Author Topic: Three-Team Trade Idea for Smith and Sanders (Bos-Det-Mil)  (Read 6988 times)

Re: Three-Team Trade Idea for Smith and Sanders (Bos-Det-Mil)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 11:40:06 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
actually bench players are better than your starting 5
no thanks

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
The amount of long term money you would be  getting in return isn't good.  Sanders doesn't have the value people think right now coming off the year he had last year and being owed 48 Million.  There's no way I would  give them KO in that trade.  You would be tying this team to Rondo, Smith and Sanders for the future (combined salaries would be 40 million at least when you consider Rondo resigning).  That would be your core.  Not good enough in my mind....

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 12:41:49 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
I think it gives us a core that competes for the next 3-4 years. While the roster would need to be filled out with better shooting, that team would be very good defensively as well as extremely athletic. I like Smart a lot, but I also look at him as an asset and you need to give up something to get something.

In response to concerns around the contracts they are taking back, I think Smith's (3 years left at $13M per) and Sander's (4 years, $11M per) may look more reasonable when the cap is raised significantly in 2 years. Celtics would get an upgrade in talent and would still have several assets left to make moves in the future.

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 12:59:21 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
I'm not keen on giving up Smart or acquiring Smith. I wonder, however, if something could be worked out that would swing Monroe to Milwaukee and Sanders to the C's.

... that actually sounds fairly intriguing.  The Bucks don't really have a low-post scorer, but Henson and Sanders are both long, shot-blocking, rim-protecting types.  Henson would probably be a better fit with the more offensively-mided Monroe than he is with Sanders.

This is interesting. Above all else, I think the Celtics should try to acquire Sanders. C's would still need another impact player to contend in the east now and they would still have a logjam at the 1-3.

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 01:29:43 AM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mwyqyh7

I like the idea but I don't think we would have to include Smart to get Smith.

Sanders/Zeller/Faverani
Smith/Bass
Turner/Wallace/Johnson
Bradley/Thornton/Young
Rondo/Smart/Pressey

Detroit does this so they can resign Monroe and pick up a few shooters to put around Monroe and Drummond.
The Bucks do this for a few expiring deals to get out of the Sanders contract.  The Celtics would be pretty fun to watch with this team.

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 01:35:10 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Wow I remember two seasons ago many Celtics fans were so excited/not so excited to get Josh Smith in the February trade deadline but it never happened. And some didn't even want to trade a package with Jeff Green because he was just too "valuable"

Now we back here again, and some cannot wait to get rid of Jeff Green hahah.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 01:55:46 AM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
I think Green sucks.  If you're 6'9"you should be able to grab more then 4 rebounds a game.  So inconsistent its frustrating.

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I love the idea of getting Sanders.  He would really improve our defense.  But I'm not as excited about adding Josh Smith.  I think a big 3 of Rondo-Smith-Sanders would not be good enough to make it past the Semi-Finals if we even get that far.  We lack an elite scorer in there.

And now that Love is almost a foregone conclusion I suppose our only choice is either free agency or hope to strike gold in the draft.  I think Evan Turner will play well for us in a contract year, but most likely he will not be resigned.  But his presence this year allows us to move Jeff Green if we need to in a contract for a star player, if one becomes available.

Ok crazy idea 2 - Why don't we trade for Sanders and then add Melo if he becomes unhappy with his situation with the Knicks at the deadline?

Failing that, is there anyone on this 2015 potential free agent list who whets your appetite?
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-salaries/nba-free-agents-2015-2016/

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
I'm all in for making a run at Sanders.  I would much rather go with a Smart/Sanders duo to build around, then having a bonehead like Smoove come here.  Unfortunately, JKidd seems to be enamored with Larry.

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
I'm all in for making a run at Sanders.  I would much rather go with a Smart/Sanders duo to build around, then having a bonehead like Smoove come here.  Unfortunately, JKidd seems to be enamored with Larry.

Kidd does seem to like Sanders. There was talk that he wanted the Nets to trade Lopez for him. Despite that, there still is a chance they get rid of him because of his contract, history, and the possibility of being a negative influence. He's not untouchable.

Josh Smith may have some less than desirable qualities in his poor shot choice, occasional hot-headedness, and locker room issues last year. However, his relationship with Rondo could temper any actual attitude problems and Stevens could help him play more within himself. Smoove is an extremely athletic, shot-blocking big who would be an upgrade at on a fair contract. Would love to see him run the break with Rondo.

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 12:30:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Trading for Josh Smith and Larry Sanders isn't likely but it'd be a fun team.

Boston Out: Bass, Smart, Wallace, Bogans, 2015 LAC 1st round pick, 2016 1st round pick
Boston In: Josh Smith, Larry Sanders

Detroit Out: Josh Smith
Detroit In: Gerald Wallace, Marcus Smart, 2016 Boston 1st round pick

Milwaukee Out: Larry Sanders
Milwaukee In: Brandon Bass, Keith Bogans, 2015 LAC 1st round pick

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ldtc9vn
(I used Joel Anthony for Marcus Smart because he can't be traded yet)

Why Boston does it: The Celtics become a win-now team with a starting five of Rondo, Bradley, Green, Smith, and Sanders. Coming off the bench are Pressey, Turner, Sullinger, and Olynyk. They'll have a defensive-minded, athletic, and relatively young core.

Why Detroit does it: The Pistons get a great prospect in Marcus Smart, a pick, and free up cap space to extend Drummond in 2016.

Why Milwaukee does it: The Bucks clear their locker room of any possible negative influence Sanders could have on Parker, receive a quality backup big man in Bass, and save money immediately by cutting Bogans.
Not a bad trade idea at all but I think both Detroit and Milwaukee would want a little more.  As someone else mentioned, would probably have to swap out Wallace for Green and KO (or Sully) for Bogans (or with Bogans).

As proposed, that team wins the division and probably gets to the second round of the playoffs but is fairly hamstrung in terms of cap space for a few years.  Adjusting the deal to be more palatable to the other teams leaves us weak at SF and with a much thinner bench.

We still have a bunch of picks over the coming years so hopefully Danny would be able to pick up solid players that would contribute but that's no guarantee.  Biggest issues are outside shooting (I dread Josh jacking up 3's faster than Antoine in his prime) and there's no real clutch scorer on the team.  Great defensive team to be sure but someone's got to put the  ball in the basket and unless Josh is on fire, the team will struggle to score.

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 12:41:21 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mwyqyh7

I like the idea but I don't think we would have to include Smart to get Smith.

Sanders/Zeller/Faverani
Smith/Bass
Turner/Wallace/Johnson
Bradley/Thornton/Young
Rondo/Smart/Pressey

Detroit does this so they can resign Monroe and pick up a few shooters to put around Monroe and Drummond.
The Bucks do this for a few expiring deals to get out of the Sanders contract.  The Celtics would be pretty fun to watch with this team.

If I follow this correctly, the Detroit part of the trade is Green+Olynyk for Smith?  I am not very high on Josh Smith so I don't like that trade at all.

I like the Milwaukee part better but I am not sure I would do that either.  I guess I am not that high on Sanders at 4x$11M.  Maybe for something like Wallace and a draft pick.  Sanders could increase his value dramatically if he gets on the court and plays well.  I know the Bucks probably do not want Wallace even with a pick.  He is like Sanders in that he needs to get on the court and show something too if he has anything left.

I think Detroit would trade Smith for Bass and Bogans frankly.  That would free up money and they could sign Monroe.  I would only trade for Smith if I was sure I could flip him to Sacramento or something like that.  I just don't see how he fits with a young rebuilding team.

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 03:06:53 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Trading for Josh Smith and Larry Sanders isn't likely but it'd be a fun team.

Boston Out: Bass, Smart, Wallace, Bogans, 2015 LAC 1st round pick, 2016 1st round pick
Boston In: Josh Smith, Larry Sanders

Detroit Out: Josh Smith
Detroit In: Gerald Wallace, Marcus Smart, 2016 Boston 1st round pick

Milwaukee Out: Larry Sanders
Milwaukee In: Brandon Bass, Keith Bogans, 2015 LAC 1st round pick

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ldtc9vn
(I used Joel Anthony for Marcus Smart because he can't be traded yet)

Why Boston does it: The Celtics become a win-now team with a starting five of Rondo, Bradley, Green, Smith, and Sanders. Coming off the bench are Pressey, Turner, Sullinger, and Olynyk. They'll have a defensive-minded, athletic, and relatively young core.

Why Detroit does it: The Pistons get a great prospect in Marcus Smart, a pick, and free up cap space to extend Drummond in 2016.

Why Milwaukee does it: The Bucks clear their locker room of any possible negative influence Sanders could have on Parker, receive a quality backup big man in Bass, and save money immediately by cutting Bogans.

Nice thinking man, love your idea!!

Rondo/Smith/Sanders would be a fun, up-tempo team to watch.

The other thing you could do to simplify is also deal Jeff Green and Bogan's unguarnateed deal to Detroit for Monroe in a S/T (as I've read Detroit wants to keep Smith) and then deal Bass, Sullinger and Joel Anthony OR Vitor Faverani to Milwaukee for Sanders.

That way with Monroe, you get a little more offense.

This would be a good team
PG-Rondo
SG-Bradley
SF-Turner
PF-Monroe
C-Sanders

I am hoping that despite what the perception or prevaling assumption might be, that Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens do want to field a competitive team for next season.

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 03:39:26 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
I continue to be mystified at the interest here in Josh Smith.   I get that he has all-star calliber talent, but all the frustrations that so many of us have had with Antoine Walker and Jeff Green will be ever-present with Josh Smith.  Not only is he not the answer -- he's not even part of the answer.  Let Josh Smith earn his $14 million a year elsewhere.

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 10:01:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

If you'd be willing to accept Ilyasova's deal, they might give up Sanders.
So maybe like Wallace, Bogans and Sullinger for Sanders and Ilyasova
Then deal Jeff Green, Joel Anthony and a future pick for Josh Smith.

This would be a fun team AND a playoff team (IMO)
PG-Rondo/Smart
SG-Bradley/Thornton
SF-Turner/Ilyasova
PF-Josh Smith/Olynyk
C-Sanders/Zeller

Yes, I get our future cap space would be eaten up by these deals but when you really think about it....does anyone really think Marc Gasol, Kevin Love, Kevin Durant or Deandre Jordan are going to come to Boston as free agents? I mean isn't that pie in the sky?

I know we've never had the cap space to offer big money at a FA so it's worth seeing, but I just don't see any of the top free agents choosing Boston when they can either stay with their current team or go to another big market (New York, Miami, Chicago, LA, etc.)

Not to mention, now you know Cleveland is going to be a destination because of Lebron.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:06:10 PM by gpap »