Author Topic: This whiny self entitled fan base is starting to tick me off  (Read 21511 times)

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
We're starting to sound like a bunch of Yankee or Laker fans nowadays days. Crying about not getting Love, whining about Bradley's contract, just negative negative negative. "Wahhhh this team doesn't have established players" Is this the same fan-base that was torn over giving Big Al up for KG? We won't know what we have here for years, and these fallacies that you can't build a championship team without LeBron James or Love need to be squashed. 3 of the 4 teams that just battled it out for their respective conference built their teams through the draft, and one of those teams didn't even have a top ten pick! The eventual champion didn't have a top ten pick under 35 years old! End rant.

Re: This whiny self entitled fan base is starting to tick me off
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:11:12 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
TP, but don't forget about the Marcus Smart hate and the idea that we should have drafted The 6'8" Julius "0.8 Blocks / Season" Randle instead

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
TP, but don't forget about the Marcus Smart hate and the idea that we should have drafted The 6'8" Julius "0.8 Blocks / Season" Randle instead

Randle was redundant with Sullinger anyway.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 06:14:33 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Not that I'm particularly compelled one way or another on this issue, but I don't see the point in being upset with people seeing what is a very bad Celtics basketball team (and it is a very bad basketball team) and wanting it to be like the very good Celtics basketball teams of the last seven years or so.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 06:15:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well for us folks who were part of the internet sports culture from from 1997-2007, it's old hat.  We're use to rooting for an irrelevant dumpy franchise with mediocre young prospects and no hope of contending. 

For folks who jumped on the bandwagon in 2007 and rode the high of our micro-dynasty for 3.5 years (followed by the extended victory lap that took place until 2013),  they seem to think the Celtics should be able to snap their fingers and be important again.  It's not happening.  This is going to take several years.  Strap in and enjoy the process.  It was kinda fun rooting for the likes of Delonte West and Tony Allen... irrationally hoping that Gerald Green could become a franchise player...  And it'll be fun rooting for the likes of Marcus Banks and Kelly Olynyk... irrationally hoping that James  Young can be a franchise player.   We might stumble into something eventually. 

Right now there's still some denial.  People think that since Ainge was able to build a contender in 5 years, he should be able to do it in 1.5 the second time around.  They forget how much toiling away in asset-acquisition mode that Celtics had to do until the stars aligned in 2007.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:16:26 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Well for us folks who were part of the internet sports culture from from 1997-2007, it's old hat.  We're use to rooting for an irrelevant dumpy franchise with mediocre young stars and no hope of contending. 

For folks who jumped on the bandwagon in 2007 and rode the high of our micro-dynasty for 3.5 years (followed by the extended victory lap that took place until 2013),  they seem to think the Celtics should be able to snap their fingers and be important again.  It's not happening.  This is going to take several years.  Strap in and enjoy the process.  It was kinda fun rooting for the likes of Delonte West and Tony Allen... irrationally hoping that Gerald Green could become a franchise player...  And it'll be fun rooting for the likes of Marcus Banks and Kelly Olynyk... irrationally hoping that James  Young can be a franchise player.   We might stumble into something eventually.

It's Marcus Smart.

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 06:17:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Well for us folks who were part of the internet sports culture from from 1997-2007, it's old hat.  We're use to rooting for an irrelevant dumpy franchise with mediocre young stars and no hope of contending. 

It's Marcus Smart.
Oh my bad.   

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 06:18:20 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Not that I'm particularly compelled one way or another on this issue, but I don't see the point in being upset with people seeing what is a very bad Celtics basketball team (and it is a very bad basketball team) and wanting it to be like the very good Celtics basketball teams of the last seven years or so.

Yeah, but all this complaining is starting to get old. To the point where people irrationally blaming Danny for all this "mess".

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 06:20:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Yeah, but all this complaining is starting to get old. To the point where people irrationally blaming Danny for all this "mess".
There's nothing to blame Danny for.  We went through this from 2003-2007 and we're going through it again.  If we get really lucky, he'll be able to put a relevant team out there in a shorter period of time, but it's more likely this is going to take a half decade.  He knows what he's doing, though.   We knew we were selling the farm for a tiny window in 2007... it was always inevitable that those 32 year old stars we brought in would age themselves out of competitiveness.  He's done a good job of getting us back on the youth track considering how little trade value Pierce/KG had last season.  FOUR 1st round picks for two washed up vets?  Pretty incredible.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 06:21:50 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

There's nothing to blame Danny for.  We went through this from 2003-2007 and we're going through it again.  If we get really lucky, he'll be able to put a relevant team out there in a shorter period of time, but it's more likely this is going to take a half decade.

It was longer than that. Two decades of being bad to mediocre.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 06:22:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

irrational blame on a sports blog?

Say It Ain't So!
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 06:23:26 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

irrational blame on a sports blog?

Say It Ain't So!

;D But like I said it's getting old.

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I can agree with that. I also think that people getting caught up in Summer League hype year after year is old too.

It is what it is.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Well for us folks who were part of the internet sports culture from from 1997-2007, it's old hat.  We're use to rooting for an irrelevant dumpy franchise with mediocre young prospects and no hope of contending. 

Right now there's still some denial.  People think that since Ainge was able to build a contender in 5 years, he should be able to do it in 1.5 the second time around.  They forget how much toiling away in asset-acquisition mode that Celtics had to do until the stars aligned in 2007.

Bolded for emphasis that I totally agree with and support.

Winning it all is more special when you have been at the bottom before...sometimes for a long time.  You know the frustrations, feel the emotions of close losses, always searching for "the" trade that will return you to the top once again.

Lack of patience is responsible for a lot of the ills we see in the world nowadays.  It's a byproduct of our "get it now" mentality because of our technological advances.  Reality has a way of kicking us in the crotch and slowing us down however.  So all those who think the world is ending because we're not going to see Love in green or that Rondo may not be wearing it much longer, take a deep breath and relax.  The destination is rarely as impressive as the journey it takes to reach it. 

Our team is on the court...whoever they are.

Rak

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 06:52:04 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Good Thread :)

Oh let me tell you all tales...tales of The Lean Years....tales of Dino, Ricky, Vitaly, Gomes, Waltah, Montross...

Tales of walking onto the mess decks on my ship and having my buddies wail in laughter at me for being a Celtics fan, lol.....those were the early 90s.

Still don't know why we traded Rodney Rogers.....that guy was a STUD.

As others have said here - we have to be patient. I wanted Love too (we STILL may get him...never over till it's over). But hey if we don't get Love at least triboy16 will be happy ;D

If I proudly emerged as a Celtics fan after The Lean Years then I'll gladly wait until the next time we contend....the NBA Landscape can change SO FAST....