Author Topic: Report: Celtics Signing Evan Turner  (Read 34500 times)

Re: Report: Celtics Signing Evan Turner
« Reply #225 on: July 22, 2014, 07:40:03 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
You beat me to it.  Turner is among the worst jump shooters in the league.  For comparison

Turner 38% EFG
Jeff Green 44%
Ray Allen 55%

After a bit of searching, I did find a worse shooter. 

Tony Allen  34%  :)

« Reply #226 on: July 22, 2014, 07:46:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Blockbuster trade here. I believe we still get Love this year and the reason I think the C's will be a contender is because you have all underestimated Tyler Zeller as a backup when in fact he will play a much larger role.
I don't know who started this rumor that this team isn't very good because we have some very talented players they just need to be motivated and if Ainge pulls off the Love deal you are going to see some very motivated players. let's see how it plays out.

Even with Love + Rondo this team's not much more than a second round out.

Seriously, we have a championship roster from six years ago to compare our team to, it's not like we have to grasp at staws. The 2008 C's are the kind of team that it takes to win a championship. Even factoring in Love, do you honestly see our team winning a game, let alone a series, against our 2008 crew?

2008 C's were one of the best defensive teams in NBA history that's not a fair argument lol
This years Spurs against that team is more a question.

You can take any of the '08-'10 teams from our championship window: our current roster doesn't hold a candle to an actual title contender, is the point.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #227 on: July 22, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
we can build on a team from here and I'll tell you one thing, I much rather watch my Celtics get into the second round this year then watching what we were force fed last year and again with no guarantee.  pull the trigger, Danny!!!
instead of looking at things the way most would have you see it,  I want you to think of the players we have now, all playing at their best instead of their worst. I'm telling you this team could do some serious damage if they all get on the same page!!!

« Reply #228 on: July 22, 2014, 07:56:07 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
we can build on a team from here and I'll tell you one thing, I much rather watch my Celtics get into the second round this year then watching what we were force fed last year and again with no guarantee. pull the trigger, Danny!!!
instead of looking at things the way most would have you see it,  I want you to think of the players we have now, all playing at their best instead of their worst. I'm telling you this team could do some serious damage if they all get on the same page!!!

Pull the trigger on what? Kevin Love is on his way to Cleveland. Who else is out there that you want to trade for that we have a realistic shot at?

« Reply #229 on: July 22, 2014, 08:24:34 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
we can build on a team from here and I'll tell you one thing, I much rather watch my Celtics get into the second round this year then watching what we were force fed last year and again with no guarantee. pull the trigger, Danny!!!

Pull the trigger on what? Kevin Love is on his way to Cleveland. Who else is out there that you want to trade for that we have a realistic shot at?

Kevin Wesley Love (born September 7, 1988) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Minnesota Timberwolves of the National Basketball Association (NBA).

« Reply #230 on: July 22, 2014, 08:28:37 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Don't discard Turner as a short term trade chip. Brad Stevens has known him since high school, and he is the reason why Turner wanted to join the Celtics.

http://nesn.com/2014/07/evan-turners-agent-terms-of-celtics-deal-secondary-to-the-environment/

Boston all along has been probably our No. 1 destination,” Falk said. “I felt what Evan needed was to kind of replicate the relationship that he had with coach Brett Brown in Philadelphia, which I think worked out tremendously well for him. We were really looking mostly for an environment more than geography. Brad has known Evan since high school, and we think that the very personal that college coaches have with their players is more in line with what we experienced with Brett.”

He also had dinner the other night with fellow Ohio State alums Sullinger and Jeff Green, and is close friends with Sullinger.

« Reply #231 on: July 22, 2014, 08:31:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Kevin Wesley Love (born September 7, 1988) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Minnesota Timberwolves of the National Basketball Association (NBA).

Ah, OK, I see you are one of the people who chose to live in fantasy land and ignore the facts that the Celtics are not in the running for Love i.e. meaning there is no deal on the table for Danny to pull the trigger on as you implied. There never was.

« Reply #232 on: July 22, 2014, 08:34:52 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Ah, OK, I see you are one of the people who chose to live in fantasy land and ignore the facts that the Celtics are not in the running for Love i.e. meaning there is no deal on the table for Danny to pull the trigger on as you implied. There never was.

It hasn't happened (yet?) no need to insult him.

« Reply #233 on: July 22, 2014, 08:39:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Not meant as an insult to anyone in particular, just stating my opinion as I have the right to do, that anyone on here still pining for Love is living in a fantasy world.

We acquired two young and talented players who fill needs on this team in Zeller and Evans, as well as Thorton and a 1st round pick, for practically nothing, and a large group of people are still drooling over an overrated power forward who plays no defense and is going to get overpaid in Cleveland or Golden State.

« Reply #234 on: July 22, 2014, 08:40:53 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Not meant as an insult to anyone in particular, just stating my opinion as I have the right to do, that anyone on here still pining for Love is living in a fantasy world.

Again it feels that it comes off as an insult. The trade between Minny and the Cavs hasn't happened yet. It's gaining traction, but after all these reports that the deal is done etc. I have a feeling it may fail again.

« Reply #235 on: July 22, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Don't discard Turner as a short term trade chip. Brad Stevens has known him since high school, and he is the reason why Turner wanted to join the Celtics.

http://nesn.com/2014/07/evan-turners-agent-terms-of-celtics-deal-secondary-to-the-environment/

Boston all along has been probably our No. 1 destination,” Falk said. “I felt what Evan needed was to kind of replicate the relationship that he had with coach Brett Brown in Philadelphia, which I think worked out tremendously well for him. We were really looking mostly for an environment more than geography. Brad has known Evan since high school, and we think that the very personal that college coaches have with their players is more in line with what we experienced with Brett.”

He also had dinner the other night with fellow Ohio State alums Sullinger and Jeff Green, and is close friends with Sullinger.

Jeff Green is a Georgetown alum.   The connection is that he, Sully & Turner all have the same agent (David Falk).

The personal connections are nice.   I remember how Doc had a nice, long personal connection with Michael Finley.  Barely played him.   He also had a nice, long personal relationship with Courtney Lee.   Benched him.

In both cases, it was, imho, the right thing to do because (a) Finley's old legs were gone and (b) Lee kept messing up defensive help rotations.

The fact that Brad may have a personal relationship with Evan from way back is nice.  Maybe he'll have a way of getting through to this kid to help him straighten out his so-far wreck of an NBA career.

But if he continues to perform as crappy as he has through most of his NBA career, or if he continues with some of the weird shenanigans off the court, I hope that Brad remembers that he's the coach of an NBA team and, like Doc, benches him.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #236 on: July 22, 2014, 08:43:25 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
we can build on a team from here and I'll tell you one thing, I much rather watch my Celtics get into the second round this year then watching what we were force fed last year and again with no guarantee.  pull the trigger, Danny!!!

Just curious...what kind of damage so you think this team can do? Maybe break some rims with the bricks they will be putting up. Definitely will win more than last year, but that's about it. Not bad...

« Reply #237 on: July 22, 2014, 09:03:43 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
You beat me to it.  Turner is among the worst jump shooters in the league.  For comparison

Turner 38% EFG
Jeff Green 44%
Ray Allen 55%

After a bit of searching, I did find a worse shooter. 

Tony Allen  34%  :)

Is this career figures? Can we do a comparison of his stats while he was in Philly?
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #238 on: July 22, 2014, 09:04:27 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Again it feels that it comes off as an insult. The trade between Minny and the Cavs hasn't happened yet. It's gaining traction, but after all these reports that the deal is done etc. I have a feeling it may fail again.

well, take it as you want it then

« Reply #239 on: July 22, 2014, 09:44:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Jeff Green is a Georgetown alum.   The connection is that he, Sully & Turner all have the same agent (David Falk).

The personal connections are nice.   I remember how Doc had a nice, long personal connection with Michael Finley.  Barely played him.   He also had a nice, long personal relationship with Courtney Lee.   Benched him.

In both cases, it was, imho, the right thing to do because (a) Finley's old legs were gone and (b) Lee kept messing up defensive help rotations.

The fact that Brad may have a personal relationship with Evan from way back is nice.  Maybe he'll have a way of getting through to this kid to help him straighten out his so-far wreck of an NBA career.

But if he continues to perform as crappy as he has through most of his NBA career, or if he continues with some of the weird shenanigans off the court, I hope that Brad remembers that he's the coach of an NBA team and, like Doc, benches him.

Yeah, my mistake on Green.

This is the first example of Brad Stevens as a legit draw for free-agents though, which is pretty impressive for a 2nd year coach of a lottery team.