Author Topic: what about a wildcard platform for the 8th spot like mlb?  (Read 1032 times)

what about a wildcard platform for the 8th spot like mlb?
« on: July 19, 2014, 12:01:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
By the end of the regular season Mlb has the 4th and 5th teams from each league having a 1 game playoff game to have to right to make it into the playoffs.

How about if the nba adopted this model?

Reading about silver considering a world cup soccer like tourney mid season (which most players are not going to agree to). Instead these two sudden death games could bring added excitement to the regular season. You will have 5 to 7th teams worrying about dropping to the 8th place while teams in 9th and 11th place turning it on in the 2nd half  hoping to get a chance to play this one game to get a ticket into the playoffs. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:08:31 PM by triboy16f »

Re: what about a wildcard platform like mlb?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
That would make the nba ALOTTTT more fun

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 04:51:09 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The problems with the NBA playoffs is there are too many teams that make the playoffs relative to the number of teams in the league, but 8 teams is too few.  They should keep the current format.  Baseballs's new format is dumb.  They play 162 games to reach the playoffs, playing a one game single elimination may be fun, but it demeans the sport.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 05:49:45 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I don't think it will happen, mainly because more owners want to get playoff revenue.

Having 16 teams in the playoffs for a best of seven series equals more attendance, more concessions, and therefore more money.

It might make a "more exciting" product for the fanbase, but a shorter length of time in the playoffs equals less money for the owners. 

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 06:09:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't think it will happen, mainly because more owners want to get playoff revenue.

Having 16 teams in the playoffs for a best of seven series equals more attendance, more concessions, and therefore more money.

It might make a "more exciting" product for the fanbase, but a shorter length of time in the playoffs equals less money for the owners.

Maybe it wasnt clear but what I meant for was for the 8th spot in each conf. 1 to 7 is locked.

8th and 9th best record go through a 1 game playoff game for the 8th spot.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 10:09:55 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Maybe it wasnt clear but what I meant for was for the 8th spot in each conf. 1 to 7 is locked.

8th and 9th best record go through a 1 game playoff game for the 8th spot.

Gotcha. I think it would make more sense if the 8 seed ever legitimately competed versus the 1 seed.

Like in baseball when the Wild Card often wins the series. Otherwise it's just like watching the opening round of the NCAAs for the 16 spot.

I know there are examples of 8 seeds winning or competing (Atlanta in our Banner year, Dallas against Golden St., Dallas gave a good series this year) but I think the sentiment holds.