Author Topic: Bass/Thornton - Sep 10 trade to free up roster spots  (Read 2217 times)

Bass/Thornton - Sep 10 trade to free up roster spots
« on: July 22, 2014, 10:22:45 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Bass and Thornton are likely to eat up minutes from our three guards - Rondo, Bradley, Smart and our three bigs - Zeller, Olynyk, Sullinger.  I think it would be smart to move them in order to clear out playing time.

The Thornton/Bass/Anthony/Fav trade for Amare makes sense because the Knicks could use Bass and Thornton off their bench and probably Anthony as a backup center.  The problem is they have more players than we do, so trading 2 for 4 doesnt make sense for them.

The Sixers need t take on some salary and have plenty of non-guaranteed contracts so they could take on a couple of extra guys.  Maybe gettign Shumpert would be incentive for them.

Boston out - Bass/Thornton/Fav/Anthony/Babb

Boston in - Amare, Jeremy Tyler

New york out - Amare, Jeremy Tyler, Shumpert, S. Brown

New York In  - Thornton, Bass, Anthony, Henry Sims

Philly out - Henry Sims

Philly in  - Shumpert, Babb, Fav, S. Brown

Knicks Depth Chart  -

Calderon   Prigioni  Larkin
JR Smith   Thornton  Ellington
Melo     Hardaway    Early
Bargnani     Bass   Sims
Dalembert   Aldrich   J.Anthony

Celtics -

Rondo  Smart   Pressey
Bradley  Turner   Johnson
Green   Wallace   Young
Sullinger  Olynyk  Amare
Zeller   Iverson   Tyler

Re: Bass/Thornton - Sep 10 trade to free up roster spots
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:24:49 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
why is Amar'e behind Oly?

I don't mind if Amar'e is expiring. He brings more to the table in my honest opinion than Bass at this point. Besides the injuries, I honestly think that NY screwed Amar'e over when Melo arrived

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:26:56 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The Sixers need t take on some salary
No, they don't. The salary floor is not like the salary cap.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:26:59 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
With Bass and Thornton as expiring contracts, I think the Celtics are better off keeping them as salary slots in case a team wishes to get rid of a player mid-season.  Trading for Amare makes little sense because it decreases the flexibility to make moves.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:28:25 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I don't mind if Amar'e is expiring. He brings more to the table in my honest opinion than Bass at this point. Besides the injuries, I honestly think that NY screwed Amar'e over when Melo arrived

If we trade for Amare he becomes the Celtics starting center, not third on the depth chart. I actually like this deal. Not sure if the other teams go for it however.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 10:28:52 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton

I kind of see Amare as a 4th big.  So Oly/Sully/Zeller are gonna get most of the minutes at the 4/5 and amare would get whatevers left.  On nights when he needs a night off, (2nd of back to backs or whenever) then Iverson could get some run.  Green could also play a little 4. 

At guard, Rondo/Smart/Bradley are going to get most of the minutes.  Turner will eat up whatever is left and may be able to get some minutes at the 3.  Wallace may be the hardest person to find minutes for, but this trade at least makes things easier as far as having roster spots for Iverson and Johnson and also sorting out playing time.  Bass would demand more minutes than Amare and Thornton would be out of the way (He is not needed at all now that turner is here)

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 10:31:25 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton

If we trade for Amare he becomes the Celtics starting center, not third on the depth chart. I actually like this deal. Not sure if the other teams go for it however.

We have that protected Philly pick we can send back to Philly, they can turn around and send a 2nd rounder to the Knicks.  We have plenty of assets to make it work.  And I just picked Philly out of the fact that they have such a limited roster, Im sure there are other candidates to be the 3rd team. 

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 10:34:14 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The Knicks should be the ones trading draft picks to dump Amare's massive contract.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 10:47:13 AM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
The last guy you want in this locker room is Amare...
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 10:49:22 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
If you take on Amare and give up picks, you want to dump Wallace.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
The last guy you want in this locker room is Amare...

he's a good locker room guy... just give him the fire extinguisher to keep him pre-occupied
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 11:22:06 AM »

Offline ChefEricT

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 16
Call me crazy, but I think Thornton, Bass, and Anthony could be valuable trade chips at the trade deadline. Just like a lot of people, I would like to see plenty of playing time for the youngsters, but keeping these expiring vets around for the first half of the season could be more beneficial.  Thornton, Bass, and Anthony are not bad players and could all help a contender down the stretch run, not to mention they are expiring so that brings value as well.  I often read on here how we have a hard time attracting free agents to Boston, so maybe this is a good way to add a star mid-season.  Any combination of the 3 expiring vets plus draft picks/young players could help us add someone and keep Rondo happy enough to re-sign.  I'm not sure who we would add, but I'm sure several story lines will develop during the first part of the season.

PS-  This is my 100th post!  I love this website and have for quite some time.  I mostly lurk, but sometimes I throw a little comment out there.  Even though we haven't set off any "fireworks" this summer, it has still been a similar summer to 2007 on here.  We have all been on the edge of our seats, waiting for dropping shoes.  Thank you to Jeff and company for giving us a place to be crazy fans together.
Mock Deadline Denver Nuggets
Nurcic/Henson
Patterson/Bennett/Arthur
Ross/Budinger
Miller/Hunter/Foye
Rubio/Ennis/Bayless

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 11:24:02 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Amare's knees screwed him over