Poll

Would you want Meyers Leonard if the price was low?

Yes, he is a beast and could be a starting center in this league
5 (16.1%)
Sure, we can take a flyer on him
9 (29%)
Only if he were essentially free
13 (41.9%)
No, he is a bum
4 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Meyers Leonard ?  (Read 4468 times)

Meyers Leonard ?
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:27:40 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
I have had a bit of a man crush on this guy. He is a legit 7"1, 7"3 wingspan 270 pound beast with like 5% body fat. He is a physical freak and has a workout ethic to boot. He is also only 22 years old.

His numbers don't look great, espcially since his minutes got cut last year, but he still posted 11 Reb/ 9 pts per 36. He is an 80% ft shooter which is great for a center and shows he has skill.

He is pretty low on the Portland Totem pole, now with Kaman signed, so we may be able to get him cheap.

Your thoughts?

Re: Meyers Leonard ?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 02:35:18 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
Also, this may be superficial - but Leonard not seem like a taller more athletic Kris Humphries?

I was very happy with Hump's production and playing style and if he were not clashing with KO and Sully at the PF would like to keep him around.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 02:39:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I have had a bit of a man crush on this guy. He is a legit 7"1, 7"3 wingspan 270 pound beast with like 5% body fat. He is a physical freak and has a workout ethic to boot. He is also only 22 years old.

His numbers don't look great, espcially since his minutes got cut last year, but he still posted 11 Reb/ 9 pts per 36. He is an 80% ft shooter which is great for a center and shows he has skill.

He is pretty low on the Portland Totem pole, now with Kaman signed, so we may be able to get him cheap.

Your thoughts?

That's the second man crush in the last week ;D  It's got to be some kind of record for celticsblog, right?  I'm sure someone keeps a tally of such important information (sarcasm). ::) 

All of that aside, I was wondering about him, too, even though I prefer Oden.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 02:40:31 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
I like him, but we already have 2 young bigs... Zeller and Fav...
Zeller got the experience and skills over him
Fav got the shooting touch over him...
and another one from overseas which Iverson..
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 03:11:48 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Im okay with this as long as he can be had for a cheap price.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 03:12:29 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Leonard is an interesting case.  He's a guy who has a guard mentality in center's body because he was a backcourt player before he had a growth spurt in high school.  He's a perimeter big who has issues on defense because he has less life experience in traditional big man duties.  This was compounded by his early entry into the draft due to a need to pay for his mother's medical needs.

It's very possible that Portland plans to be patient with Leonard, who is very much a project big that Blazers fans uniformly seem to think is completely horrible on defense.  (The complaining I've seen reminds me a bit of how people felt about Fab Melo here.)  I could see them holding on to Leonard for the duration of his rookie-scale contract, unless they decide he is a lost cause on defense.  If they see him as a trade chip, their goal would be to use him to acquire someone who can help them get to the next level in the playoffs.  He's probably not a guy they would sell off for cheap.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 03:41:15 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
That's the second man crush in the last week ;D  It's got to be some kind of record for celticsblog, right?  I'm sure someone keeps a tally of such important information (sarcasm). ::) 

You are right, I must have been living a lie for 40 years. For the record, if it gets the Celtics banner #18 I am willing to stand on the leading float at the next gay pride parade (;

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 05:02:07 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens

I don't see Fav or Iverson anywhere near Leonard potential. Iverson is a little shorter and a lot less athletic. Fav is even smaller (he is like 230 with some fat to spare) and shorter arms.

Leonard is a better shooter than Fav (liking to shoot 3s doesn't make you a shooter). Leonard is 80% from the ft which is indicative of the type of shooting big men need, plus Leonard has proven he can rebound and score in the NBA. They are basically both bench warmers at best.

Leonard could be a bust - but could be a dominant starter (think Kaman in his prime) if everything works out right.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 05:49:57 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64

I don't see Fav or Iverson anywhere near Leonard potential. Iverson is a little shorter and a lot less athletic. Fav is even smaller (he is like 230 with some fat to spare) and shorter arms.

Leonard is a better shooter than Fav (liking to shoot 3s doesn't make you a shooter). Leonard is 80% from the ft which is indicative of the type of shooting big men need, plus Leonard has proven he can rebound and score in the NBA. They are basically both bench warmers at best.

Leonard could be a bust - but could be a dominant starter (think Kaman in his prime) if everything works out right.

FT percentage is not really indicative on how good the player shoots in the game....
Fav able to shoot 3s indicate that he got the range...

In terms of rebound
Fav: 3.5 out of 37games
Meyers: 2.8 out of 40 games
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 06:10:17 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens

FT percentage is not really indicative on how good the player shoots in the game....
Fav able to shoot 3s indicate that he got the range...

In terms of rebound
Fav: 3.5 out of 37games
Meyers: 2.8 out of 40 games

Per 36:
Fav: 9.5 Reb to Leonard 11.5. Fav is also 4 years older and likely as good as he is going to get

Also: FT shooting is indicative of touch and mechanics. It shows how consistent your shot is taking position and defense out of the equation. Is it an accident the greatest FT shooters where guys like Bird, Nash and Ray Allen?

Lastly, I do not want my Center chucking 3 balls. I hate it. You don't see guys like Duncan (one of the best shooting Centers ever) chucking 3 balls. 3 point shooting Centers are bench players on good teams, if that.

Leonard may never be a great Center, but his chances are about 100 times better than Fav...

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 07:01:10 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'd love to bring Leonard in here.

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 07:31:30 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I have also always been intrigued by Leonard. You really don't want to give up too much for him but you do have to give Portland some reason to let him go. I'm not a Faverani fan and would do a one for one trade in a second as Leonard with his 30 inch standing vertical leap (one inch better than Zeller's) is the superior athlete. Faverani is what he is, a more polished below the rim center, and that might interest Portland, which is a now team, but we might have to sweeten it with a low quality pick. Even with that, Portland might view Leonard as a long term project that would be worth keeping. It wouldn't hurt to try and see what their counteroffer might be if they don't like Faverani and a 2nd round pick..

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 07:35:05 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
If he can be had at a decent price.  Absolutely!  The kid is a beast!  He's young, still developing.  WOuld be a great fit in with this young team.  He gives a litle more strength and low post play than zeller and Fave would.  Leonard would be more a prototypical Center with a bit more athleticsm.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 07:36:25 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I liked him coming out of college as raw athletic project at center position but he has made no significant progress in his two years in the league. Worrying sign. Not someone I'd be putting any real faith into at this point.

Major liability on both ends of the court.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 08:22:24 AM »

Offline LEHGOCELTICS

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
Excellent size. Seems like Portland never does give him minutes. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer at him.

all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo