Author Topic: Why don't people think we'll be better?  (Read 15840 times)

Why don't people think we'll be better?
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:13:33 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I am not pretend that the C's will be a playoff team with the moves they have made but I don't understand how anyone can think that they won't be a better team.  Let's just compare the roster.

At Point...
Last Season:  Crawford, AB, Rondo & Pressey (Rondo limited all season)
This season:  Rondo, Smart, Pressey (healthy All-star PG and defensive minded back-up)

At Off-Guard....
Last Season:  AB, Crawford, Lee, Bayless, Babb, Blue, Brooks
This Season:  AB, Thornton, Turner, Young (better over all depth and scoring)

At SF....
Last Season:  Green, Wallace, Johnson
This Season:  Green, Turner, Wallace, Young (more depth and scoring)

At PF....
Last Season:  Sullinger, Bass, Hump, KO
This Season:  Sullinger, Bass, KO, Zeller (development of KO and Sully could make for decent play at the 4, Bass is playing for a contract)

At Center...
Last Season:  Hump, KO, Favarani, Sully
This Season:  KO, Zeller, Favarani, Sully (still a weak spot but Sully, KO and Zeller fighting for minutes could be a nice competition)

30+ wins isn't anything to write home about but I certainly think this team will be better than the 25 win team of a year ago.

Re: Why don't people think we'll be better?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:30:13 PM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
We're definitely a better team than last season, that's why I don't get some are saying that we're still tanking...

Brad Stevens - will be better he just had a whole season to adjust to NBA
Rondo - healthy all star PG
AB - healthy (i hope)
KO - looking buffy
Sully - looking fluffy
Fav - healthy fav will be competitive in getting the PT against Zeller
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:45:06 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Better by 5 to 7 games and not officially tanking? sure. But we'll still struggle to make it even close to the playoffs.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:48:39 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Better by 5 to 7 games and not officially tanking? sure. But we'll still struggle to make it even close to the playoffs.

It's the east, it's not impossible go to the playoffs with 35 wins. LOL

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:55:25 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
People enjoy being negative. They like talking about how their knee hurts and how it happened. How many docs they saw for their problem. How tough it is to get to work. How much they overcame to get to where they are. And so on.

We have nothing to do with the process. DA has done a ridiculously great job leveraging small things this off season. What I have gotten out of this is that we are in great hands. No way DA does this and doesn't set us up for two to three titles this cycle. GO BOSTON CELTICS!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 11:56:49 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
In order to win you need a star who can score when the game is tight in the 4th, and you need enough size up front to at least hold your own.

The Celtics still dont have a starting quality center or a closer who can score in bunches in the 4th.

But, they do have nice role players, and if healthy a nice point guard to set everyone up. They will be better, just not much better. I am thinking 32 wins.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:00:33 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Why don't people think we'll be better?  Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm a pessimist, so...

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 12:14:52 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
We will be better.  Possibly 10 more wins...

But I'm guessing the 8th seed for the Eastern playoffs will also be ten wins better next season...
So we may be just as far out of the playoffs while being a more quality
team..

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:23:29 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I'd call it slightly less overmatched than last season on paper. Let  some actual basketball happen and we'll see the proof in the pudding
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 12:25:29 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Usually because they hate Rondo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 12:28:37 AM »

Offline Celticjay

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
If you really break down Phoenix's roster last year it really isn't any better than ours if Rondo plays to his normal level.  Chemistry, coaching and the team staying healthy could lead us to the playoffs and perhaps to mid seasons trade to improve us further.

I think we could be much better than people think.  We are quite deep right now with lots of young legs and potential talent..

It's going to be an interesting season!

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 12:34:20 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Too many pessimists and negative nancies around here (which  admitedly I can sometimes be one of)

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 12:34:23 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

It's the east, it's not impossible go to the playoffs with 35 wins. LOL

The east is definitely still not on par with the west but it's gotten better this offseason. Right now the Cavs, Bulls, Pacers, Wizards, Heat, Hornets and Raptors are all miles better than us... That's seven teams right there in front of us without mentioning mid pack teams like the Nets, Knicks, Hawks and Pistons who all look to be improved next year as well.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 12:35:46 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
If you really break down Phoenix's roster last year it really isn't any better than ours if Rondo plays to his normal level.  Chemistry, coaching and the team staying healthy could lead us to the playoffs and perhaps to mid seasons trade to improve us further.

I think we could be much better than people think.  We are quite deep right now with lots of young legs and potential talent..

It's going to be an interesting season!

Phoenix benefited from Dragic playing out of his mind (maybe Rondo can be as good again). And they also had a bunch of excellent 3 point shooters and a serviceable center with good size. The Celtics dont have the later two.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 12:38:16 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
In order to win you need a star who can score when the game is tight in the 4th, and you need enough size up front to at least hold your own.

The Celtics still dont have a starting quality center or a closer who can score in bunches in the 4th.

But, they do have nice role players, and if healthy a nice point guard to set everyone up. They will be better, just not much better. I am thinking 32 wins.
This pretty much sums up the way I see it.  I'm thinking Turner maybe is the closest thing they'll have to that closer???  But they won't contend for anything until they get a real one.