Author Topic: 2015 FA Class  (Read 4117 times)

Re: 2015 FA Class
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 07:26:41 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
2015 will be a pretty boring FA summer. 2016 is when the action picks up again:

Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Kevin Love
DeMar DeRozan
Al Jefferson
Dirk Nowitzki
Anthony Davis
Brook Lopez
Damian Lillard
Goran Dragic
Dwyane Wade
Al Horford
Dwight Howard
Pau Gasol
Mike Conley
Bradley Beal
Deron Williams

...list goes on and on.

I'll save you some time - none of these players will ever sign with the Celtics.  Sorry, but it's just the reality of the situation.  We have to build through the draft and/or trades.  We're not the Lakers, Bulls, Knicks, Heat, Mavericks, or even the Rockets.

Exactly, if an opportunity presented itself for these guys to either play 15-20 minutes in those locations above or 30+ in Boston they wouldn't choose Boston. Boston is a bottom tier destination for free agents. Just like Milwaukee Minnesota Utah Denver and other places with crappy weather and no endorsement opportunities. Why can't people see that tanking is the only real way to build for markets such as Boston? Trades work as well but no top free agent will ever sign with Boston. Ever.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 07:47:04 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Boston.
red sox recent champions
bruins recent champions
celtics recent champions

fyi free agents generally go where the most $ is being offered
nba players travel ALL the  time, its not like they are walking through snow from back bay to garden to play all their games

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 07:58:19 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I mentioned this in the thread where a fan came up with the idea for two deals involving JSmith and LSanders.

I say go for it now and get whoever you can get to help you compete, whether it's Smith, Rudy Gay, Sanders, etc.

Yeah, not many will agree and that's fine. To each his own.

As attractive as cap space is, the more I think about it, the more unlikely I think it is that someone like K.Durant, A.Davis, M.Gasol or D.Jordan decides to come to Boston.  Why would they if they can get the same amount of money if not more either with their current team or somewhere else? Perhaps the only free agent I could see possibly in a Celtic jersey is Al Jefferson as he used to play here and knows the fans really liked him last time out

So, I say keep Rondo for the long-term and build around him with guys like Josh Smith or Larry Sanders.

Then, next year try to go after either Rudy Gay or Al Jefferson.

If this ends up being our team in 2015, I'd be quite happy

PG-Rondo
SG-Bradley
SF-Gay
PF-Smith
C-Jefferson or Sanders.

That's probably the most realistic and best lineup I could possibly see us assemble.

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 08:07:13 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
build it and they will come-winning culture with up and coming youth will prolong FA playing lives-boston a perfect place to groom young talent and keep them--keep green,keep rondo  they like boston-

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 08:08:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
fyi free agents generally go where the most $ is being offered

You go on keep believing that and I would will put a dollar under your pillow.

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 08:24:51 AM »

Offline Timmio1990

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
I mentioned this in the thread where a fan came up with the idea for two deals involving JSmith and LSanders.

I say go for it now and get whoever you can get to help you compete, whether it's Smith, Rudy Gay, Sanders, etc.

As attractive as cap space is, the more I think about it, the more unlikely I think it is that someone like K.Durant, A.Davis, M.Gasol or D.Jordan decides to come to Boston.  Why would they if they can get the same amount of money if not more either with their current team or somewhere else? Perhaps the only free agent I could see possibly in a Celtic jersey is Al Jefferson as he used to play here and knows the fans really liked him last time out

So, I say keep Rondo for the long-term and build around him with guys like Josh Smith or Larry Sanders.

PG-Rondo
SG-Bradley
SF-Gay
PF-Smith
C-Jefferson or Sanders.

That's probably the most realistic and best lineup I could possibly see us assemble.

That would be a  super athletic lineup but they would struggle to score the ball/shoot from the perimeter.

I think that if we are going to be building around Rondo as our PG we need to build a team based on outside shooting. A front line up of Gay, Smith and Sanders would cause some real issues with spacing and watching Gay and Smith shoot long 2's would slowly but surely kill me.

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 08:49:13 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

PG-Rondo
SG-Bradley
SF-Gay
PF-Smith
C-Jefferson or Sanders.

That would be a  super athletic lineup but they would struggle to score the ball/shoot from the perimeter.

I think that if we are going to be building around Rondo as our PG we need to build a team based on outside shooting. A front line up of Gay, Smith and Sanders would cause some real issues with spacing and watching Gay and Smith shoot long 2's would slowly but surely kill me.

And that's one of the reasons why I didn't like the Celts resigning Bradley.

I would've rather prefered a more offensive shooting guard like Bayless.

I just don't think Rondo and Bradley compliment each other that well.

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 09:43:48 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Kevin Love
DeMar DeRozan
Al Jefferson
Dirk Nowitzki
Anthony Davis
Brook Lopez
Damian Lillard
Goran Dragic
Dwyane Wade
Al Horford
Dwight Howard
Pau Gasol
Mike Conley
Bradley Beal
Deron Williams

...list goes on and on.

I'll save you some time - none of these players will ever sign with the Celtics.  Sorry, but it's just the reality of the situation.  We have to build through the draft and/or trades.  We're not the Lakers, Bulls, Knicks, Heat, Mavericks, or even the Rockets.
When have we been in the running for a top FA and not signed him?
I'm genuinely curious as I'm a bit younger and I don't know about all this stuff.

Never.

As far back as I can remember to the 80's we have never had the cap space to sign a max level player.   So it's not really fair to say a big name in his prime won't sign here.  Next year we will have that opportunity for the first time that I can remember.

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 10:14:35 AM »

Offline ticotop

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0

PG-Rondo
SG-Bradley
SF-Gay
PF-Smith
C-Jefferson or Sanders.

Realistic and depressing... please let us dream...
Go Celtics

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 10:15:53 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
While I would make a pitch to LaMarcus Aldridge, my main targets would be Gasol, and DeAndre.

If the Blazers, or Grizzlies don't make the playoffs it is more likely that LA or Gasol might consider leaving. I think if we could add either of those we could vault into the top half of the east, while still bringing in a ton of talent through the draft. Playing Rondo and Gasol would be a lot of fun to watch, between the two of them they would get their teammates a ton of good looks. Gasol is just one year removed from being the DPOY and is the missing piece to turn around this franchise.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 10:49:37 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85

Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Kevin Love
DeMar DeRozan
Al Jefferson
Dirk Nowitzki
Anthony Davis
Brook Lopez
Damian Lillard
Goran Dragic
Dwyane Wade
Al Horford
Dwight Howard
Pau Gasol
Mike Conley
Bradley Beal
Deron Williams

...list goes on and on.

In two years, if not already these guys are:

Dirk Nowitzki - OLD
Dywane Wade - OLD
Paul Gasol - OLD
Deron Williams - Not as old, but tired

We need to develop our own young talent.  It's not a quick fix but it seems like the only way.

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 11:23:24 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Kevin Love
DeMar DeRozan
Al Jefferson
Dirk Nowitzki
Anthony Davis
Brook Lopez
Damian Lillard
Goran Dragic
Dwyane Wade
Al Horford
Dwight Howard
Pau Gasol
Mike Conley
Bradley Beal
Deron Williams

...list goes on and on.

Most of those guys are locked in long term or are restricted FA's.. Durant will be out there but that is a real long shot.. This team acquired all those picks to trade... its that or keep building through the draft.. We all need to be more realistic when free agency rolls around..

Exactly.  We have never been big in the FA game and won't be.  Trade for a player or 2 and continue building through the draft also.