Author Topic: Turner Vs Green  (Read 4722 times)

Re: Turner Vs Green
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 07:43:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Jeff Green sorta treats playing like a routine job.....being a bus driver ....show up do your job

Jeff is a good guy , but not driven like Kobe or Rondo to be a winner .

Jeff personality will never allow him to dominate a court like  he could every night if the mindset was there.

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 07:52:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Turner's problem has been his shooting. From what I've read, he's been terrible off the ball since he can't shoot and lukewarm on the ball. Again, from what I've read, he's an inefficient volume scorer and not a great assist-man on the ball.

Then why aren't Sully and Green looked at in the same light.   Green does shoot threes better but Turner is shooting on twos as good as Sully and better than Green.   

Shooting is a skill in decline anyways nowadays.   I realize that a good shooter today shoots .45% from two, see Ray Allen.  Steph Curry shoots .47.   LeBron shoot .56% last year but .49% for his career for FG.  Bigs used to regularly shoot over 50% not a decent big shoots above .49%.

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 08:02:14 AM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I gave it a B, but I think it should be a b+, as it opens up a few good options.

1) If we decide to keep both Green and Turner, we will a pretty good rotation on the SF, it will also mean that Young can get in to the NBA, without being pushed into the deep end to early. Wallace will be playing no role on the team at all.

2) We can now swap Green without too much of a problem. This actually means, that we now might have enough pieces to get a real Center, not Dwight Howard but we might get a decent center or at least an upgrade from what we have now.

I think the next move would be to try and get a center or get rid of our bad contracts, so by the end of this season we would only have building blocks for the future, a lot of picks and a lot of cash that we can use in FA.

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 08:14:52 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'm kind of shocked that Turner has the better overall field goal percentage.  Green seems like a much more efficient shooter.  I guess not.

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 08:17:16 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
im interested in looking at Turners game -to- game stats.

Green's 17ppg are kind of tricky because they dont show the whole story...where 1 game he will have 38pts, followed up by a 10point game

is turner more consistent?

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 08:18:14 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Turner's problem has been his shooting. From what I've read, he's been terrible off the ball since he can't shoot and lukewarm on the ball. Again, from what I've read, he's an inefficient volume scorer and not a great assist-man on the ball.

Then why aren't Sully and Green looked at in the same light.   Green does shoot threes better but Turner is shooting on twos as good as Sully and better than Green.   

Shooting is a skill in decline anyways nowadays.   I realize that a good shooter today shoots .45% from two, see Ray Allen.  Steph Curry shoots .47.   LeBron shoot .56% last year but .49% for his career for FG.  Bigs used to regularly shoot over 50% not a decent big shoots above .49%.

The issue with Turner is that a pretty small percentage of his makes are assisted for someone who's primarily taking jumpers.  Off-the-dribble shots are harder to make than ones which are assisted, which keeps his shooting percentage down.  (During his time in Indiana, it was a ridiculously low 26% of his makes that we're assisted.) That could be Turner's fault, his teammates' fault, or his coaches' fault, and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  But between Rondo and Stevens, the non-Turner part of the equation should be improved, and hopefully he can make the change needed within to thrive.

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 08:41:36 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I'm kind of shocked that Turner has the better overall field goal percentage.  Green seems like a much more efficient shooter.  I guess not.

I think this is because Turner gets to the paint more, and relatedly gets a lot more free throws.

It seems like we've got this pegged. Green is an average to above average defender, whereas Turner is among the worst defenders in the league. Green is a good outside shooter, whereas Turner is a lousy one. Green is a poor rebounder, Turner is an excellent one. Green is a sub-par creator who doesn't try to create his own offense very much, Turner is a sub-par creator who tries to create his own offense constantly. Green is generally beloved and respected by his teammates, Turner has known nothing but dysfunction in the league and is rumored to be a jerk.

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 08:49:02 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I vote for Jeff Turner.

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 08:52:03 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Just tell Turner that he's playing AGAINST the C's every game and he'll do great...lol. He always seemed to be turn it up a notch whenever he played the Celtics.

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 08:52:24 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
3.7 assist is not a subpar creator for a 3.  1.7 isnt even subpar for Green, its just not special.

I take Turner.  I cant play with someone whom has left his passion on the couch half of the time.

I want to win or loose with someone else whom is leaving it all on the floor.  The strong and weak points of these two are so close.  The passion takes Turner over the top.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 08:58:46 AM »

Offline Piasecki8

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 9
Turner is younger, and smaller than Jeff Green, but has similar stats.  What's that tell you?

Nothing.

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 09:07:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Off-the-dribble shots are harder to make than ones which are assisted, which keeps his shooting percentage down.

Usually this is the case, but it depends on the shooter, I 've seen guys who shot better on the move, but it is rare, because they didn't think on the shot and didn't overthink things.

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 09:15:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Off-the-dribble shots are harder to make than ones which are assisted, which keeps his shooting percentage down.

Usually this is the case, but it depends on the shooter, I 've seen guys who shot better on the move, but it is rare, because they didn't think on the shot and didn't overthink things.

Yes, but based on Turner's percentage, he is not a player who should shoot off the dribble nearly as much as he does.  Sometimes it's a necessary shot, because the defense has played well.  Sometimes you have a spot or two on the floor that you can make it from (like Pierce at the top of the key), and even if not as good a shot as an open 3 from the corner, it's makeable.  But Turner, if he wants to shoot from the dribble, needs to find his 1-2 spots on the floor, instead of trying to make it from everywhere.

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Jeff Green sorta treats playing like a routine job.....being a bus driver ....show up do your job

Jeff personality will never allow him to dominate a court like  he could every night if the mindset was there.

I see what you're saying, but I fundamentally disagree with the idea that people who aren't driven make it into the NBA.  They might not look like it while they play, but sticking around in the most competitive basketball league on the planet is no easy feat.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 09:52:47 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I see what you're saying, but I fundamentally disagree with the idea that people who aren't driven make it into the NBA.  They might not look like it while they play, but sticking around in the most competitive basketball league on the planet is no easy feat.

I agree with you mostly, but being driven is neither a binary ability nor a constant one.  Jeff Green might be more driven than even your average player who started at Division I basketball, but that doesn't mean he can't be below average in drive at the NBA, and considering that's his competition, that's what he should be compared to.  Likewise, life happens, and drive and hunger can wax and wane.  Maybe Green's drive has changed from when he was younger.  So too could it change again.

It's a little hand-wavy for me, but we all know those people who are more or less dedicated than the rest, and most of us have probably experienced different levels of motivation and commitment in our own lives.  It's a real phenomenon, even if an ephemeral one.