveland is trying to do.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
60 days LB.  If they need the $5.2 mil like I described, there may be another move  they have to make.  This has given them about $3.4 mil non-guaranteed.
everything I've read is that they need the non-guaranteed deals because they need more money to acquire Kevin Martin in the Love trade.  Bennett and Wiggins are being traded for Love, Minny just wants to unload Martin, so that is what Cleveland is trying to do.

As I've said, it's unclear what the final deal will be.  One rumor had them looking for a vet center, so they may be moving Hayward.  There's some talk of Berea and/or Dieng in a deal. But if it's Wiggins, Bennett, and non-guaranteeds for Love and Martin, they're about $1.2 million short if they can stay under the luxury tax after the trades, and further away if they're over the tax.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

As I've said, it's unclear what the final deal will be.  One rumor had them looking for a vet center, so they may be moving Hayward.  There's some talk of Berea and/or Dieng in a deal. But if it's Wiggins, Bennett, and non-guaranteeds for Love and Martin, they're about $1.2 million short if they can stay under the luxury tax after the trades, and further away if they're over the tax.

In your calculation, how much is Wiggins being paid?  Is it max slot money?

For Cleveland to put together two simultaneous trades for Love and Martin, I think they'd have to send out the following:

Martin:  at least $4,428,334, under the 150% + $100k rule

Love:  at least $10,719,063, under the $5 million rule

Bennett:  $5,563,920
Wiggins:  $5,510,640 (signed to 120% of scale)

So, they're fine with Love.

For Martin, they've got $3,364,465 with their trade.  That leaves them about $1,063,689 short.  Matt Dellavedova plus a signed, and then traded, second rounder gets them where they need to be.

Also, it's important to know where Cleveland is in relation to the salary cap.  If they're under the cap, they don't have to wait 60 days to trade the newly acquired players / salaries.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:59:22 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I've read Martin and Barea too as their goal.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Yes.  The most efficient way to do the trade (if it's just Love and Martin) is two deals: Wiggins+Bennett for Love, and non-guaranteeds for Martin.  They need $4,528,333 to take on Martin (assuming under the tax still).  They just got a little under $3.4 mil of those contracts.  They obviously can send more salary on their own roster, but it's not clear who they'd send (aside from maybe Haywood).

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yes.  The most efficient way to do the trade (if it's just Love and Martin) is two deals: Wiggins+Bennett for Love, and non-guaranteeds for Martin.  They need $4,528,333 to take on Martin (assuming under the tax still).  They just got a little under $3.4 mil of those contracts.  They obviously can send more salary on their own roster, but it's not clear who they'd send (aside from maybe Haywood).

Harris / Powell + Delladoeva?  Or, depending on where their cap room is, just one of their second rounders, signed to a $1.1 million contract?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Harris / Powell + Delladoeva?  Or, depending on where their cap room is, just one of their second rounders, signed to a $1.1 million contract?

I had been operating under the incorrect assumption that if you signed a draft pick with cap room, they couldn't be traded until December 15th, not 30 days.  So, yes, they could use Dellavedova and a second-rounder.  They could also pay a second-rounder extra money, but that assumes Minny wants an overpaid second-rounder, as they seem to be calling the shots right now.

EDIT: I also want to say that I'm a Matthew Dellavedova fan, and don't view him as some mere throw-in.  If I'm Cleveland, I still do it, but I look for other non-guaranteed contracts first.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:23:06 AM by saltlover »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well since they need to wait 60 days anyways, I guess that means they'll have a signed Wiggins to include.

So Wiggins + Bennett + these contracts probably gives them something like 14.4 mil right?  Definitely enough to land Love (though they didn't even need these contracts if they were just trying to take back Love)... 

But I'm not seeing how they could also take back Kevin Martin's salary.  They could maybe take back Barea's salary... the Cavs would probably also have to include Delladova and Hayward?

It would something like this, but with Wiggin's salary replacing Thompson:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l924mfy

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Well since they need to wait 60 days anyways, I guess that means they'll have a signed Wiggins to include.

So Wiggins + Bennett + these contracts probably gives them something like 14.4 mil right?  Definitely enough to land Love (though they didn't even need these contracts if they were just trying to take back Love)... 

But I'm not seeing how they could also take back Kevin Martin's salary.  They could maybe take back Barea's salary... the Cavs would probably also have to include Delladova and Hayward?

It would something like this, but with Wiggin's salary replacing Thompson:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l924mfy

They should have enough currently to take back Barea but not Martin, if they send the players just acquired from the Jazz.  It would be constructed as two separate deals -- Wiggins+Bennett for Love, and the 3 Jazz players for Barea.

It's also possible they could send Haywood, but I think they'd like to keep him both for depth, and more so for his $10 million non-guaranteed contract for next summer.

Generally, I'll be surprised if Love is moved, Minny gets Wiggins and Bennett, and Martin AND Barea get shipped out.  I know there are talk of three-way deals and such, but Cleveland can't add more than about $16 million in salary in these deals (they have to stay under the luxury tax or else their buying power decreases because of CBA rules) and the difference between Love and Wiggins/Bennett, is right about $16 million.  This is of course why they need a third-party, ostensibly for Barea, but it just makes no sense.  If Cleveland theoretically will give a draft pick to someone who's taking Barea of Minny's hands, why doesn't Minny just take the pick Cleveland is giving away, especially since they'll be at or under the salary floor if they dump Martin and Berea with Love?  Something in the scenario doesn't add up.

One thing, however, I just learned for myself today -- the contracts Cleveland acquired yesteday can be traded immediately, since Cleveland was under the cap.  The restriction is only for over the cap teams.  However, it becomes moot if they sign Wiggins (I think) because then the restriction will come into play (unless it only matters on your status when you acquired the players instead of trade away the players, which Coon's page is silent about)..