Author Topic: Report: Celtics Signing Evan Turner  (Read 34545 times)

Re: Report: Celtics Signing Evan Turner
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2014, 05:15:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Anyone knows how many years yet?

Nope.

This is all the info I can find
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24631416/report-celtics-finalizing-deal-with-free-agent-evan-turner

What I learned from that article is that Jeff Green and Evan Turner share an agent (who's also Sullinger's agent.)

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2014, 05:16:27 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Breaking: Celtics sign Evan Turner, remain bad basketball team.

TP.

I don't get it. I've always seen Turner as more of a 2 than a 3 and we have about half a roster of guards currently. Whatever, really don't care what happens anymore in the immediate future. Just putting all my stake in the long-term.

Eh, I think he's more of a 3 that can slide over to the 2 occasionally. I'm assuming he's going to play Green (and maybe Wallace depending how he's recovering after surgery) and they're going send Young to the D-League to play.

Depth Chart

Rondo/Smart (who I think will also play a lot at the 2)/Pressey
Bradley/Thornton
Green/Turner/Wallace
Sullinger/Olynyk/Bass
Zeller/Fav
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2014, 05:16:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Nothing against Jeff Green, but I hope this means a deal is in the works to send him elsewhere, presumably Atlanta.  Although perhaps it means that Gerald Wallace isn't healing well at all, and depth is needed at the 3.

Or a Green, Bogans (as cap filler), and pick(s) for a S&T of Monroe.

Woj
The Pistons have been willing to engage teams in sign-and-trade scenarios for Monroe, but those talks have gained little traction, sources said.

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2014, 05:16:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Another buy-low asset that Ainge will try to flip.  Nice.

This isn't a team at this point.  It's just a collection of trade chips.  Ainge is in the thick of asset acquisition mode.

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
G: Rondo, Smart
G: Bradley, Turner

That has to be the worst jump-shooting backcourt in the league.

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2014, 05:17:45 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Evan Turner is a pretty good player. We have a lot of decent wings now with Turner, Thornton, Green, and Bradley.

Part of me thinks there is a trade in the works, but another part of me is fine going into the season stocked at the position.

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2014, 05:18:17 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I always said the Celtics could never sign a big name free agent, today I stand corrected. I apologize for being a doubter.

But really, a pretty good signing, nice depth on the wing.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2014, 05:18:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Breaking: Celtics sign Evan Turner, remain bad basketball team.

TP.

I don't get it. I've always seen Turner as more of a 2 than a 3 and we have about half a roster of guards currently. Whatever, really don't care what happens anymore in the immediate future. Just putting all my stake in the long-term.

That's the spirit! ;)

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
*sings Chuck Berry My Ding A Ling...*

Lol jokes aside there's nothing not to like about this signing. if he looks good we can flip him or keep him and try and slip into the playoffs
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2014, 05:18:43 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Boston signs Evan turner? That a surprise.

We already have rondo Bradley smart young and Thornton at the moment. That's too many guards.

There must be another move coming. My guess is definitely Marcus Thornton and possibly bass/bogans are outgoing at some point for another player at another position.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2014, 05:19:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Former #2 overall pick. I love it. Sure, he's had issues but he's also put up numbers and never really been in a stable, positive environment. Philly has been a ridiculous place in recent years.

Bogans, Babb, Johnson out the door unless included in a trade soon. More offensive firepower and upside potential overall.

Sully's Buckeye homeboy .. . maybe the two of them can recreate some of the magic they had in Columbus?

Did you miss his stint in Indiana?

Yeah, but it sounds like Indiana didn't have the most stable locker room last season (maybe Bynum, Hibbert or Stephenson was the cause, who knows?)

I think he deserves a second chance. Also for what it's worth, Turner always played well vs the Celtics when he was with Philly.

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2014, 05:20:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Former #2 overall pick. I love it. Sure, he's had issues but he's also put up numbers and never really been in a stable, positive environment. Philly has been a ridiculous place in recent years.

Bogans, Babb, Johnson out the door unless included in a trade soon. More offensive firepower and upside potential overall.

Sully's Buckeye homeboy .. . maybe the two of them can recreate some of the magic they had in Columbus?

Yeah, but it sounds like Indiana didn't have the most stable locker room last season (maybe Bynum, Hibbert or Stephenson was the cause, who knows?)

I think he deserves a second chance. Also for what it's worth, Turner always played well vs the Celtics when he was with Philly.

That is where a lot of the enthusiasm is coming from, I'd wager. Kind of like how people were stoked on Jerryd Bayless for similar reasons.

I like Jerryd Bayless more than Evan Turner, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2014, 05:21:36 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2014, 05:21:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Nothing against Jeff Green, but I hope this means a deal is in the works to send him elsewhere, presumably Atlanta.  Although perhaps it means that Gerald Wallace isn't healing well at all, and depth is needed at the 3.

Or a Green, Bogans (as cap filler), and pick(s) for a S&T of Monroe.

Woj
The Pistons have been willing to engage teams in sign-and-trade scenarios for Monroe, but those talks have gained little traction, sources said.

Could be I suppose.  I'd hope Sully gets sent out in that deal instead of picks, however.  I think Monroe makes more sense at the 4.  And if Love is still in Minny in February, Monroe could be the centerpiece heading back (as jerkish as that would be to Monroe).

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

That is where a lot of the enthusiasm is coming from, I'd wager. Kind of like how people were stoked on Jerryd Bayless for similar reasons.

I like Jerryd Bayless more than Evan Turner, though.

I liked Bayless too.

I actually thought he was one of the few bright spots of last season. He could score with the best of them. I also actually wish they resigned Bayless instead of Bradley.