Author Topic: What kind of scorer is Evan Turner?  (Read 2025 times)

What kind of scorer is Evan Turner?
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:28:54 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
per ESPN...

Before Philly dealt Turner, ESPN Insider Amin Elhassan examined Turner's game and why the team struggled to move him.

"Turner isn't a particularly good perimeter shooter, but he thrives in the midrange, where the majority of his shots come (mostly off pull-ups). His 3-point percentage falls below the Kendall Gill Line (basketball's version of baseball's Mendoza Line: 28.1 percent shooting from 3-point range) in every spot except the left corner, where he shoots 38 percent, although he did shoot well from the corners last season. If he does make the pass, it will usually be the easiest one available (to the pick-setter popping back or to a player in his direct line of sight as he comes off a screen). ... If the ball isn't in his hands, he's not nearly as big a threat as he gets stuck watching the ball, while his poor perimeter shooting encourages defenders to help off him on the weak side. In short, to get the most out of Turner, you have to continue to get him touches." 

seems like we're gonna have a slight over-crowding at the ball-handler position
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: What kind of scorer is Evan Turner?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:31:29 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
or maybe this will set up as the Motion Offense dream team..
multiple ball-handlers/passers
mobile and active bigmen

either way, defense will be ???
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:37:47 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
As is the Celtics don't have enough ball handlers that can initiate offense. Prior to Turner arriving, the handler/creators were Rondo, Smart, and then take your pick between Wallace and Pressey. That's it.

Turner could help. It makes the offense less predictable with the defense just hounding Rondo.

Turner can hit a mid range shot and can play defense. This is a good low cost gamble.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:44:05 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
An inefficient one.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 12:17:21 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
A crafty mid-range scorer that's average from 3pt range, who needs the ball to create chances. That's also an unathletic 6'7 SF...
sounds like a another guy that recently played in a Boston uniform...

jk, Evan would have to have the greatest season in his life to match those early PP34 days. But a guy can dream...  ::)

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 12:17:25 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Free throw line and down (for the most part), although he does have a good handle and beat us on a step back jumper in a game last year, so I guess that he can create his own shot.  I think he can score in the post, as well.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:44:33 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
A crafty mid-range scorer that's average from 3pt range, who needs the ball to create chances. That's also an unathletic 6'7 SF...

jk, Evan would have to have the greatest season in his life to match those early PP34 days. But a guy can dream...  ::)

You could be describing Boris Diaw. He is a guy who thrived only in the right environments. Turner has a lot of Diaw's skills minus the decent 3 point shooting. Turner has shown potential to hit it from the corners though.

Turner has the handle, mid range shot, post moves, slashing game, passing, yet also OK defense.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 12:50:47 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

You could be describing Boris Diaw. He is a guy who thrived only in the right environments. Turner has a lot of Diaw's skills minus the decent 3 point shooting. Turner has shown potential to hit it from the corners though.

Turner has the handle, mid range shot, post moves, slashing game, passing, yet also OK defense.

And he's young.  I really hope the C's give him a year or two to really settle in.  I think  he can be a great piece for the team moving forward.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:56:58 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 01:23:40 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I have never been impressed with Turner. Seems like a bit of a knucklehead.
I wish we had signed Pierce.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 01:59:15 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
At least the Cs get a sniff at a number 2 draftee who is young; (I know we had Darko, but he was already far too gone to be of use);
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 08:24:07 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I have never been impressed with Turner. Seems like a bit of a knucklehead.
I wish we had signed Pierce.
I don't get this attitude at all. Evan Turner has always been impressive to me when he was on Philly. Always seemed like a guy who could break out given the right situation.

Pierce ain't walking through that door, dude, nor should he. Not the direction of this team anymore.

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Turner can hit take a lot of mid range shots and can play poor defense. This is a good low cost gamble.

Fixed.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 09:11:30 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
He is an inefficient scorer...pretty ugly jump shot....but he is a willing scorer who has been more productive each year in the NBA and excited to play for Coach Stevens.  A few things I do like about Turner is his all around game...decent handle, gets to the line, decent passer and rebounder, and not afraid of taking the big shot.

Low risk...high reward if he's somehow a piece that fits with the system.