Author Topic: This whiny self entitled fan base is starting to tick me off  (Read 21503 times)

Re: This whiny self entitled fan base is starting to tick me off
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We got nowhere to go but up.   It is time for the diehards to take the fore and the fairweather to flee.  You really have to be a fan to watch a team bottoming out and tanking up.    I never thought that Love was coming here and thought he was using us the whole time.  After we got the sixth pick my expectations of DA pulling off a fast rebuild were gone.   A 6 is not a 1 in terms of delivering assets.

Haters are going to hate and whinners are going to whine regardless though.

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 07:00:10 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
Paul Pierce is not walking through that door, fans. Kevin Garnett is not walking through that door, and Ray Allen is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through that door, they're going to be gray and old.

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 07:01:05 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
I have no problem waiting if it means before the season starts or if its a deadline trade or 2015 free agent pickups.

My thing that bothers me is trading rondo i don't want to trade him, but i understand if were going to lose him to FA next year, then i would hope we get some something nice in return.

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 07:01:41 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
This is the same fan base that shredded DA for getting rid of Antoine Walker, don't forget.

Danny has made some bad moves, some bad signings, and some bad draft picks.  Fortunately for all of us, those bad decisions are well in the minority and he has made some solid moves and some great trades/draft picks.

I really like the last 3 drafts.  Sullinger, Olynyk, Smart...I will absolutely take that from where we were drafting.  We have a bunch of players 23 years old or less who could be impact players.

I really like our head coach.

We have a top-5 or top-7 backcourt with Rondo and Bradley (assuming health).

Honestly, given where we were - you can't be anything  BUT positive about the situation now.  It might now work out, but this is about as good as it could have been save for winning the lottery.

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 07:21:32 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
We're starting to sound like a bunch of Yankee or Laker fans nowadays days. Crying about not getting Love, whining about Bradley's contract, just negative negative negative. "Wahhhh this team doesn't have established players" Is this the same fan-base that was torn over giving Big Al up for KG? We won't know what we have here for years, and these fallacies that you can't build a championship team without LeBron James or Love need to be squashed. 3 of the 4 teams that just battled it out for their respective conference built their teams through the draft, and one of those teams didn't even have a top ten pick! The eventual champion didn't have a top ten pick under 35 years old! End rant.

TP. You beat me to it. I've been to busy yelling at the whinny crowd to start a thread like this. Thank you for doing so.

Part of the problem is just society wanting everything NOW! And not having to pay your dues. People under 28 at work want raises and don't think they have to work to earn their paycheck, and complain when they don't get the hours they want, when they want it, and as many as they wanted. But then have other things to do when they get called in.

Same thing is happening here.

DA's fault because we didn't trade all our good assets to tank harder to only be beat out by a team that won 10 more game than us.

DA's fault that we didn't trade our TE for a over payed Asik when he couldn't use it, and then decided to get a 24 year old less than 2 million dollar center that puts up similar numbers,(yes he's not a rim protector, I get it) and helps Cleveland get Lebron that hurts our chances at Love. Like no other team was going to pull that trigger, and we would still loose out on Love.

DA can't draft. Yeah because picking in the 20's your always going to hit the mark and never miss out. Funny thing is all the other teams before us missed out too. Go yell at them for a while.

Stevens hurt our team by winning too many games and we lost out on the #5. Yeah because when Utah announced their pick they were excited and was fist pumping that we missed out on Exum and had to settle with Smart.

You know what I saw last year. Was not the best players playing some really good basketball. How many blow outs did we loose last year. Not as many as we should have. I love Stevens style of play.

I can't wait to see Smart and Young play. I'm hoping that AB can stay healthy. I love the Zeller pick up, he's going to beat some of the wing players up the floor in breaks, which should be fun.

Now if this goes on for more than 5 years, then I'd start being upset about it. But geez, it's one year into the rebuild and look at what we have.

And then look at what LA has. They couldn't even land Melo. They are in huge trouble unless they get luck int he draft.

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 07:22:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well for us folks who were part of the internet sports culture from from 1997-2007, it's old hat.  We're use to rooting for an irrelevant dumpy franchise with mediocre young prospects and no hope of contending. 

For folks who jumped on the bandwagon in 2007 and rode the high of our micro-dynasty for 3.5 years (followed by the extended victory lap that took place until 2013),  they seem to think the Celtics should be able to snap their fingers and be important again.  It's not happening.  This is going to take several years.  Strap in and enjoy the process.  It was kinda fun rooting for the likes of Delonte West and Tony Allen... irrationally hoping that Gerald Green could become a franchise player...  And it'll be fun rooting for the likes of Marcus Banks and Kelly Olynyk... irrationally hoping that James  Young can be a franchise player.   We might stumble into something eventually. 

Right now there's still some denial.  People think that since Ainge was able to build a contender in 5 years, he should be able to do it in 1.5 the second time around.  They forget how much toiling away in asset-acquisition mode that Celtics had to do until the stars aligned in 2007.

Bolded for emphasis that I totally agree with and support.

Winning it all is more special when you have been at the bottom before...sometimes for a long time.  You know the frustrations, feel the emotions of close losses, always searching for "the" trade that will return you to the top once again.

Lack of patience is responsible for a lot of the ills we see in the world nowadays.  It's a byproduct of our "get it now" mentality because of our technological advances.  Reality has a way of kicking us in the crotch and slowing us down however.  So all those who think the world is ending because we're not going to see Love in green or that Rondo may not be wearing it much longer, take a deep breath and relax.  The destination is rarely as impressive as the journey it takes to reach it. 

Our team is on the court...whoever they are.

Rak

I said it before, but rooting for a loser is more entertaining than rooting for a winner.

On the surface, that comment seems completely asinine, but it's true if you're measuring it in terms of bulk hourly entertainment.

Safe to say that most of the folks here are fanatical sports fans deeply embedded in internet sports culture.  We're a cult of sports nerds.   We're knee-deep in a dismal offseason and yet this form is alive and kicking.  There's at least 3 trade idea threads.  At least 3 threads dedicated to complaining about the team.  At least 3 threads dedicated to over-praising our young assets.    This forum is red-hot, baby.   You got your endless circle arguments going in a forum thread open in one tab, you got your trade machine cranking out in another tab, you got woj's twitter feed on constant refresh in another tab... you're hopping back and forth between RealGM, Shamesports, Hoopshype, the NBA subreddit,  the NBA Summer League page, and digging through the dredges of dumpy twitter profiles looking for juicy rumors you can latch onto.   Look at us in this ridiculous thread... wasting our precious summer debating the merits of whining about the team.   

Are you not entertained?   Hours upon hours dedicated to our geeky celtic obsession.  This guy should be traded.  This guy stinks.  This guy is the future.  This is a trade that could fix us.  HOw many threads will we see this year arguing that the 15th man on our roster could be a starter if just given an opportunity?  Shoot...we might even end up watching a D-League game this year.   Rooting for a loser provides all sorts of fun possibilities.   And yes, you'll painstakingly sit through a handful of hours each week dedicated to actually watching the garbage basketball product being trotted out this year with the Celtic brand attached... that's not going to be a lot of fun, but as soon as it's over you'll be right back on your favorite sites speculating for hours with your internet friends about how to fix this trainwreck.   

The per-hour entertainment is off the charts when your franchise is in the dumps.  Sure as heck beats actually spending your work week doing work.  Rooting for bums is the gift that keeps on giving.

On the flip side, when the team is winning... for a few brief hours every week, you'll get to blissfully watch the artistry of your glorious team in action... it's wonderful and rewarding.  And as soon as it's over, it's over.   There's nothing to talk about.  Guy 1:  "Hey we're pretty good this year."   Guy 2:  "yeah... I agree".   Guy 1:  "...  yeah... so... did you watch Game of Thrones this week?"... BoOOooring.   There's nothing to complain about.  Nothing to debate.  Your trade machine will just sit there collecting dust.  In 2008, this forum was a mere shadow of it's former glorious self.  The only interesting thread was from a guy who claimed Kendrick Perkins was a better fit for our team than Hakeem in his prime.  Beyond that, it was a ghost town.   I think Jeff even admitted it at one point that the traffic to the site plummeted.    Suddenly, your bulk hourly entertainment ratio drops significantly and you have to find something else to do with your time... like kayak or drink alcohol.  Boo.   

So gear up and brace yourself for a wildly entertaining 31 win season full of daily "Trade Rondo!"/"Fire Ainge!"/"Give J-Young Minutes!" threads.  Let's make the most of it. 

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 07:36:59 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
TP

I have to admit, have the threads on trading Rondo makes me want to blow my brains out reading it

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 07:45:57 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I don't particularly care about people whining. I mean, I would say the vast majority of fans (here and elsewhere) are reasonable and patient. It's just that the minority that likes to overreact happens to be exceptionally vocal. The number of posts they make is disproportionate with respect to the actual percentage of the board's population that is irrationally annoying.

Honestly, what annoys me more is when people spontaneously gain precognition. When they say things like, "Randle is going to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer who wins 7 rings, etc. etc." Yeah, we get it, we all have prospects we do and do not like. There is just such a world of difference between saying, "I like Noah Vonleh, I wish we had drafted him" and "VONLEH WILL BE THE GREATEST BASKETBALL PLAYER OF ALL TIME". I feel like this is a more common phenomenon than anyone acting self-entitled. It's people acting like the five minutes of YouTube clips they saw is a sureproof indicator of future success.

EDIT: Of course, the absolute WORST thing is when people complain about other people's complaints, causing other people to complain about that complaint, creating a never-ending echo chamber of complaints. Like I am perpetuating at this moment.  ;)

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 07:48:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This is the same fan base that shredded DA for getting rid of Antoine Walker, don't forget.

I don't mean to be the one to stand up for Antoine, but Raef was on a five year deal on what was essentially a max contract back then coming off major knee surgery. It was a huge mid-step by Ainge would could have just dumped Antoine for an expiring if that was his intention.

Also, Antoine was the leader during the only exciting time in a 15-17 year period. You may not have liked his game, but he did good things for the Cs during an otherwise underwhelming time.

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 07:52:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Players control the league .,  the top 20 players do.....the rest follow and that is that.

If you can' can't get three top 20 players ...you an't really out to seriously compete.  Your team is via ing for a lottery slot

Celtics are once again not even an also ran this up coming year.

They will play very hard , and loose most of their games ..just like last year.....Rondo will be traded mid year .....huge tank effort ..we have no star player that can shoot great...like a Pierce , James, KD ect...

So celtics will play three quarters great and loose every game in the last  8 minutes.

So... Get ready for some tank o Rama

Danny Anige style

Hope we don't take another guard in this draft... :'(

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 08:00:17 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
TP, but don't forget about the Marcus Smart hate and the idea that we should have drafted The 6'8" Julius "0.8 Blocks / Season" Randle instead

+1
i'm no college b-ball expert, but from what i've seen of randle (several games), his ceiling is a LOT lower than smart's. he's like a brandon bass with a better handle and better skills around the rim, but a much worse jump shot. he'll be a solid player, but guys with his skillset and body rarely turn into stars, already he's a flawed offensive player who will have trouble shooting over the trees in the NBA, and he might have defensive problems as well. IMO much like sullinger, he doesn't have the physical attributes to be an elite defender. hard to see his offense ever being good enough to make up for those deficiencies. for every zach randolph there are dozens of brandon basses.
smart on the other hand just needs to figure out his jumpshot, much like AB needed to. if he gets that down he'll be an all-star, his strength and overall skillset are impressive, he can stuff a stat sheet.

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 08:19:27 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Well for us folks who were part of the internet sports culture from from 1997-2007, it's old hat.  We're use to rooting for an irrelevant dumpy franchise with mediocre young prospects and no hope of contending. 

For folks who jumped on the bandwagon in 2007 and rode the high of our micro-dynasty for 3.5 years (followed by the extended victory lap that took place until 2013),  they seem to think the Celtics should be able to snap their fingers and be important again.  It's not happening.  This is going to take several years.  Strap in and enjoy the process.  It was kinda fun rooting for the likes of Delonte West and Tony Allen... irrationally hoping that Gerald Green could become a franchise player...  And it'll be fun rooting for the likes of Marcus Banks and Kelly Olynyk... irrationally hoping that James  Young can be a franchise player.   We might stumble into something eventually. 

Right now there's still some denial.  People think that since Ainge was able to build a contender in 5 years, he should be able to do it in 1.5 the second time around.  They forget how much toiling away in asset-acquisition mode that Celtics had to do until the stars aligned in 2007.

Amen and well put.

Just enjoy watching the young players and hope they are at least improving, and know that at the very least they have an ownership group who is committed to winning. Who knows what could happen? Ill definitely keep watching.

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 08:26:15 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Bolded for emphasis that I totally agree with and support.

Winning it all is more special when you have been at the bottom before...sometimes for a long time.  You know the frustrations, feel the emotions of close losses, always searching for "the" trade that will return you to the top once again.

Lack of patience is responsible for a lot of the ills we see in the world nowadays.  It's a byproduct of our "get it now" mentality because of our technological advances.  Reality has a way of kicking us in the crotch and slowing us down however.  So all those who think the world is ending because we're not going to see Love in green or that Rondo may not be wearing it much longer, take a deep breath and relax.  The destination is rarely as impressive as the journey it takes to reach it. 

Our team is on the court...whoever they are.

Rak

I said it before, but rooting for a loser is more entertaining than rooting for a winner.

On the surface, that comment seems completely asinine, but it's true if you're measuring it in terms of bulk hourly entertainment.

Safe to say that most of the folks here are fanatical sports fans deeply embedded in internet sports culture.  We're a cult of sports nerds.   We're knee-deep in a dismal offseason and yet this form is alive and kicking.  There's at least 3 trade idea threads.  At least 3 threads dedicated to complaining about the team.  At least 3 threads dedicated to over-praising our young assets.    This forum is red-hot, baby.   You got your endless circle arguments going in a forum thread open in one tab, you got your trade machine cranking out in another tab, you got woj's twitter feed on constant refresh in another tab... you're hopping back and forth between RealGM, Shamesports, Hoopshype, the NBA subreddit,  the NBA Summer League page, and digging through the dredges of dumpy twitter profiles looking for juicy rumors you can latch onto.   Look at us in this ridiculous thread... wasting our precious summer debating the merits of whining about the team.   

Are you not entertained?   Hours upon hours dedicated to our geeky celtic obsession.  This guy should be traded.  This guy stinks.  This guy is the future.  This is a trade that could fix us.  HOw many threads will we see this year arguing that the 15th man on our roster could be a starter if just given an opportunity?  Shoot...we might even end up watching a D-League game this year.   Rooting for a loser provides all sorts of fun possibilities.   And yes, you'll painstakingly sit through a handful of hours each week dedicated to actually watching the garbage basketball product being trotted out this year with the Celtic brand attached... that's not going to be a lot of fun, but as soon as it's over you'll be right back on your favorite sites speculating for hours with your internet friends about how to fix this trainwreck.   

The per-hour entertainment is off the charts when your franchise is in the dumps.  Sure as heck beats actually spending your work week doing work.  Rooting for bums is the gift that keeps on giving.

On the flip side, when the team is winning... for a few brief hours every week, you'll get to blissfully watch the artistry of your glorious team in action... it's wonderful and rewarding.  And as soon as it's over, it's over.   There's nothing to talk about.  Guy 1:  "Hey we're pretty good this year."   Guy 2:  "yeah... I agree".   Guy 1:  "...  yeah... so... did you watch Game of Thrones this week?"... BoOOooring.   There's nothing to complain about.  Nothing to debate.  Your trade machine will just sit there collecting dust.  In 2008, this forum was a mere shadow of it's former glorious self.  The only interesting thread was from a guy who claimed Kendrick Perkins was a better fit for our team than Hakeem in his prime.  Beyond that, it was a ghost town.   I think Jeff even admitted it at one point that the traffic to the site plummeted.    Suddenly, your bulk hourly entertainment ratio drops significantly and you have to find something else to do with your time... like kayak or drink alcohol.  Boo.   

So gear up and brace yourself for a wildly entertaining 31 win season full of daily "Trade Rondo!"/"Fire Ainge!"/"Give J-Young Minutes!" threads.  Let's make the most of it.

TP

You nailed the celticblog culture when we are in the standings pits. We all want to be critics and pseudo-GMs. I am entertained, and appreciate the response time from woj tweet to forum topic around here. It's kind of insane. We argue and complain and critique, but ultimately all bleed green.

This place is nuts, and i can't stay away.

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 08:30:05 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Right now there's still some denial.  People think that since Ainge was able to build a contender in 5 years, he should be able to do it in 1.5 the second time around. They forget how much toiling away in asset-acquisition mode that Celtics had to do until the stars aligned in 2007.

Speaking of toiling away in asset acquisition mode, remember trading for Raef Lafrenz, trading for Theo Ratliff, hoping that Kedrik Brown, Sebastien Telfair or even Bruno Sundov would turn into something special? Hoping Vin Baker would turn it around?

Remember those nights how the excitement would build for three quarters as the Cs stayed 5-10 points ahead of the Spurs, or Lakers (thinking, hey, this might really be the start of something), only to have the other team easily pull ahead for the win in the fourth quarter?

Those are painful memories, but I look forward to more.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Still don't know why we traded Rodney Rogers.....that guy was a STUD.

Think he left as a free agent.  I don't miss the Gaston Jr. days.