Author Topic: This whiny self entitled fan base is starting to tick me off  (Read 21500 times)

Re: This whiny self entitled fan base is starting to tick me off
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2014, 09:13:06 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Still don't know why we traded Rodney Rogers.....that guy was a STUD.

Think he left as a free agent.  I don't miss the Gaston Jr. days.

You're right, good catch.

That guy went on to have a few productive seasons after that...seemed to be a good guy and hard worker, too - with no problems coming off the bench. I remember him playing well for us right after he was traded for Joe Johnson and we made our post-season push that year.

We had some memorable years back then - even if our team wasn't contenders.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but, since I wasn't watching the Celtics at the time, could I make a thread concerning Joe Johnson, our 'management,' and the team that year, just so that the older and wiser fans like you could explain exactly went down in those days?
Basically, Pitino was one of those college coaches who knew nothing about the NBA, so he ran our team the way he ran his [successful] college teams.

It came down to him having no patience with players, even if they were lottery picks.  In college you only have a guy for a max of 4 years and the team is constantly changing, so there really isn't time to screw around and have patience or to build a foundation.  Instead of waiting for the good players he had to develop, he traded them in an attempt to rush to the top.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2014, 10:35:35 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Homers who can't take criticism of their team are every bit as obnoxious as those who can never find the positives.

I do agree with the statement, but around here this summer people get accused of being blind homers for just being realistic.

What realism are you talking about?

Being ok with not signing any big name free agents because we have no cap space.

Moving on from the Kevin Love fantasy bc it became clear Minnesota didnt like what we had to offer

Not storming the garden with torches and pitchforks because we dont like the first out of 9 draft picks we have over the next few years

....and this is my favorite...not really caring that we won a couple of games towards the end of the year last year because ITS NOT LIKE THE WORST TEAM ACTUALLY WON THE LOTTERY!!! 

The fact that Danny Ainge has never had capspace to sign a big name free agent doesnt seem to satisfy people who think Danny will never bring a highly sought after FA to Boston......even though he already has.

Summer league.

I've seen a lot more of the homers pounding those who dare to disagree than the reverse, but I haven't been reading every thread, so you may be right that it's gone more back and forth than it's seemed to me.  Now, to that list:

Losing more games would have been a big deal.  Being tied with Utah led to losing the coin toss and picking 6 instead of 5.  Calling someone out for that makes a lot of sense.

Also, Smart has definite bust/disappointment potential, was a pick at a position of (current) non-need, and was taken ahead of Randle.  Any of those reasons would make it perfectly reasonable for people not to be happy with the Smart pick.

I'm with you on free agents, in that they weren't going to get any of the higher profile guys.  But the money excuse is a garbage excuse.  Just ask Cleveland.

Lastly, I would hope that Ainge hasn't yet moved on from the Love deal, and I can't think of any reason for someone to 'move on' form it at this point.  He's likely a very distant 3rd in that derby, but trades sometimes collapse.

I think it's reasonable to question most of the positions you stated, but only the "Ainge - money" and the "not caring about the losses" are really obvious bad calls, IMO.

Theres no problem with disagreeing with what I wrote.  The problem is disagreeing and being completely unreasonable about it.  To the point youve made, yeah Im sure theres folks on here who are being the blind homers and being just as obnoxious, I'm not disputing that, I'm just saying that lately theres been too many unrealistic, knee jerk reactions to what this team is doing and where they should be at right now.

Theres no problem with disagreeing what what I wrote, or providing a counterpoint to it.  Thats the whole reason we're here.  You were being very reasonable in your responses though thats the difference.
Greg

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Yea, I'm annoyed by insecure people who get super defensive if you even dare to suggest we should trade Rondo, too.

Huh?

You know..the funny thing with Rondo is - compared to the supposed Top PGs (CP3, RW, Lilliard)....is there REALLY any difference?

CP3 is great player and all that - but isn't it time to scrutinize him a bit more?

The man has had David West..Tyson Chandler...Blake Griffin....Got Doc Rivers handed to him.....he's had ALL these players in their primes...now has one of the best Coaches in the game in Doc...still hasn't reached the WCF much less the NBA Finals.

I saw one small article after the Clips got eliminated by OKC back in May on ESPN that started to question CP3's legacy after that...

I'll give CP3 a small pass after the DTS debacle, but pretty soon the rubber has to meet the road....

All things considered - I'm glad we have Rondo...and I hope Danny keeps him and builds around him - like he did with Pierce.

I absolutely agree that it is time to scrutinize Chris Paul and his ability to lead a team deep into the playoffs. He has been in the NBA for 9 seasons, has put up excellent numbers, and age 29, injuries are pushing him out of his prime a little early. He isn't dominant enough to carry a team like the prime point guards of the past like Gary Payton, Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas, John Stockton, Jason Kidd, and Allen Iverson. Those were the best 6 i ever saw.

Paul is still arguably the number 1 point guard today, but it is really close between the top 5 guys, and then the next 5-8 guys still belong in the all star conversation. This season we will see if Rondo can return to the top tier or at least firmly settle into the second one.

I think the Donald Stern thing does give Paul a pass this season to some degree. The pressure is on big time next season. That might be their best chance with this core.

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Still don't know why we traded Rodney Rogers.....that guy was a STUD.

Think he left as a free agent.  I don't miss the Gaston Jr. days.

You're right, good catch.

That guy went on to have a few productive seasons after that...seemed to be a good guy and hard worker, too - with no problems coming off the bench. I remember him playing well for us right after he was traded for Joe Johnson and we made our post-season push that year.

We had some memorable years back then - even if our team wasn't contenders.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but, since I wasn't watching the Celtics at the time, could I make a thread concerning Joe Johnson, our 'management,' and the team that year, just so that the older and wiser fans like you could explain exactly went down in those days?

Long story short: Rick Pitino is a bad person who does bad things.

From all accounts I've read he's a good person.

...who does bad things,

« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2014, 12:13:37 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
We're starting to sound like a bunch of Yankee or Laker fans nowadays days. Crying about not getting Love, whining about Bradley's contract, just negative negative negative. "Wahhhh this team doesn't have established players" Is this the same fan-base that was torn over giving Big Al up for KG? We won't know what we have here for years, and these fallacies that you can't build a championship team without LeBron James or Love need to be squashed. 3 of the 4 teams that just battled it out for their respective conference built their teams through the draft, and one of those teams didn't even have a top ten pick! The eventual champion didn't have a top ten pick under 35 years old! End rant.

Spurs have a great system in place. Have had that system in place for sometime. We don't. We change every 5 years. Mostly because the NBA had changed. Most teams have superior elite athletes OR great systems in place. We legit have neither and that's why we need a superstar. It changes culture and our team is way too young and inexperienced at the skill positions and even coaching to let this "ride out"
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2014, 12:16:14 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The constant whining about the whiny self entitled fan base is starting to tick me off

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2014, 10:41:57 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Yea, I'm annoyed by insecure people who get super defensive if you even dare to suggest we should trade Rondo, too.

Huh?

You know..the funny thing with Rondo is - compared to the supposed Top PGs (CP3, RW, Lilliard)....is there REALLY any difference?

CP3 is great player and all that - but isn't it time to scrutinize him a bit more?

The man has had David West..Tyson Chandler...Blake Griffin....Got Doc Rivers handed to him.....he's had ALL these players in their primes...now has one of the best Coaches in the game in Doc...still hasn't reached the WCF much less the NBA Finals.

I saw one small article after the Clips got eliminated by OKC back in May on ESPN that started to question CP3's legacy after that...

I'll give CP3 a small pass after the DTS debacle, but pretty soon the rubber has to meet the road....

All things considered - I'm glad we have Rondo...and I hope Danny keeps him and builds around him - like he did with Pierce.

I absolutely agree that it is time to scrutinize Chris Paul and his ability to lead a team deep into the playoffs. He has been in the NBA for 9 seasons, has put up excellent numbers, and age 29, injuries are pushing him out of his prime a little early. He isn't dominant enough to carry a team like the prime point guards of the past like Gary Payton, Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas, John Stockton, Jason Kidd, and Allen Iverson. Those were the best 6 i ever saw.

Paul is still arguably the number 1 point guard today, but it is really close between the top 5 guys, and then the next 5-8 guys still belong in the all star conversation. This season we will see if Rondo can return to the top tier or at least firmly settle into the second one.

I think the Donald Stern thing does give Paul a pass this season to some degree. The pressure is on big time next season. That might be their best chance with this core.

Wow, like the product of a union between Donald Sterling and David Stern?  That would be the most despicable thing ever created... ;D

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2014, 10:56:36 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The constant whining about the whiny self entitled fan base is starting to tick me off

The whining about the constant whining about the whiny self entitled is driving me to drink....

So thanks! ;)

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2014, 11:21:52 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Huh?

I concur.  The thing that I couldn't stand about Chris Paul, aside from the fact that he's a dirty player, after watching the clippers in the postseason, is his blatant attempts to draw fouls on horrible shots at the worst possible times.  They had game 5 won, and he tried one of the most mind-numbing moves I've ever seen, and in the presence of Russell Westbrook, no less, especially in the waning moments of a critical postseason contest.  All he had to do was hold onto the ball and make his free throws, and he couldn't even do the former, haha.  What a moron.  I wonder how much doc missed Rondo at that moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT55zpjT0v4 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:30:17 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2014, 11:29:46 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Huh?

Wow, like the product of a union between Donald Sterling and David Stern?  That would be the most despicable thing ever created... ;D

TP. Freudian slip there? That would be a scary 2 headed beastie.

« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2014, 11:54:07 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Not that I'm particularly compelled one way or another on this issue, but I don't see the point in being upset with people seeing what is a very bad Celtics basketball team (and it is a very bad basketball team) and wanting it to be like the very good Celtics basketball teams of the last seven years or so.

Yeah, but all this complaining is starting to get old. To the point where people irrationally blaming Danny for all this "mess".
There's nothing to blame Danny for.  We went through this from 2003-2007 and we're going through it again.  If we get really lucky, he'll be able to put a relevant team out there in a shorter period of time, but it's more likely this is going to take a half decade.

It was longer than that. Two decades of being bad to mediocre.

You forgot to discount Pitino and Wallace were involved in the 90's. ruining everything the Cs had prior to their coming.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2014, 12:50:02 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
Well for us folks who were part of the internet sports culture from from 1997-2007, it's old hat.  We're use to rooting for an irrelevant dumpy franchise with mediocre young prospects and no hope of contending. 

For folks who jumped on the bandwagon in 2007 and rode the high of our micro-dynasty for 3.5 years (followed by the extended victory lap that took place until 2013),  they seem to think the Celtics should be able to snap their fingers and be important again.  It's not happening.  This is going to take several years.  Strap in and enjoy the process.  It was kinda fun rooting for the likes of Delonte West and Tony Allen... irrationally hoping that Gerald Green could become a franchise player...  And it'll be fun rooting for the likes of Marcus Banks and Kelly Olynyk... irrationally hoping that James  Young can be a franchise player.   We might stumble into something eventually. 

Right now there's still some denial.  People think that since Ainge was able to build a contender in 5 years, he should be able to do it in 1.5 the second time around.  They forget how much toiling away in asset-acquisition mode that Celtics had to do until the stars aligned in 2007.

Eh, I guess it's probably better to look at this situation in a glass half empty type of way, but I can't. This is pretty different than 2003 to me because Ainge walked into a pretty bad situation back then. He had no young talent whatsoever other than Pierce (who is a much better piece than anything we have now honestly), but he had to start from ground zero everywhere else (cap flexibility and assets). This isn't going to take four or five years to turn over again because Ainge is in a much better starting position. There's a reason we were in a position to trade for Love at all so shortly after ending the PP era. We are much closer to 2006, 2007 level of assets than we are 2003. Semantics maybe, but I think it matters. It shouldn't take years this time unless front offices aren't buying (already struck out on Love, and Flip may get lucky for it because of the Lebron decision).

« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2014, 12:52:59 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Wow this thread has literally no information, I think if you create a thread there should be some kind of analysis or something, its gonna be a long season of bad/useless threads like this one.

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »

Online cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
Ainge has been planning for 2015 the whole time, collecting assets, clearing salary so that we can create some real "fireworks" next summer....the Love situation just happened to come up now and its dannys job to try and get some work there. and, technically until he's on a different team ainge is going to have his hands in that pot

theres potential to be alot of solid free agents in 2015-16 off-season.

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Ainge has been planning for 2015 the whole time, collecting assets, clearing salary so that we can create some real "fireworks" next summer....the Love situation just happened to come up now and its dannys job to try and get some work there. and, technically until he's on a different team ainge is going to have his hands in that pot

theres potential to be alot of solid free agents in 2015-16 off-season.

idk if that is his real plan, but 2015 has a TON of tier 1 and tier 2 stars! it does seem that his gutting of the roster is setting up for some sort of signing or big trade...

whatever it is, I'll be patient and wait it out