Author Topic: 2015 FA Class  (Read 4112 times)

2015 FA Class
« on: July 22, 2014, 10:11:20 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Small class of stars which makes it that much more difficuly for the Celtics to make a move.. In all honesty their most logic move is to resign Rondo but the other bigger names include:

Lamarcus Aldridge - most likelty will get max from Portland, plus he is 30.
Kevin love - If he goes to Clevland he will be off the market
Marc Gasol - IMO overrated and could get the max, plus doesnt want to leave Memphis
Deandre Jordan - young wildcard. Celtics had interest before .. would have to overpay
Goran Drajic - Rondo is a better overall PG
Tim Duncan - not going anywhere
Tony Parker -not going anywhere
Manu Ginobli -not going anywhere
Al Jefferson - Player option
Brook Lopez - Player option

Klay Thompson and Kawai Leonard are restricted but they will be matched by any offer..

Re: 2015 FA Class
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:38:50 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The most logical move is to trade Rondo before the deadline.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:44:16 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
Yea unless the celtics can faciltate a trade to get better quick it makes it less likely for Rondo to want to return.. However the Celtics can offer him the best contract if they choose to do

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
2015 will be a pretty boring FA summer. 2016 is when the action picks up again:

Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Kevin Love
DeMar DeRozan
Al Jefferson
Dirk Nowitzki
Anthony Davis
Brook Lopez
Damian Lillard
Goran Dragic
Dwyane Wade
Al Horford
Dwight Howard
Pau Gasol
Mike Conley
Bradley Beal
Deron Williams

...list goes on and on.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:19:35 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Danny best get creative because we're in mediocre limbo for a few years.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton

Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Kevin Love
DeMar DeRozan
Al Jefferson
Dirk Nowitzki
Anthony Davis
Brook Lopez
Damian Lillard
Goran Dragic
Dwyane Wade
Al Horford
Dwight Howard
Pau Gasol
Mike Conley
Bradley Beal
Deron Williams

...list goes on and on.

Most of those guys are locked in long term or are restricted FA's.. Durant will be out there but that is a real long shot.. This team acquired all those picks to trade... its that or keep building through the draft.. We all need to be more realistic when free agency rolls around..

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 01:51:17 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Kevin Love
DeMar DeRozan
Al Jefferson
Dirk Nowitzki
Anthony Davis
Brook Lopez
Damian Lillard
Goran Dragic
Dwyane Wade
Al Horford
Dwight Howard
Pau Gasol
Mike Conley
Bradley Beal
Deron Williams

...list goes on and on.

Most of those guys are locked in long term or are restricted FA's.. Durant will be out there but that is a real long shot.. This team acquired all those picks to trade... its that or keep building through the draft.. We all need to be more realistic when free agency rolls around..

Yeah, every class looks much better than it will be 2 years out. Then guys sign extensions and the pool shrinks.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 11:30:05 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
The FA pool looking shakey due to the restricted FAs..  But there will be teams that dont progress willing to shake things up a bit.. When they start looking looking to trade some up there best players for assets.. Pretty sure well have some of the best packages

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 12:24:54 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Kevin Love
DeMar DeRozan
Al Jefferson
Dirk Nowitzki
Anthony Davis
Brook Lopez
Damian Lillard
Goran Dragic
Dwyane Wade
Al Horford
Dwight Howard
Pau Gasol
Mike Conley
Bradley Beal
Deron Williams

...list goes on and on.

I'll save you some time - none of these players will ever sign with the Celtics.  Sorry, but it's just the reality of the situation.  We have to build through the draft and/or trades.  We're not the Lakers, Bulls, Knicks, Heat, Mavericks, or even the Rockets.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 12:42:32 AM »

fitzhickey

Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Kevin Love
DeMar DeRozan
Al Jefferson
Dirk Nowitzki
Anthony Davis
Brook Lopez
Damian Lillard
Goran Dragic
Dwyane Wade
Al Horford
Dwight Howard
Pau Gasol
Mike Conley
Bradley Beal
Deron Williams

...list goes on and on.

I'll save you some time - none of these players will ever sign with the Celtics.  Sorry, but it's just the reality of the situation.  We have to build through the draft and/or trades.  We're not the Lakers, Bulls, Knicks, Heat, Mavericks, or even the Rockets.
When have we been in the running for a top FA and not signed him?
I'm genuinely curious as I'm a bit younger and I don't know about all this stuff.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 01:12:56 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Ainge is right that getting a star to agree to a trade is similar to a free agent pitch so you could say that the Garnett deal is reason to be optimistic. The main problem is not that the city or organization is undesirable now, rather that there are no other superstars on the roster. Not to ape frequent Rondo critic Jeff Goodman but I believe him when he says stars around the league are not clamoring to play with the guy. And while it's too early to make a call on Smart it's pretty evident Olynyk and Sullinger are not going to be star-caliber guys. Ainge can collect all the picks in the world but it won't make a difference if no star wants to come over.

Honestly I'm very pessimistic about the state of the Celtics right now because Love was the one star they had a shot at convincing to stay. No Love, no Rondo, gentlemen. They also lost the lottery AND the coin flip that would have made it possible to draft Exum. Now they have Smart who may be a good player but whose future conflicts with Rondo. They still don't have either a top scoring wing or defensive center, the two hardest positions to fill, instead stocking up on deep positions like PG and PF. The worst feeling is when you look at the roster and you can't even identify one player who could be the second-best player on a championship team.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 01:26:48 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Ainge is right that getting a star to agree to a trade is similar to a free agent pitch so you could say that the Garnett deal is reason to be optimistic. The main problem is not that the city or organization is undesirable now, rather that there are no other superstars on the roster. Not to ape frequent Rondo critic Jeff Goodman but I believe him when he says stars around the league are not clamoring to play with the guy. And while it's too early to make a call on Smart it's pretty evident Olynyk and Sullinger are not going to be star-caliber guys. Ainge can collect all the picks in the world but it won't make a difference if no star wants to come over.

Honestly I'm very pessimistic about the state of the Celtics right now because Love was the one star they had a shot at convincing to stay. No Love, no Rondo, gentlemen. They also lost the lottery AND the coin flip that would have made it possible to draft Exum. Now they have Smart who may be a good player but whose future conflicts with Rondo. They still don't have either a top scoring wing or defensive center, the two hardest positions to fill, instead stocking up on deep positions like PG and PF. The worst feeling is when you look at the roster and you can't even identify one player who could be the second-best player on a championship team.

Really?! I wanted Love, but if he's not coming here, then I won't sweat it. And how do you know that Rondo is going to leave? Maybe he'll leave, maybe not. He's been quiet on his future so far and I'm going to desperate and pull a trade for Rondo that'll end up with Ben Mclemore. And why are you so obsessed of getting Dante Exum? What makes you think he has franchise altering potential. We really don't know if he's going to adjust in the NBA. In fact I would argue that he would be in more conflict with Rondo, because neither of them are good shooters and Exum is more comfortable as a Point guard. I think you're selling Smart short here. He's just as good if not better than Exum (for now?) He's strong, he's a good passer he run an offense and he knows how to win? Don't be surprised if Smart ends up as one of the best players to come out of this draft. Finally I believe the Celtics have a lot of assets, they're not done. They have great management, this isn't the Pitino era all over again! They have flexibility and they'll do whatever it takes to win and the Celtics have promising prospects. Sure they're not franchise players, but they are very good and I'm looking forward in seeing develop. The future is bright for Boston I believe they'll be back in contention sooner than you think.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 01:41:18 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Yea we're screwed lol

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 01:43:50 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Kevin Love
DeMar DeRozan
Al Jefferson
Dirk Nowitzki
Anthony Davis
Brook Lopez
Damian Lillard
Goran Dragic
Dwyane Wade
Al Horford
Dwight Howard
Pau Gasol
Mike Conley
Bradley Beal
Deron Williams

...list goes on and on.

When have we been in the running for a top FA and not signed him?
I'm genuinely curious as I'm a bit younger and I don't know about all this stuff.

Never.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 07:00:49 AM »

Offline Timmio1990

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
I don't see any of those RFA not being matched, they are some of the better players in their team so I can't imagine they won't be matched.