Author Topic: Wiggins to sign a contract this week  (Read 3437 times)

Wiggins to sign a contract this week
« on: July 20, 2014, 07:56:08 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Cavaliers are expected to sign Andrew Wiggins to a rookie-scale contract in the coming week, according to ESPN's Brian Windhorst.

Espn

Re: Wiggins to sign a contract this week
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 08:00:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
First step in trading him.  You have to get that 30 day clock running, so that his salary can be included in a deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 08:16:57 PM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
First step in trading him.  You have to get that 30 day clock running, so that his salary can be included in a deal.

Wait,  I thought it was he was not getting signed so he could be traded.  Wouldnt signing him make him less likely to be traded?  Thats how it was for Smart, wasn't it?

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I thought after a rookie was signed to a contract, you couldn't trade him for another 30 days.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 08:23:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Wait,  I thought it was he was not getting signed so he could be traded.  Wouldnt signing him make him less likely to be traded?  Thats how it was for Smart, wasn't it?

Cleveland can't trade him for 30 days, but that still gets a deal done well in advance of training camp.

Right now, due to salary matching rules, the Cavs would have to include multiple good, young players along with Wiggins just to make a deal legal.  Signing Wiggins and dealing him in a month would allow the Cavs to keep at least one additional player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 08:51:14 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
The main reason he hasn't been signed yet is to leave cap room in case the Cavs wanted to use what little space they have left on a FA.

Looks like they're fine with what they have as of now.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 08:55:48 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
The main reason he hasn't been signed yet is to leave cap room in case the Cavs wanted to use what little space they have left on a FA.

Looks like they're fine with what they have as of now.
Well yeah they'll get Love and fill the team with shooters like Ray who will get on his knees and come crawling to them
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 09:17:58 PM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
"Once the Cavs exhaust their cap space and sign Wiggins, they are expected to officially sign free agent Mike Miller to a two-year, $5.6 million deal. The Cavs will be signing Miller with their $2.7 million "room" exception, which can only be used after teams that previously had salary-cap room use it up.

The Cavs also remain interested in free agent Ray Allen, who is being recruited to Cleveland by former teammates Miller and LeBron James. But Cleveland will only be able to offer him a $1.4 million veteran's minimum contract." - Marc Stein

$1.4M for Allen is too low he's clearly better than Miller....
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 09:37:03 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
"Once the Cavs exhaust their cap space and sign Wiggins, they are expected to officially sign free agent Mike Miller to a two-year, $5.6 million deal. The Cavs will be signing Miller with their $2.7 million "room" exception, which can only be used after teams that previously had salary-cap room use it up.

The Cavs also remain interested in free agent Ray Allen, who is being recruited to Cleveland by former teammates Miller and LeBron James. But Cleveland will only be able to offer him a $1.4 million veteran's minimum contract." - Marc Stein

Yeah but if Ray Allen can get to play with his boyfriend Lebron, he'll play for free.

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 10:00:45 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

Yeah but if Ray Allen can get to play with his boyfriend Lebron, he'll play for free.

Yep, Frodo Allen wants to have another ring.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 10:18:20 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Cleveland can't trade him for 30 days, but that still gets a deal done well in advance of training camp.

Right now, due to salary matching rules, the Cavs would have to include multiple good, young players along with Wiggins just to make a deal legal.  Signing Wiggins and dealing him in a month would allow the Cavs to keep at least one additional player.

If this was the first step in a trade, we'd probably know about it already.  Enough people in the Cavs and Wolves would have to know about the deal for it to leak.  I'm not saying the trade won't happen, just that this isn't evidence that it's a done deal.

I am starting to suspect three factors might prevent Love from going to Cleveland.

1.  I'm not sure Love is enough of a beta-make to accept playing third fiddle behind LeBron and Kyrie.

2.  Cleveland is probably leery of signing Love without an extension and Love likely isn't offering to do any more than opt in for the final year of his deal.  Just like LeBron, Love is going to want to sign a max deal under the expected higher salary cap from the new TV deal.

3.  Minny is desperate to make the playoffs and Flip really thinks he can get them there with Love and that will convince him to stay.

Mike

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 10:19:16 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
As a basketball fan, I would love to see Wiggins and Lebron on the court together.  I hope they at least wait until mid season before trading him.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 10:31:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

"Only" 1.4 million?  How is he supposed to feed his family on that kind of a salary (sarcasm)?  ;D ::)

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

If this was the first step in a trade, we'd probably know about it already.  Enough people in the Cavs and Wolves would have to know about the deal for it to leak.  I'm not saying the trade won't happen, just that this isn't evidence that it's a done deal.

I am starting to suspect three factors might prevent Love from going to Cleveland.

1.  I'm not sure Love is enough of a beta-make to accept playing third fiddle behind LeBron and Kyrie.

2.  Cleveland is probably leery of signing Love without an extension and Love likely isn't offering to do any more than opt in for the final year of his deal.  Just like LeBron, Love is going to want to sign a max deal under the expected higher salary cap from the new TV deal.

3.  Minny is desperate to make the playoffs and Flip really thinks he can get them there with Love and that will convince him to stay.

Mike

Well as a Celts fan, right now Love staying in Minny is the best case scenario, because that means that we'll have the chance to get him in 2015 as a free agent.

I also agree with you that I think there's some hesitation on Cleveland's part to give up Wiggins for Love because I think Love is hesitating on whether or not he wants to commit to Cleveland beyond this season.

And why should he?

All this talk of the Cavs is making me sick!

Now, hopefully Saunders just keeps Love in Minnesota and we can go after him next year.

I mean sure, if Love did get dealt to Cleveland, he could always opt out of their as well, but I am willing to bet Cleveland won't deal for him unless he commits to staying beyond this season.

You would think if this deal was going to happen, it would've already happened by now.

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 10:54:37 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
isn't it risky for these players that WAIT to sign deals just because they want to help their team with the salary cap. It seems to me the players bear all the risk during this 'waiting' period.