Author Topic: Trade Idea for Monroe (DET-BOS) + Future signings (Evan Turner)  (Read 7018 times)

Re: Trade Idea (DET-BOS) + Future signings
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 09:21:23 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Greg Monroe is not a rim protector

This.

I like him but not sure he is the best fit next to Sully and KO.  If anything though another asset we can use later on.

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 09:34:05 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I wish the Wolves would be interested in Monroe or John Smith, then maybe you could work out a 3 team deal with Love coming here.

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 09:48:35 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Greg Monroe is not a rim protector

This.

I like him but not sure he is the best fit next to Sully and KO.  If anything though another asset we can use later on.
agreed.

just because Monroe is a PF that can slide to C doesn't make him a starting-caliber C nor does it mean he's a rim protector.  nice player to have but not one I'd break the bank for

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 10:21:17 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I like the trade from our point of view and would do it in a second. However, Detroit would want more as Bass is an expiring, Bogans will be cut, and the Clippers pick will be little more than a 2nd round pick. The trade is basically Green and cap relief for Monroe. Not enough. They might consider it if you substitute Josh Smith instead but even then they probably would want a little more. A possibility might be to add Young to the deal. Monroe at the 5 and either Sullinger or Olynyk at the 4 is not viable defensively long term as we need a rim defender and would need to move Monroe to the 4. Starting Zeller and Monroe for this year might be something we would consider. Eventually, however, our bigs would need to be reconfigured and maybe Sullinger could be part of a rim defender deal.

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I wish the Wolves would be interested in Monroe or John Smith, then maybe you could work out a 3 team deal with Love coming here.

Who say's they're not. Maybe they haven't talked about it yet, because they've been stuck on Thompson and Now Wiggins.

With the fake twitter rumors about Wiggins, and Thompson being available, and DA talking about getting a third team, this would be a great 3 way trade.

It's hard to tell what Detroit wants, but it looks like they could use a SF pretty bad, and get out of Smiths contract.

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 08:22:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I like the trade from our point of view and would do it in a second. However, Detroit would want more as Bass is an expiring, Bogans will be cut, and the Clippers pick will be little more than a 2nd round pick. The trade is basically Green and cap relief for Monroe. Not enough. They might consider it if you substitute Josh Smith instead but even then they probably would want a little more. A possibility might be to add Young to the deal. Monroe at the 5 and either Sullinger or Olynyk at the 4 is not viable defensively long term as we need a rim defender and would need to move Monroe to the 4. Starting Zeller and Monroe for this year might be something we would consider. Eventually, however, our bigs would need to be reconfigured and maybe Sullinger could be part of a rim defender deal.

The Pistons could re-sign Bass if they like him, a bit cheaper than 6M. I wouldn't be willing to give up Young in this trade. Maybe we could instead, give up Philadelphia's first rounder/two second rounders and not the Clippers pick?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 06:15:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
With Evan Turner signing, looks like the Celtics might trade for Monroe :o ?

Re: Trade Idea for Monroe (DET-BOS) + Future signings (Evan Turner)
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Anyway we can get wiggins, Love, and Monroe? :P

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 06:32:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Anyway we can get wiggins, Love, and Monroe? :P

Lol idk about Love anymore, the possibilities are endless, and I doubt Flip will do a trade involving Love or else he would flip.

Ya, we can get Wiggins. Rondo for Wiggins or Smart, Bass and a pick for Wiggins and maybe another asset.

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Monroe is a Center.  He scores best in the post and defends the post well.  He is not a shot blocker but he is strong and plays solid position and team defense.  Plus he can pass better than most centers.  I think he and sully would play well together. Especially if sully drops the 20 pounds he wants to drop.  His jumper should improve and he also is a good passer.  I like it.  Nice young front court you would have with legit size.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 07:16:52 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
If the pistons were interested in a trade, is Greg Monroe even worth the max for Boston?

We are talking 17 million per year. That would become a contract that would be hard to repackage in another trade. We would be tying our horses to the Rondo, Monroe era.

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 07:28:02 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Someone with a good realistic trade idea.  I must be on another forum

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If the pistons were interested in a trade, is Greg Monroe even worth the max for Boston?

We are talking 17 million per year. That would become a contract that would be hard to repackage in another trade. We would be tying our horses to the Rondo, Monroe era.

The maximum for Monroe as a player with four years of experience is a contract starting at 25% of the cap ($14,746,000).  For a sign-and-trade, he can be given up to four years with 4.5% raises, so he could get a four-year deal worth about $63m.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 07:40:54 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

The maximum for Monroe as a player with four years of experience is a contract starting at 25% of the cap ($14,746,000).  For a sign-and-trade, he can be given up to four years with 4.5% raises, so he could get a four-year deal worth about $63m.

The cap raised to 63 million. That starts his salary around 15.7 million.

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 07:46:10 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Fun fact:

Evan Turner and Greg Monroe are both represented by David Falk.

Additional fun fact:

This agent also represents Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, and for added fun... Roy Hibbert and Austin Rivers.

Ainge has a very good relationship with Falk. Does this mean a trade is happening!!?

nah.

I just think Falk steered Turner here because he thinks this could be a good place for him to grow his game under the Stevens/Ainge leadership.