Author Topic: This whiny self entitled fan base is starting to tick me off  (Read 21489 times)

Re: This whiny self entitled fan base is starting to tick me off
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
In the best of times and in the worst of times, you should always be proud and support your team. Nobody likes rebuilding but it makes it thaaaaaat much sweeter when the team finally gets back to contention.

I was born in '88. I legitimately grew up in the Celtics Dark Ages. The '07-'13 teams were my equivalent of basketball nirvana. It stinks to be bad again but NBA relevancy is fleeting for most teams. You're good for a few years (maybe a decade if you land the right guy) and you're rebuilding in the others. It's a process and you hAve to accept it for what it is.

Support the team. More importantly, support the young players who are trying to bring this franchise back. We'll get back there again. And it'll feel sooooo good when we do.

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2014, 09:40:59 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
We're starting to sound like a bunch of Yankee or Laker fans nowadays days. Crying about not getting Love, whining about Bradley's contract, just negative negative negative. "Wahhhh this team doesn't have established players" Is this the same fan-base that was torn over giving Big Al up for KG? We won't know what we have here for years, and these fallacies that you can't build a championship team without LeBron James or Love need to be squashed. 3 of the 4 teams that just battled it out for their respective conference built their teams through the draft, and one of those teams didn't even have a top ten pick! The eventual champion didn't have a top ten pick under 35 years old! End rant.

Another TP for this thread. It's true. The complaints around here sound like the stuff i hear from Laker fans on local radio in LA, or from Yankee fans on national radio.

With winning comes the belief in being entitled to more winning.

Rooting for a loser isn't fun. But i like were this team is slowly going. This feels light years better than the Thanksdad Gaston, ML Carr and Pitino eras.

As an aside, can you imagine what Boston sports radio will be like in the post-Belichik, post-Brady era? It won't be fun.

I remember Boston sports radio before Brady and Belichik. It was better.

I actually really like Felger and Mazz and the Adam Jones show. Its pretty entertaining stuff, which is what I want on the radio. I'd prefer to keep the serious discussion on forums like this.

That's cool for you. If I want to watch monkeys fling excrement at each other and anyone within range, I usually go to the zoo.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2014, 10:55:41 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

I said it before, but rooting for a loser is more entertaining than rooting for a winner.

On the surface, that comment seems completely asinine, but it's true if you're measuring it in terms of bulk hourly entertainment.

Safe to say that most of the folks here are fanatical sports fans deeply embedded in internet sports culture.  We're a cult of sports nerds.   We're knee-deep in a dismal offseason and yet this form is alive and kicking.  There's at least 3 trade idea threads.  At least 3 threads dedicated to complaining about the team.  At least 3 threads dedicated to over-praising our young assets.    This forum is red-hot, baby.   You got your endless circle arguments going in a forum thread open in one tab, you got your trade machine cranking out in another tab, you got woj's twitter feed on constant refresh in another tab... you're hopping back and forth between RealGM, Shamesports, Hoopshype, the NBA subreddit,  the NBA Summer League page, and digging through the dredges of dumpy twitter profiles looking for juicy rumors you can latch onto.   Look at us in this ridiculous thread... wasting our precious summer debating the merits of whining about the team.   

Are you not entertained?   Hours upon hours dedicated to our geeky celtic obsession.  This guy should be traded.  This guy stinks.  This guy is the future.  This is a trade that could fix us.  HOw many threads will we see this year arguing that the 15th man on our roster could be a starter if just given an opportunity?  Shoot...we might even end up watching a D-League game this year.   Rooting for a loser provides all sorts of fun possibilities.   And yes, you'll painstakingly sit through a handful of hours each week dedicated to actually watching the garbage basketball product being trotted out this year with the Celtic brand attached... that's not going to be a lot of fun, but as soon as it's over you'll be right back on your favorite sites speculating for hours with your internet friends about how to fix this trainwreck.   

The per-hour entertainment is off the charts when your franchise is in the dumps.  Sure as heck beats actually spending your work week doing work.  Rooting for bums is the gift that keeps on giving.

On the flip side, when the team is winning... for a few brief hours every week, you'll get to blissfully watch the artistry of your glorious team in action... it's wonderful and rewarding.  And as soon as it's over, it's over.   There's nothing to talk about.  Guy 1:  "Hey we're pretty good this year."   Guy 2:  "yeah... I agree".   Guy 1:  "...  yeah... so... did you watch Game of Thrones this week?"... BoOOooring.   There's nothing to complain about.  Nothing to debate.  Your trade machine will just sit there collecting dust.  In 2008, this forum was a mere shadow of it's former glorious self.  The only interesting thread was from a guy who claimed Kendrick Perkins was a better fit for our team than Hakeem in his prime.  Beyond that, it was a ghost town.   I think Jeff even admitted it at one point that the traffic to the site plummeted.    Suddenly, your bulk hourly entertainment ratio drops significantly and you have to find something else to do with your time... like kayak or drink alcohol.  Boo.   

So gear up and brace yourself for a wildly entertaining 31 win season full of daily "Trade Rondo!"/"Fire Ainge!"/"Give J-Young Minutes!" threads.  Let's make the most of it.

Post of the year right there.   TP, LarBrd33.   
Keep on keepin on

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2014, 11:08:50 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Well for us folks who were part of the internet sports culture from from 1997-2007, it's old hat.  We're use to rooting for an irrelevant dumpy franchise with mediocre young prospects and no hope of contending. 

For folks who jumped on the bandwagon in 2007 and rode the high of our micro-dynasty for 3.5 years (followed by the extended victory lap that took place until 2013),  they seem to think the Celtics should be able to snap their fingers and be important again.  It's not happening.  This is going to take several years.  Strap in and enjoy the process.  It was kinda fun rooting for the likes of Delonte West and Tony Allen... irrationally hoping that Gerald Green could become a franchise player...  And it'll be fun rooting for the likes of Marcus Banks and Kelly Olynyk... irrationally hoping that James  Young can be a franchise player.   We might stumble into something eventually. 

Right now there's still some denial.  People think that since Ainge was able to build a contender in 5 years, he should be able to do it in 1.5 the second time around.  They forget how much toiling away in asset-acquisition mode that Celtics had to do until the stars aligned in 2007.

Bolded for emphasis that I totally agree with and support.

Winning it all is more special when you have been at the bottom before...sometimes for a long time.  You know the frustrations, feel the emotions of close losses, always searching for "the" trade that will return you to the top once again.

Lack of patience is responsible for a lot of the ills we see in the world nowadays.  It's a byproduct of our "get it now" mentality because of our technological advances.  Reality has a way of kicking us in the crotch and slowing us down however.  So all those who think the world is ending because we're not going to see Love in green or that Rondo may not be wearing it much longer, take a deep breath and relax.  The destination is rarely as impressive as the journey it takes to reach it. 

Our team is on the court...whoever they are.

Rak

I said it before, but rooting for a loser is more entertaining than rooting for a winner.

On the surface, that comment seems completely asinine, but it's true if you're measuring it in terms of bulk hourly entertainment.

Safe to say that most of the folks here are fanatical sports fans deeply embedded in internet sports culture.  We're a cult of sports nerds.   We're knee-deep in a dismal offseason and yet this form is alive and kicking.  There's at least 3 trade idea threads.  At least 3 threads dedicated to complaining about the team.  At least 3 threads dedicated to over-praising our young assets.    This forum is red-hot, baby.   You got your endless circle arguments going in a forum thread open in one tab, you got your trade machine cranking out in another tab, you got woj's twitter feed on constant refresh in another tab... you're hopping back and forth between RealGM, Shamesports, Hoopshype, the NBA subreddit,  the NBA Summer League page, and digging through the dredges of dumpy twitter profiles looking for juicy rumors you can latch onto.   Look at us in this ridiculous thread... wasting our precious summer debating the merits of whining about the team.   

Are you not entertained?   Hours upon hours dedicated to our geeky celtic obsession.  This guy should be traded.  This guy stinks.  This guy is the future.  This is a trade that could fix us.  HOw many threads will we see this year arguing that the 15th man on our roster could be a starter if just given an opportunity?  Shoot...we might even end up watching a D-League game this year.   Rooting for a loser provides all sorts of fun possibilities.   And yes, you'll painstakingly sit through a handful of hours each week dedicated to actually watching the garbage basketball product being trotted out this year with the Celtic brand attached... that's not going to be a lot of fun, but as soon as it's over you'll be right back on your favorite sites speculating for hours with your internet friends about how to fix this trainwreck.   

The per-hour entertainment is off the charts when your franchise is in the dumps.  Sure as heck beats actually spending your work week doing work.  Rooting for bums is the gift that keeps on giving.

On the flip side, when the team is winning... for a few brief hours every week, you'll get to blissfully watch the artistry of your glorious team in action... it's wonderful and rewarding.  And as soon as it's over, it's over.   There's nothing to talk about.  Guy 1:  "Hey we're pretty good this year."   Guy 2:  "yeah... I agree".   Guy 1:  "...  yeah... so... did you watch Game of Thrones this week?"... BoOOooring.   There's nothing to complain about.  Nothing to debate.  Your trade machine will just sit there collecting dust.  In 2008, this forum was a mere shadow of it's former glorious self.  The only interesting thread was from a guy who claimed Kendrick Perkins was a better fit for our team than Hakeem in his prime.  Beyond that, it was a ghost town.   I think Jeff even admitted it at one point that the traffic to the site plummeted.    Suddenly, your bulk hourly entertainment ratio drops significantly and you have to find something else to do with your time... like kayak or drink alcohol.  Boo.   

So gear up and brace yourself for a wildly entertaining 31 win season full of daily "Trade Rondo!"/"Fire Ainge!"/"Give J-Young Minutes!" threads.  Let's make the most of it.
Now go pick a fight with BBallTim about Rondo as par for the course ;D
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2014, 11:18:33 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Homers who can't take criticism of their team are every bit as obnoxious as those who can never find the positives.

I do agree with the statement, but around here this summer people get accused of being blind homers for just being realistic.

Greg

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2014, 11:28:44 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
This is the same fan base that shredded DA for getting rid of Antoine Walker, don't forget.

I don't mean to be the one to stand up for Antoine, but Raef was on a five year deal on what was essentially a max contract back then coming off major knee surgery. It was a huge mid-step by Ainge would could have just dumped Antoine for an expiring if that was his intention.

Also, Antoine was the leader during the only exciting time in a 15-17 year period. You may not have liked his game, but he did good things for the Cs during an otherwise underwhelming time.

Antoine was the leader during this only exciting time, but he was a majorly flawed player, and like Danny said when he first became the GM here, this Celtics team had reached their ceiling and were not going to win a title.  Yeah we can enjoy the playoff berths and some excitement, but at the end of the day this is the Boston Celtics, we're here to win NBA championships.  Antoine had to go, itd be impossible to get to the next level with his style of play at the salary he was making.

So getting back to your point.  Yes, the trade wasnt the greatest in the world and you can find plenty of negatives about it, but I LOVE the idea of the trade, and its what makes Danny a championship GM.  SO many GMs in the league would have rode that Antoine and Paul team right into the ground until it was time to rebuild again....and keep in mind contracts and players acquired in the Antoine trade were used to acquire KG and Ray Allen.
Greg

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2014, 11:41:53 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Homers who can't take criticism of their team are every bit as obnoxious as those who can never find the positives.

I do agree with the statement, but around here this summer people get accused of being blind homers for just being realistic.

What realism are you talking about?

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2014, 11:49:08 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Not that I'm particularly compelled one way or another on this issue, but I don't see the point in being upset with people seeing what is a very bad Celtics basketball team (and it is a very bad basketball team) and wanting it to be like the very good Celtics basketball teams of the last seven years or so.
There is nothing wrong with wanting that team, but it some people get indignant when this is not the case.

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2014, 11:57:04 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

Being ok with not signing any big name free agents because we have no cap space.

Moving on from the Kevin Love fantasy bc it became clear Minnesota didnt like what we had to offer

Not storming the garden with torches and pitchforks because we dont like the first out of 9 draft picks we have over the next few years

....and this is my favorite...not really caring that we won a couple of games towards the end of the year last year because ITS NOT LIKE THE WORST TEAM ACTUALLY WON THE LOTTERY!!! 

The fact that Danny Ainge has never had capspace to sign a big name free agent doesnt seem to satisfy people who think Danny will never bring a highly sought after FA to Boston......even though he already has.

Summer league.
Greg

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2014, 12:03:35 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Not that I'm particularly compelled one way or another on this issue, but I don't see the point in being upset with people seeing what is a very bad Celtics basketball team (and it is a very bad basketball team) and wanting it to be like the very good Celtics basketball teams of the last seven years or so.
There is nothing wrong with wanting that team, but it some people get indignant when this is not the case.

And indignant about aspects they completely don't understand or care to make the effort to even understand them, or lack of awareness of what the team can and can't control.

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2014, 12:43:37 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Still don't know why we traded Rodney Rogers.....that guy was a STUD.

Think he left as a free agent.  I don't miss the Gaston Jr. days.

You're right, good catch.

That guy went on to have a few productive seasons after that...seemed to be a good guy and hard worker, too - with no problems coming off the bench. I remember him playing well for us right after he was traded for Joe Johnson and we made our post-season push that year.

We had some memorable years back then - even if our team wasn't contenders.

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2014, 12:51:08 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

That guy went on to have a few productive seasons after that...seemed to be a good guy and hard worker, too - with no problems coming off the bench. I remember him playing well for us right after he was traded for Joe Johnson and we made our post-season push that year.

Poor Rodney Rogers.  The poor guy is paralyzed from the shoulders down bc of a dirt bike accident back in like 2008.  The great thing about Rodney is that I read after he retired from basketball he went to work as a truck driver or some kind of equipment operator at a company that he owned.  This was a guy that was set for life financially and was apparently waking up at 4am every day and going to work.  The kicker is that all of guys working with him and for him apparently had no idea who he was and how rich he was until some of the publicity that his dirt bike accident got.
Greg

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2014, 01:08:06 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Poor Rodney Rogers.  The poor guy is paralyzed from the shoulders down bc of a dirt bike accident back in like 2008.  The great thing about Rodney is that I read after he retired from basketball he went to work as a truck driver or some kind of equipment operator at a company that he owned.  This was a guy that was set for life financially and was apparently waking up at 4am every day and going to work.  The kicker is that all of guys working with him and for him apparently had no idea who he was and how rich he was until some of the publicity that his dirt bike accident got.

Wow.  That's a great story of humility.  I wish the world had more people like that.  TP.

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2014, 01:09:50 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

Being ok with not signing any big name free agents because we have no cap space.

Moving on from the Kevin Love fantasy bc it became clear Minnesota didnt like what we had to offer

Not storming the garden with torches and pitchforks because we dont like the first out of 9 draft picks we have over the next few years

....and this is my favorite...not really caring that we won a couple of games towards the end of the year last year because ITS NOT LIKE THE WORST TEAM ACTUALLY WON THE LOTTERY!!! 

The fact that Danny Ainge has never had capspace to sign a big name free agent doesnt seem to satisfy people who think Danny will never bring a highly sought after FA to Boston......even though he already has.

Summer league.

I've seen a lot more of the homers pounding those who dare to disagree than the reverse, but I haven't been reading every thread, so you may be right that it's gone more back and forth than it's seemed to me.  Now, to that list:

Losing more games would have been a big deal.  Being tied with Utah led to losing the coin toss and picking 6 instead of 5.  Calling someone out for that makes a lot of sense.

Also, Smart has definite bust/disappointment potential, was a pick at a position of (current) non-need, and was taken ahead of Randle.  Any of those reasons would make it perfectly reasonable for people not to be happy with the Smart pick.

I'm with you on free agents, in that they weren't going to get any of the higher profile guys.  But the money excuse is a garbage excuse.  Just ask Cleveland.

Lastly, I would hope that Ainge hasn't yet moved on from the Love deal, and I can't think of any reason for someone to 'move on' form it at this point.  He's likely a very distant 3rd in that derby, but trades sometimes collapse.

I think it's reasonable to question most of the positions you stated, but only the "Ainge - money" and the "not caring about the losses" are really obvious bad calls, IMO.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2014, 01:14:48 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but, since I wasn't watching the Celtics at the time, could I make a thread concerning Joe Johnson, our 'management,' and the team that year, just so that the older and wiser fans like you could explain exactly went down in those days?