Author Topic: Turner Vs Green  (Read 4730 times)

Re: Turner Vs Green
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 11:02:36 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'll take Evan Turner.

From a scoring standpoint Turner and Green are similar. Green being a little more explosive and Turner a little more consistent. The difference maker is that Turner actually impacts the floor, even when he's not scoring. Turner rebounds where as Green catches the ball when it falls towards him. Turner creates a little bit for others where as Green is either trying to score aggressively or floating aimlessly around the perimeter doing nothing.

IMO, Turner is just a better basketball player and I think he would do well in the right system as a complimentary scorer or role player.

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 11:15:33 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Chlamydia vs. Gonorrhea

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 11:31:24 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Green will annoy you because of the things he doesn't do that you think he should.  Turner will annoy you because of the things he does that you think he shouldn't.  Green seems to play a bit too conservatively in trying to avoid making mistakes, while Turner's game is all about making unforced errors.

Everything I have read about Turner suggests that he is to defense what Josh Smith is to jump-shooting.  If James Harden just stands there, Turner seems to like finding his way to the wrong spot on the floor.  Turner's defense is significantly worse than Jeff  Green's rebounding.

Turner might have use as an offense-only player off the bench, but I find it hard to see him as a NBA starter unless he improves his defense (or if you hire Mike D'Antoni or a guy with a similar lack of concern for defense).  I could see a use for him as your third-string SF/SG/PG who you might play over your primary backup based on matchups, while allowing you to carry more bigs on your roster due to covering several positions.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 12:35:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Turner is a wing SG/SF who is an ineffective scorer but a multi-dimensional role player. An above average rebounder, ball-handler and passer at both wing spots. An above average defender at the SG position but only a middle of the pack one at SF (below average vs starting SF).

Jeff Green is a combo forward SF/PF who is a scorer/defender. A 3rd/4th option offensively. A strong defensive player whose combination of size, strength, quickness and length allows him to matchup physically against top athletes at SF position (which E.Turner cannot do at SF). A below par rebounder and mediocre passer and ball-handler.

Jeff Green has some negative value as rebounder and adds little value to his team outside scoring/defending ... in contrast to Turner who adds negative value with scoring but really good value via rebounding, ball-handling, passing and defending (when SG, less so at SF).

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Turner is a better dribbler, passer, and rebounder (sad). Green's probably better at whatever's left.

You mean sad for Jeff Green? Or sad for Turner because Jeff Green's a bad rebounder?

I believe Turner's actually more than above average at rebounding. A very good rebounder iirc.

As for "whatever's left", shooting and defense are pretty important. JG does those better.

I'm not a big Jeff Green fan at all. But given Turner's recent track record I wouldn't be so sure Turner's definitely the better player at this point (which seems to be what you're implying).

Turner's problem has been his shooting. From what I've read, he's been terrible off the ball since he can't shoot and lukewarm on the ball. Again, from what I've read, he's an inefficient volume scorer and not a great assist-man on the ball.
I don't think Turner's a better player, I was just making fun of Jeff's rebounding. Turner has his problems, like you said.

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 01:05:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Like putting enough gas in his car.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 01:18:20 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
TP to Loosecannon.  Good post.

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Should we chop off your right or left leg?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 01:24:56 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
From the discussion sounds like Turner and Rondo is a match made in Hell. So if he is coming off the bench we would need to surround him with shooters such as.........  To me he is a more experienced James Young. He was good enough in Philly to make Bird think he was worth trading Granger for (BIG mistake); but that is not on Turner. He had a bulls eye on his back from the minute he walked in the door.

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 02:06:45 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
It all about the system...
From what i'm seeing, this team is built for motion offense. If so, Jeff green is suited for moving without the ball or creating chances for other players. In that offense, a player with Evan's skillset will be more ideal.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 09:25:18 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
On the plus side, if Turner starts at the 3, his passing and playmaking abilities can more than offset Avery's deficiencies in said areas.  I hoping that Bradley will improve in those departments, but having Turner is a nice insurance move.

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 09:30:16 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
A Green/Turner rotation at the 3 is interesting. if green's switch is off, do you unleash the turner and hope he's beastmode ?

its intriguing.

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2014, 09:43:35 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
A Green/Turner rotation at the 3 is interesting. if green's switch is off, do you unleash the turner and hope he's beastmode ?

its intriguing.

I like where you're going with this. BS sees Green sleepwalking on the court, says the Ed Lacerte: RELEASE THE KRAKENTURNER
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;