Author Topic: Report: Celtics Signing Evan Turner  (Read 34425 times)

Re: Report: Celtics Signing Evan Turner
« Reply #210 on: July 22, 2014, 02:30:10 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
A blockbuster trade for whom?
Danny's just trying to "build assets"...get increasingly better players at all positions, collect picks and create cap flexibility. I do think he wants to make a "blockbuster trade"...or two...at some point, but I don't think we're anywhere near that point yet.

If you want an analogy, I think the C's are about where they were in 2004-2005. They had several good young assets they were developing (Allen, West, Jefferson, Perkins) and one marginal All-Star (Pierce @ 27). Danny added assets and kept churning for another 3 years before the "blockbuster" trades presented themselves.  This time Danny has more picks and a better starting point, asset wise, I think, but it's still going to be a "process" that takes a few years.

Edit: Before anyone screams about "marginal All-Star (Pierce @ 27)", I know Pierce is a GREAT player, but in 2004 he (a) had a questionable rep (selfish) around the league, (b) had shown little leadership ability, (c) looked like he might demand a trade or otherwise leave and (d) hadn't cemented his legacy as a Celtics great. This year's Rondo is about at the same place Paul Pierce was in 2004, only time will tell if Rajon's game will ascend to Pierce's heights or not.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:16:58 PM by erisred »

« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2014, 02:32:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'm aware and agree -- that's why it was a question directed at another poster.  ;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #212 on: July 22, 2014, 03:03:59 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
Blockbuster trade here. I believe we still get Love this year and the reason I think the C's will be a contender is because you have all underestimated Tyler Zeller as a backup when in fact he will play a much larger role.
I don't know who started this rumor that this team isn't very good because we have some very talented players they just need to be motivated and if Ainge pulls off the Love deal you are going to see some very motivated players. let's see how it plays out.

« Reply #213 on: July 22, 2014, 04:40:23 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Blockbuster trade here. I believe we still get Love this year and the reason I think the C's will be a contender is because you have all underestimated Tyler Zeller as a backup when in fact he will play a much larger role.
I don't know who started this rumor that this team isn't very good because we have some very talented players they just need to be motivated and if Ainge pulls off the Love deal you are going to see some very motivated players. let's see how it plays out.

Even with Love + Rondo this team's not much more than a second round out.

Seriously, we have a championship roster from six years ago to compare our team to, it's not like we have to grasp at staws. The 2008 C's are the kind of team that it takes to win a championship. Even factoring in Love, do you honestly see our team winning a game, let alone a series, against our 2008 crew?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #214 on: July 22, 2014, 04:45:15 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
So its a 2 year deal?

« Reply #215 on: July 22, 2014, 05:19:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I assume it will be because they said it's setup so he will be a FA and get paid in 2016, so he can get the big bucks on that deal.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #216 on: July 22, 2014, 05:28:34 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
I assume it will be because they said it's setup so he will be a FA and get paid in 2016, so he can get the big bucks on that deal.

Turner, the 2010 No. 2 pick, got nibbles but was not one of the big players in free agency and ended up signing with Boston for a portion of their mid-level exception on a two-year deal.

“I think he was probably the most undervalued free agent on the market. Evan was in a dramatically different situation the day before the deadline than he was when he finished the year. He didn’t get a lot of playing time in Indiana unfortunately…

“Had Evan stayed in Philly with those kind of numbers, more than likely he would have made in excess of $10 million a year,” he said. “So we obviously didn’t want to lock him into a long-term kind of a deal, and I think, likewise, the Celtics want to see. They know Evan was the national Player of the Year (in 2009-10). They know that over the last two years he’s averaged 14, 6 and 4 (13.7 points, 5.7 rebounds, 3.8 assists), which are pretty good numbers. So I think this is an opportunity for him to re-establish his value in a new environment.

PBT

« Reply #217 on: July 22, 2014, 06:17:48 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92

Seriously, we have a championship roster from six years ago to compare our team to, it's not like we have to grasp at staws. The 2008 C's are the kind of team that it takes to win a championship. Even factoring in Love, do you honestly see our team winning a game, let alone a series, against our 2008 crew?

to be honest with you D.o.s.,   I'm not big on comparisons. I just think Ainge will pull the trigger this year.  he's got enough assets to pull off this Love deal and good players make average players better. I am really adamant about the C's having a breakout year.

« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2014, 06:24:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The 2008 team was probably the best team since the mid-90s Bulls teams. We should aim high, but be realistic. Even still, a Love/Rondo led team could probably win a game against that team.

« Reply #219 on: July 22, 2014, 06:27:52 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

2008 C's were one of the best defensive teams in NBA history that's not a fair argument lol
This years Spurs against that team is more a question.

« Reply #220 on: July 22, 2014, 06:32:45 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

The 2008 team was probably the best team since the mid-90s Bulls teams. We should aim high, but be realistic. Even still, a Love/Rondo led team could probably win a game against that team.

It would also serve as a foundation for other players to come here and play for the Celtics.

« Reply #221 on: July 22, 2014, 07:07:25 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I think adding Love makes the C's a stronger team moving forward but not a real championship contender yet.  As for getting Love, I don't think we stand a chance if Wiggins is in the mix.  What could the C's possibly put togther to match the future value of Wiggins? Yes Wiggins is a 'maybe superstar', but you don't beat a maybe superstar by offering a bunch of maybe starters and maybe lottery picks.

« Reply #222 on: July 22, 2014, 07:11:17 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
Evan Turner is a good mid-range shooter. we didnt have that now we do.

« Reply #223 on: July 22, 2014, 07:33:33 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I wish that were true, but it isn't =( He is a prolific taker of mid-range shots, but there hasn't been a single spot on the floor between the paint and the 3-point line where he's been above average, in terms of scoring efficiency, since 2012.

Check out his shot efficiency chart on vorped- http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/player/shotchart/1066-Evan-Turner/season/2013-2014-REG

« Reply #224 on: July 22, 2014, 07:37:55 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50

I wish that were true, but it isn't =( He is a prolific taker of mid-range shots, but there hasn't been a single spot on the floor between the paint and the 3-point line where he's been above average, in terms of scoring efficiency, since 2012.

Check out his shot efficiency chart on vorped- http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/player/shotchart/1066-Evan-Turner/season/2013-2014-REG
dang. well 47% from the right elbow area isnt horrendous.