Author Topic: Anyone have a curved tv ?  (Read 4242 times)

Anyone have a curved tv ?
« on: July 20, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Anyone have a curved tv, i was at Jordan's furniture and it really caught my eye. Looking to buy a new tv soon. Was just wondering if anyone has one or had any input on them

Re: Anyone have a curved tv ?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 04:02:34 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
Not sure about the curve tv might hold off but still, Looking for a smart tv . Can anyone recommend a good smart tv between 50 to 60 inches

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 04:05:50 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
curve TVs are overrated, great colors. I don't know much about TVs, but my friend who works at Best Buy said this and I quote

"The curve TV is a rip off, expensive and not worth it. It displays excellent colors and displays and best movie experience for anyone...

if you sit right in front of it

if you sit on the side, it's nothing more than a regular TV"

Wait 2 - 3 years and watch those price drop dramatically. For 50-60 Inches

A regular 1080p, 120hz LED TV from Samsung in my opinion is sufficient and good. If you want to go cheaper, LG, Visio are also good choices 

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 04:11:20 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
curve TVs are overrated, great colors. I don't know much about TVs, but my friend who works at Best Buy said this and I quote

"The curve TV is a rip off, expensive and not worth it. It displays excellent colors and displays and best movie experience for anyone...

A regular 1080p, 120hz LED TV from Samsung in my opinion is sufficient and good. If you want to go cheaper, LG, Visio are also good choices

Thanks i am leaning towards  looking for a samsung tv.  But someone told me lg are good ones for sports so thats throwing me off

The cheapest curve tv i saw was 1800 and believe that was a 50 or 55 and was a samsung   

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 04:22:02 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Thanks i am leaning towards  looking for a samsung tv.  But someone told me lg are good ones for sports so thats throwing me off

The cheapest curve tv i saw was 1800 and believe that was a 50 or 55 and was a samsung

Curve TV in my honest opinion is going to be a fad just like 3D TVs. Pixels is huge, but you don't really need to get a curve TV for it, or overpay. You can grab cheap 50 inchers for less than 1 grand in some places...look for sales

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 04:28:34 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Currently have no knowledge about them whatsoever, but I personally could never see myself paying for a curve unless the T.V. was at least 200 inches.  I mean, don't your eyes work?  Did God forget to give you depth perception?

Anything less than 200" I would imagine the distortion is hardly negligible.  Maybe someone can explain it to me, I thought it was designed for projection screens so the all the light travels the same distance.  I guess that logic obviously doesn't apply to rear-projection since they aren't curved the other way  :D.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Maybe if I had curved walls but I do not.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 05:20:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Samsung has the best and most complete SmartTV on the market.  They are one of the thinnest and lightest so if you are going to hang it it is easier to do.  You do pay more for them, but they really are the best tv's. 

I also have a nice LED non-smart LG, which has been great for 5/6 years.  They make a good quality tv, but the smart features (at least when I was looking at smart tv's a year and a half ago) aren't as nice and they were bulkier, which is why I went with a Samsung Smart tv.

If you are going to watch a lot of sports and high action type movies and shows, you might want to look at the 240hz as they are better for those types of things.  If you hit the sales at the right time, you can also find them for not a whole lot more than the 120hz.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 05:21:25 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Not sure about the curve tv might hold off but still, Looking for a smart tv . Can anyone recommend a good smart tv between 50 to 60 inches

Vizio and Samsung make a good TV. Vizio is cheaper. My brother in-law just bought a 40inch LED for around 450. I think I saw a 50 inch for less than 600.

I've had a LCD Vizio for the last 5 years and it's held up well. Actually payed more than what a 50 inch LED goes for now.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
If you can put up with just an entry-level 720p TV, the 51" plasma Samsung is being sold for a song and a dance right now ($380 at Best Buy). Last chance to get a plasma from Samsung before they stop making them by the end of November.