Author Topic: Knicks open to trade....  (Read 4336 times)

Re: Knicks open to trade....
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 10:30:17 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Shumpert has bad knees and will not age well. No thanks Ny

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 10:46:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I would do Green, Bass and Bogans for Stat and Shumpert.

Then, sign Evan Turner to replace Green.

Amare's contract would give us an expiring 22 million deal and that much more cap space for next summer.

Plus, I kinda like this lineup for next season. Maybe we even make the playoffs

PG-Rondo/Smart/Pressey
SG-Bradley/Thornton/Shumpert/Young (you know Bradley is going to miss time with injuries)
SF-Turner/Wallace (Shumpert can also play the 3, right?)
PF-Amar'e/Sully/Olynyk
C-Zeller/Faverani/Anthony

Not too shabby (IMO.)

Plus, that leaves you with alot of money off the books for next season to resign Rondo and go after a 2015 max free agent like Love, Gasol or Aldridge.

Green is likely opting out next season.  In fact, that he is opting out is rumored to be one reason his trade value is low, as teams don't want to pay much for a one year rental.

Since Green is opting out, there are no cap saving next year, because Bass and Bogans will also be gone.

?? Not sure I am following you.

If Green does end up opting out (which is not guaranteed as he would be leaving 9 mil on the table) that's even more incentive for the Knicks to do the deal because they'll also be hunting for cap space next summer.

In the interim, they get Green to be a 6th man and back up Melo at the SF position.

For the Celts, they get an established (though admittedly injury prone) vet in Stoudemire who will provide the team some experience.

The only real obstacle that I could see flying in the face of the "cap savings" aspect is how much of a contract would you have to sign Turner to?

If he be willing to take 1 year deal to sorta restablish himself after his failed Indy stint, all the better

For starters, the only way Green isn't opting out is if he suffers a major injury or another heart ailment this year.  If he's healthy, he'll opt out, even if it's just to sign a longer deal at his current salary.  And given the way this past offseason went, it's probable he'll get a pay increase from someone.

Anyway, the way to think about the salary cap is not how much you have coming off the books, but how much you have committed next year.  Those are correlated, sure, but they're not identical.  Bass has $0 committed next year.  Bogans has $0 committed next year.  Green, I argue, will have $0 committed next year.  So that means that the Celtics are trading away $0 committed next year.  Accordingly, anything they take in cannot possibly be cap savings.  Furthermore, if they sign Turner and/or extend Shumpert, they will actually lose cap space.

Mind you, I'm not a huge fan of the "let's create cap room" plan for next offseason, and I don't think Ainge is really focused on that either.  If he pursues a Love, or even an Aldridge should LMA become available, Ainge's primary method is through trade, either offseason, mid-season, or sign-and-trade.  He has the ability to create cap room if a free agent wants to sign here and his original team won't cooperate with a sign-and-trade, but that's not his first choice, as it means he'd have a shallower roster (two max/near-max free agents, Bradley, rookie deal players, and minimum salary players.  i.e, the Cavs, except without LeBron.)  I don't like the proposed deal here for other reasons (makes the team worse this year with no future benefit, puts Celtics in luxury tax), but I want to make sure that the proposed benefit, increased future cap room, is recognized as pretty unlikely to occur, and not much of an actual benefit if it does.

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 11:01:45 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Send them Thornton, and ask for their 2019 unprotected first rounder alongside JR and Shump.

JR is a knucklehead, but if Coach Stevens could make Steez look like a PG, he can showcase JR and get something out of him.

We're stuck with Gerald Wallace until 2016 anyway, so adding JR's money won't be the end of the world.

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The Knicks are funny. Them being open to trading 2 flawed bench guards would like:

Celtics open to trading Gerald Wallace and Brandon Bass.

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 12:15:14 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
The Knicks are funny. Them being open to trading 2 flawed bench guards would like:

Celtics open to trading Gerald Wallace and Brandon Bass.

Haha.  I like Brandon and Gerald, but if we're comparing "flawed assetts" NY unfortunately trumps ours.  Stat, JR and Shump all have upsides: ($alary, talent and good defense)

The more I think about it, JR would make a great RickyD2.0 to satisfy the interim highlight reel for our multi-year rebuild  ;D
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 06:02:37 PM »

Offline bballee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18
Bass, Joel Anthony, and Gerald Wallace for
Shumpert, Bargnani, Larkin, and C. Early?

Gives NY some front court help they desperately need and dumps their undesirables,
gives Boston a look-see at some potential help while ridding the last/next year of Wallace's contract.

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 06:04:17 PM »

Offline bballee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18

Gives NY some front court help they desperately need and dumps their undesirables,
gives Boston a look-see at some potential help while ridding the last/next year of Wallace's contract.

Also gets Boston under Lux Cap but would fill last roster slot.

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 06:33:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
It's surprising to see that Phil is open to trading Shumpert, because he'd be the perfect defensive guard in the triangle, seeing as how can play 2-3 different positions.  I don't think he'd want to trade Cleanthony Early, either, not there's any room on our roster for him.  Including Shumpert in a deal is probably the only way he'd be able to convince someone to take Amare's contract, though.  I don't want that guy in green, even if it's a rental (he'd be coming off of the bench, anyway, like he did last year because of his knees and minute restrictions).  He's a punk, imo.  At least, that's how he's always played. 

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 08:10:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Not a bad idea.

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 08:14:12 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

Not a bad idea.

Im okay with this, but will the knicks do this trade? They really value shumpert and Hardaway as very nice bait; I think once Phil Jackson sees Wallace's contract he'll scream like a banshee and run;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;