Author Topic: How bad is josh smiths contract?  (Read 4727 times)

How bad is josh smiths contract?
« on: July 21, 2014, 12:47:06 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
With the big fish gone and the c's clear need for a shot blocker I'm looking at the readily available jsmooth.
With all his warts he does provide some serious d and rim protection from the 4. Would allow us to play Zeller and Oly at the 5 and I think he'd compliment green's game.

Obviously his numbers last year don't justify his contract (I don't think his career justifies the contract) but given our situation...
Real question is how bad does the contract  hamstring us in the future?
Would it be more palitable if det took on Wallace's contract?
Could we stomach "the wiggle 2.0"?

Re: How bad is josh smiths contract?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
It is not a bad contract. $13.5 million is fine money for Josh Smith.

My only issue is both Sullinger and Olynyk play the same position as Josh Smith. My concern is with their development, their trade value and also how cheap they are compared to Smith.

In the past, I'd loved to have had Josh Smith on the Celtics but the timing now is not so good. It would hurt two of the team's best assets. And still leave an awful lot of work left to do (rebuilding wise, to get to Championship level). It's not like Smith is Kevin Love. It is a good upgrade for Boston but is it worth hurting best young players (hurting their development and trade value in the process) + adding that much extra payroll (decreasing cap space / flexibility) that will limit future moves. I do not think so. Not the right moment for Boston to make a run at Smith.

It's a shame really. I think Smith would have been a great target otherwise.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't think his contract is justified given his net production (#'s - boneheaded plays), and I don't want him signed or paid here as some prospective one of whatever next "Big Three". The C's will finally have real room under the salary cap next summer if they don't clog it up with so-so players.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
With the big fish gone and the c's clear need for a shot blocker I'm looking at the readily available jsmooth.
With all his warts he does provide some serious d and rim protection from the 4. Would allow us to play Zeller and Oly at the 5 and I think he'd compliment green's game.

Obviously his numbers last year don't justify his contract (I don't think his career justifies the contract) but given our situation...
Real question is how bad does the contract  hamstring us in the future?
Would it be more palitable if det took on Wallace's contract?
Could we stomach "the wiggle 2.0"?

He just doesn't make sense for this team.  He's a PF and as others have stated we already have 3 at that position.  He is not a SF and if anyone plays him there it's a huge mistake.  The only benefit to getting him that I would see would be keeping Rondo happy and getting him to sign long term.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 01:33:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't think his contract is justified given his net production (#'s - boneheaded plays), and I don't want him signed or paid here as some prospective one of whatever next "Big Three". The C's will finally have real room under the salary cap next summer if they don't clog it up with so-so players.

If they're keeping Rondo, they'll have some room, probably around $12 million depending where the salary cap winds up, and where they select in the draft.  That's decent money, but it's not going to get the superstar you're probably hoping for.  Also, this is assuming that Jeff Green opts out and the C's let him walk, and they don't keep any of their currently non-guaranteed contracts (Pressey, Bogans, Johnson, Babb, Faverani), but do pick up the options of all their guys on rookie deals (Sullinger, Olynyk, Zeller).

Not trying to comment on the viability of Smith or not -- just trying to get out ahead of the Celticsblog urban legend that we will have superstar cap room without making some sort of significant move (namely moving Wallace for no 2015 salary.)

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 02:00:04 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

If they're keeping Rondo, they'll have some room, probably around $12 million depending where the salary cap winds up, and where they select in the draft.  That's decent money, but it's not going to get the superstar you're probably hoping for.  Also, this is assuming that Jeff Green opts out and the C's let him walk, and they don't keep any of their currently non-guaranteed contracts (Pressey, Bogans, Johnson, Babb, Faverani), but do pick up the options of all their guys on rookie deals (Sullinger, Olynyk, Zeller).

Not trying to comment on the viability of Smith or not -- just trying to get out ahead of the Celticsblog urban legend that we will have superstar cap room without making some sort of significant move (namely moving Wallace for no 2015 salary.)

Thanks for pointing this out. For some reason a bunch of media outlets discuss the "money coming off the books" and people start to equate that with the amount of cap room that we have to sign FAs.

Reality is we won't be able to make a run at a big name FA next summer. I'm fine with that -- players seem to prefer warm places with no taxes.... it highlights the need for DA to use some of that "money coming off of the books" in a mid-season trade.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 02:04:14 PM »

Offline Celticjay

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
One thing I think gets looked over is that we need to upgrade our PF position.   We all hope Sully will get cracking with his body and have a Kevin Love like makeover.  If it doesn't happen this summer I doubt it will, he just doesn't seem to have that killer instinct as he's much more of a jokester. 

Bass isn't someone we should consider at all long term.

Olynk likely is better as the first big off the bench.

So really we're left with Sully and in my mind he and Olynk are similar in their games as they are both un athletic bigs.  We really don't have room for both.

I think we really need to upgrade that spot going forward with some athleticism and power.   Josh Smith might be a good stop gap and now his contract doesn't  seem so excessive. In 2 years it will be a bargain.  He's one of Rondo's best buddies and they have great chemistry.   It would significantly improve our odds of signing Rondo long term, which we need to do if we want to be relevant in the next couple of years. 

If those 2 play really well this year we easily make the playoffs probably with a 6 or 7 seed.

My point  here isn't just to bring in Josh Smith, as he is a flawed player..  It's that we need to upgrade at PF position.

If we can't keep Rondo then it would be pointless to bring in Smith.   If that was the case then I'd trade Rondo,  for Nash and Randle.  Randle is the type of PF we need.  He's super competitive, strong and athletic.  Him Smart and Young would be a great core to go young with.

In any event I'm just not buying that we have a good look at PF as currently constructed.!!

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 02:19:09 PM »

Offline Celticjay

• Brad Stevens
If Josh stops shooting 3's he's a good player..

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 02:23:19 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
I'm not against a trade for Josh Smith. He is clearly not someone that will put us into contention, but is perhaps someone who helps us get closer to where we need to be. Think "a stepping stone". I do like that he and Rondo are friends.

However, I imagine Detroit would want Jeff Green back in return for Josh Smith (but maybe they have less of a need for JG now that they've signed C. Butler). I'm not sure that swapping Green for Smith is all that useful for the Cs..
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »

Offline Celticjay

• Brad Stevens
Trade Bass, Bogans unguaranteed and a pick or Sully.

Bass is and expiring and more suited to be a backup..

I'd do it in a second as we could always trade smith later if needed.  Just don't let him shoot any threes!!!

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 02:39:42 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I'm not against a trade for Josh Smith. He is clearly not someone that will put us into contention, but is perhaps someone who helps us get closer to where we need to be. Think "a stepping stone". I do like that he and Rondo are friends.

However, I imagine Detroit would want Jeff Green back in return for Josh Smith (but maybe they have less of a need for JG now that they've signed C. Butler). I'm not sure that swapping Green for Smith is all that useful for the Cs..
My thought was Wallace, sully filler for smith.
Rondo
Bradley
Green
Smith
Zeller
With smart, young, Oly off bench

Smiths main + is athletic D to pair with less athletic 5's Zeller and Oly
Green is a 3 who doesn't need the ball much, he either shoots or passes immediately.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:24:50 PM by arctic 3.0 »

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 02:42:06 PM »

Offline Celticjay

• Brad Stevens

Rondo
Bradley
Green
Smith
Zeller

Team has great athleticism and potential on defense
I'm in..

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Haven't watch much Piston games over the last year. Don't know where is game is at. But every one seems to be getting big $ lately so maybe his contract is just the norm.

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 02:44:42 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Rondo
Bradley
Green
Smith
Zeller

Yes, I see your point. It really only makes sense for Boston if Sully is included in such a trade. Would Detroit be interested in Sully? Not clear. But, the lineup above would help insure that Smith doesn't take many threes (that would be for Green).

EDIT: would certainly be a fun team to watch, and could make the playoffs as #7 or #8, and maybe make things difficult on defense for whoever they're paired with - probably still an early round exit, but interesting nevertheless.
Celtics fan for life.