Author Topic: Report: Celtics Signing Evan Turner  (Read 34422 times)

Re: Report: Celtics Signing Evan Turner
« Reply #240 on: July 22, 2014, 09:59:44 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Don't discard Turner as a short term trade chip. Brad Stevens has known him since high school, and he is the reason why Turner wanted to join the Celtics.

http://nesn.com/2014/07/evan-turners-agent-terms-of-celtics-deal-secondary-to-the-environment/

Boston all along has been probably our No. 1 destination,” Falk said. “I felt what Evan needed was to kind of replicate the relationship that he had with coach Brett Brown in Philadelphia, which I think worked out tremendously well for him. We were really looking mostly for an environment more than geography. Brad has known Evan since high school, and we think that the very personal that college coaches have with their players is more in line with what we experienced with Brett.”

He also had dinner the other night with fellow Ohio State alums Sullinger and Jeff Green, and is close friends with Sullinger.

Jeff Green is a Georgetown alum.   The connection is that he, Sully & Turner all have the same agent (David Falk).

The personal connections are nice.   I remember how Doc had a nice, long personal connection with Michael Finley.  Barely played him.   He also had a nice, long personal relationship with Courtney Lee.   Benched him.

In both cases, it was, imho, the right thing to do because (a) Finley's old legs were gone and (b) Lee kept messing up defensive help rotations.

The fact that Brad may have a personal relationship with Evan from way back is nice.  Maybe he'll have a way of getting through to this kid to help him straighten out his so-far wreck of an NBA career.

But if he continues to perform as crappy as he has through most of his NBA career, or if he continues with some of the weird shenanigans off the court, I hope that Brad remembers that he's the coach of an NBA team and, like Doc, benches him.

Yeah, my mistake on Green.

This is the first example of Brad Stevens as a legit draw for free-agents though, which is pretty impressive for a 2nd year coach of a lottery team.

I'm a big fan of Stevens.

But the fact that he was a 'draw' that attracted Evan "Neither of My Last Two Teams Want Me" Turner does not get a check mark in the "impressive" column.

If Stevens can somehow turn Turner into a reasonably valuable player (because he ISN'T one right now), then I will consider that impressive.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #241 on: July 22, 2014, 10:05:41 PM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
Don't discard Turner as a short term trade chip. Brad Stevens has known him since high school, and he is the reason why Turner wanted to join the Celtics.

http://nesn.com/2014/07/evan-turners-agent-terms-of-celtics-deal-secondary-to-the-environment/

Boston all along has been probably our No. 1 destination,” Falk said. “I felt what Evan needed was to kind of replicate the relationship that he had with coach Brett Brown in Philadelphia, which I think worked out tremendously well for him. We were really looking mostly for an environment more than geography. Brad has known Evan since high school, and we think that the very personal that college coaches have with their players is more in line with what we experienced with Brett.”

He also had dinner the other night with fellow Ohio State alums Sullinger and Jeff Green, and is close friends with Sullinger.

Jeff Green is a Georgetown alum.   The connection is that he, Sully & Turner all have the same agent (David Falk).

The personal connections are nice.   I remember how Doc had a nice, long personal connection with Michael Finley.  Barely played him.   He also had a nice, long personal relationship with Courtney Lee.   Benched him.

In both cases, it was, imho, the right thing to do because (a) Finley's old legs were gone and (b) Lee kept messing up defensive help rotations.

The fact that Brad may have a personal relationship with Evan from way back is nice.  Maybe he'll have a way of getting through to this kid to help him straighten out his so-far wreck of an NBA career.

But if he continues to perform as crappy as he has through most of his NBA career, or if he continues with some of the weird shenanigans off the court, I hope that Brad remembers that he's the coach of an NBA team and, like Doc, benches him.

This is the first example of Brad Stevens as a legit draw for free-agents though, which is pretty impressive for a 2nd year coach of a lottery team.

But the fact that he was a 'draw' that attracted Evan "Neither of My Last Two Teams Want Me" Turner does not get a check mark in the "impressive" column.

If Stevens can somehow turn Turner into a reasonably valuable player (because he ISN'T one right now), then I will consider that impressive.

He impressed me with Crawford's development, who would have thought that crazy chucker can run a point effectively...
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #242 on: July 22, 2014, 10:49:30 PM »

Offline NikoZea

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I remember someone said he and his agent wanted him here because it meant he would get the chance to play for Brad Stevens. Hopefully this means free agents will start to like Boston. 
"Because there are no fours." -- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes.

"Stars. The Eskimos use them to find their way home. I use them to wish for a girlfriend."

« Reply #243 on: July 22, 2014, 10:54:59 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Evan Turner Mix that features the Celitcs inc. 76ers OT win with Turner scoring final basket. I distinctly remember him being an really intriguing player for the 76ers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9-hX5_LJEI

« Reply #244 on: July 22, 2014, 11:00:47 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Guy has had a really tough life with a lot of early illnesses and a speech impediment. Just needs the right fit. His game is too much like Rondo's though so maybe you can play him with Bradley or Smart since he has good ball handling skills. Nice to have someone other than Green you can ISO and expect to score.

« Reply #245 on: July 22, 2014, 11:01:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The reality is, Turner got his reputation hit with the Pacers, and that bought his market value and interest from other teams in FA down, and we got him for cheap. I'm hoping that this turns out to be a steal for us and that he matures better with the culture change.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #246 on: July 23, 2014, 12:52:03 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
You beat me to it.  Turner is among the worst jump shooters in the league.  For comparison

Turner 38% EFG
Jeff Green 44%
Ray Allen 55%

After a bit of searching, I did find a worse shooter. 

Tony Allen  34%  :)

Is this career figures? Can we do a comparison of his stats while he was in Philly?

Here are some career numbers for shots at different ranges.  Sorry bout the formatting.  basketball-reference.com                       

FG%                     
Season       Tm  0-3 3-10 10-16 16 3   3P
2010-11     PHI .663 .356  .366 .387 .318
2011-12     PHI .675 .402  .419 .389 .224
2012-13     PHI .546 .346  .428 .390 .365
2013-14     TOT .584 .371  .391 .396 .321
2013-14     PHI .573 .383  .409 .416 .288
2013-14     IND .636 .333  .333 .238 .500
Career               .601 .367  .406 .391 .326

4 seasons   PHI .599 .370  .411 .395 .315
1 season    IND .636 .333  .333 .238 .500

« Reply #247 on: July 23, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He impressed me with Crawford's development, who would have thought that crazy chucker can run a point effectively...
People who paid at least a little bit of attention to his body of work in Washington?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #248 on: July 23, 2014, 01:40:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Pretty much anyone who watched him play. Crawford's always been a servicable backup point guard -- the opportunities for him to flourish hadn't been there during his tenure with Washington.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #249 on: July 27, 2014, 06:52:10 AM »

Offline DutchClutch

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • Feyenoord, Arsenal & Celtics forever!
Has this deal been finalised yet? The Celtics have not officially announced it, right?

And what about the details? What will Turner earn?

Anyone knows?

« Reply #250 on: July 27, 2014, 11:07:53 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Has this deal been finalised yet? The Celtics have not officially announced it, right?

And what about the details? What will Turner earn?

Anyone knows?

It has not been announced yet.  Best guess is this:

2 years, $6.7 million over the two years.  This is the amount equal to the taxpayer mid level, since that's all the Celtics can officially sign him for right now.  The rumor is the Celtics would like to sign him for this amount, but use the non taxpayer mid-level, so that they can save part of the mid level for someone else as needed.  To do this they'd need to a make roster move or two (maybe just releasing one ot two of their non-guaranteed players), but they'd need to do something.  Certainly they have an agreement for a dollar amount and years that they will be able to offer no matter what -- the hold up is merely to see if the C's are able to do something else first to leave them with more salary cap flexibility after they sign Turner.