Author Topic: Rondo and three firsts for Irving.  (Read 2872 times)

Rondo and three firsts for Irving.
« on: July 18, 2014, 06:16:06 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Does Cleveland say no to that? It would be hard to. Lebron is clearly looking for some veteran help and selfishly it would be great for lebron.

Re: Rondo and three firsts for Irving.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:19:14 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
LeBron has reached out to Kevin Love and has publicly stated he's looking forward to bringing Kyrie along.  There are no such reports of LeBron recruiting Rondo. 

LeBron wants specific veteran help and he specifically wants to play with Kyrie.  Cleveland says no.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Kyrie's a good fit for LeBron, because he's an elite shooter.  The ball should flow through the King.  Rondo wouldn't serve much of a purpose there.  He's a liability without the ball.  Bron needs guys around him who can knock down shots.  No point for the Cavs to do this.  Kyrie is younger, arguably better, and certainly a better fit.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 06:26:35 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think three firsts seems like a bit much - I would try to offer just one. Kyrie really isn't better than Rondo.

As for Lebron preferring Irving to Rondo, I don't necessarily think this is true. He has publicly praised Rondo on several occasions. I would think he would be happy with either one.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
If that was in reference to me, I didn't say LeBron preferred Irving to Rondo -- just that he specifically mentioned wanting to play with him in his letter.  We can speculate about how happy he'd be with Rondo, but I'm going to take LeBron at his word when he mentions looking forward to being Kyrie's teammate.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 07:00:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
LeBron wants guys who can spread the floor with their shots.

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 07:08:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Kyrie's a good fit for LeBron, because he's an elite shooter.  The ball should flow through the King.  Rondo wouldn't serve much of a purpose there.  He's a liability without the ball.  Bron needs guys around him who can knock down shots.  No point for the Cavs to do this.  Kyrie is younger, arguably better, and certainly a better fit.

LeBron would score more efficiently with someone like Rondo setting him up for easier shots, plus he'd be more effective in the long run if he didn't have to carry such a load on offense. Extend the career of a well-past-his-prime player, right?

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 07:13:54 PM »

Offline nicknorman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
Ainge would never agree to that. Irving has never even played in a playoff game, let alone won one. Much rather let Rondo walk for nothing than give up 3 firsts on Irving.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 07:33:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If that was in reference to me, I didn't say LeBron preferred Irving to Rondo -- just that he specifically mentioned wanting to play with him in his letter.  We can speculate about how happy he'd be with Rondo, but I'm going to take LeBron at his word when he mentions looking forward to being Kyrie's teammate.

I absolutely think he is genuine in his desire to play with Kyrie, but I also think it would be in bad taste if he said anything differently. With Rondo's praise, he wasn't gaining anything from it, he just had a lot of positive things to say about him. If the Cs had just landed Wiggins and had the cap space (and Lebron was from Boston), I imagine he would have written that he was excited to play with Rondo as well.

Sorry if I am coming off adversarial, I just wanted to point out that the trade probably wouldn't disappoint Lebron too much.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 07:35:05 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 07:35:36 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
RU*(#UYR*FH(*HCDIFJ*#E(RUY*(

that's overkill!!!!

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 07:45:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

LeBron would score more efficiently with someone like Rondo setting him up for easier shots, plus he'd be more effective in the long run if he didn't have to carry such a load on offense. Extend the career of a well-past-his-prime player, right?
I don't agree.   LeBron would be more efficient playing with Kyrie.  It's not like teams would slack off LeBron while Rondo dribbled around the court. There's no element of surprise there... the ball is going to LeBron eventually, because Rondo can't create his own shot and LeBron is a basketball god.    Kyrie is an elite ball-handler, but he's also an elite shooter.  Teams will need to pay attention to him whether or not he has the ball in his hands.  That makes LeBron's job easier since the majority of possessions should flow through the greatest player alive.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:58:46 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 07:51:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Luckily Irving can't be traded until January, so this isn't happening (or obviously not happening) for a while.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 07:59:50 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Does Cleveland say no to that? It would be hard to. Lebron is clearly looking for some veteran help and selfishly it would be great for lebron.

We wouldn't offer that thank goodness

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 08:06:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't agree.   LeBron would be more efficient playing with Kyrie.  It's not like teams would slack off LeBron while Rondo dribbled around the court. There's no element of surprise there... the ball is going to LeBron eventually, because Rondo can't create his own shot.    Kyrie is an elite ball-handler, but he's also an elite shooter.  Teams will need to pay attention to him whether or not he has the ball in his hands.  That makes LeBron's job easier since the majority of possessions should flow through the greatest player alive.

The ball wouldn't go to LeBron every time with Rondo playing, he's much smarter than that. If people stay with LeBron when Rondo has the ball he]ll draw defenders with his penetration and he'll find someone for a wide open jumper/layup. It would look like the shooting you see at half time. Plus LeBron would probably set the all-time record for alley-oops. He'd score more efficiently while expending significantly less effort on offense. Win-win.