Author Topic: Cleveland looking for nonguaranteed contracts; Chance to trade Bogans?  (Read 13195 times)

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
has wiggins actually signed with Cleveland yet?

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
Gery Woelfel ?@GeryWoelfel:
"Told TWolves ready to pull trigger on sending Love to Cleve, but Cavs balking on future No. 1 picks. Seriously?"

First off who's Gery? And both of these teams are being petty. You have Boston, who I'm sure are willing to take on Minny's bad contracts and are willing to give them a bundle of picks but Minny skipped them and is trying to fleece the Cavs who are acting stupid.  >:(

JournalTimes and HoopsHype writer...

Gery Woelfel @GeryWoelfel:"Also told if Cavs won't surrender future No. 1s, Bulls could enter Love Sweepstakes, especially with Mirotic in play."

We got a ton of #1 picks.... Minny can easily make a deal with DA unless Flip really hates the Celtics
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why should Cleveland give future #1s along with Wiggins?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not sure who I want to see shoot themselves in the foot more here;

MINN not moving Love and losing him for nothing in the end

or

CLE being extremely petty and letting Love fall thru the cracks

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Gery Woelfel ?@GeryWoelfel:
"Told TWolves ready to pull trigger on sending Love to Cleve, but Cavs balking on future No. 1 picks. Seriously?"

First off who's Gery? And both of these teams are being petty. You have Boston, who I'm sure are willing to take on Minny's bad contracts and are willing to give them a bundle of picks but Minny skipped them and is trying to fleece the Cavs who are acting stupid.  >:(

JournalTimes and HoopsHype writer...

Gery Woelfel @GeryWoelfel:"Also told if Cavs won't surrender future No. 1s, Bulls could enter Love Sweepstakes, especially with Mirotic in play."

We got a ton of #1 picks.... Minny can easily make a deal with DA unless Flip really hates the Celtics

Mirotic, I'm 98% sure, can't be traded until December 15th, since he was signed with cap room.  I think this guy is just making things up at this point.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Because that's what Minnesota is demanding and they are under orders from their GM LeBron to get it done.

Same reason that Miami gave Cleveland/Toronto multiple picks and we gave Minnesota a pick in addition to Big Al and the rest of our young players.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
has wiggins actually signed with Cleveland yet?

No.  He's expected to do so soon.  Which is why Cleveland wants the unguaranteed contracts, so they can add them to Wiggins and trade them for Love in 60 days.

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
I hope no teams help cleveland so they cant get Love...

Despite his unhealthy obsession with THompson....one thing flip is smart about is that he knows Lebron has the cavs bent over a barrell to do anything for him so he will try and fleece that team.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Wiggins' potential alone doesn't account for Love's proven production.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

For what it's worth -- the field seems to be relatively split on that front:

"Love is so overrated. He's never won," one NBA executive said. "I'd wait if I was Cleveland. I wouldn't involve Wiggins in a trade for Love."

"Kevin is a perimeter big," added one coach. "He needs to have the ball on multiple possessions to be really effective. It will be very difficult for a first-year coach to divide possessions between LeBron, Kyrie [Irving] and Love."

"Wiggins is going to be really good in time," added an NBA general manager. "Right now he can shoot and defend. Playing off LeBron and Kyrie will take a lot of the pressure off him in the present. He could become a go-to scorer in a few years."

"Star potential on rookie scale deal for four years," another GM added.

"I feel like Wiggins may only be a year or so away from being a legit contributor," one front-office executive said. "And Wiggins is cheap, so you are able to add more. Love is gonna cost a ton."

"Why wait on Wiggins when Love makes them better now," one assistant GM said. "And if you don't get Love now, he's going to be a Laker next summer."

"I definitely wouldn't want to, but might have to," one high-ranking NBA executive said. "I wouldn't want to because Wiggins has a chance to be one of the top five players in the league and you could be set for 10 years. However, I might do it because Love helps you win a title in the next couple."

"I know what Love can do. He's a proven commodity, plus his game meshes with LeBron's," one NBA scout said.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11213455/should-andrew-wiggins-go-kevin-love-nba
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

In terms of trade value, sure it does, especially when you acknowledge that Love is gone in a year.

The Dwight Howard deal didn't include anybody of Wiggins' potential, nor did the CP3 deal, the KG deal, the Carmelo deal, etc., etc.  Wiggins alone is more than the Twolves can realistically hope for.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

In terms of trade value, sure it does, especially when you acknowledge that Love is gone in a year.

The Dwight Howard deal didn't include anybody of Wiggins' potential, nor did the CP3 deal, the KG deal, the Carmelo deal, etc., etc.  Wiggins alone is more than the Twolves can realistically hope for.

Those deals all involved players who had at least actually proven they could play in the NBA, cap relief, and a wealth of draft picks.  Wiggins *looks* good, but he has not yet done anything in the league.  That's way too much of a gamble for Minnesota and they absolutely should be looking for more than just Wiggins.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Essentially it's like this: Cleveland can trade Wiggins straight up to Minny for Love.  Both sides would do that.

I don't think Minny will trade Love for just Wiggins and filler.  They haven't made the playoffs for a decade and even the biggest Wiggins booster acknowledges that he's years away from fulfilling his potential.

If Cleveland is looking for expiring contracts, it's because Minny is insisting that Kevin Martin and/or Nikola Pekovic be part of any deal and they want instant salary cap relief.

Mike

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Those deals all involved players who had at least actually proven they could play in the NBA, cap relief, and a wealth of draft picks.  Wiggins *looks* good, but he has not yet done anything in the league.  That's way too much of a gamble for Minnesota and they absolutely should be looking for more than just Wiggins.

Players who had proven they could play?  So you're talking about players like Afflalo (DH12), Gallinari (melo) and Derrick Favors (deron williams) here.

Do you question whether or not Wiggins will ever prove that he can play to the level of those players?  Because barring injury (which can happen to any player acquired in a trade), I have less than 0.5% doubt in my mind that he will surpass the level of all 3 of those players.

EDIT - since two trades mentioned were CP3 and KG, I should mention the best proven players in those deals were Big Al and Eric Gordon.  Its hard for me to remember Eric Gordon at the time of the trade and how I'd feel about Wiggins vs. him.   Although, it should also be noted that those players being acquired (CP3 and KG) were considerably better than Kevin Love.  They were both irrefutably top 5 NBA players, which I don't think many people see Love ever sniffing in his career.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:17:53 PM by action781 »
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Would you rather have David Lee's big contract and Klay Thompson's soon-to-be big contract, or Wiggins and cap relief?