Author Topic: Marcus Smart is invited to USA Basketball Select Team  (Read 12747 times)

Re: Marcus Smart is invited to USA Basketball Select Team
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2014, 12:45:56 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Not necessarily better players, probably better fits for team usa, Their offense is based on transition scoring and generally isolation plays and they run their offense as much through their wings as they do through their point guards. They don't need Rondo's skill set too much, so point guards that are better at scoring than running an offense (Rose and Westbrook) would be better fits.

I always thought Rondo's game was ideal for transition scoring. Maybe it's different now that he's a few years older, but I always saw him as unsurpassed leading a break down the middle. He's lacked running mates for both his NCAA and NBA careers through no fault of his own. Would love to see him in a wide open baseline to baseliNe offense.

Marcus Smart/Bradley/Zeller/Olynyk and Green running on the fast break with Rondo has me salivating for the beginning of the season..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2014, 12:58:52 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Not necessarily better players, probably better fits for team usa, Their offense is based on transition scoring and generally isolation plays and they run their offense as much through their wings as they do through their point guards. They don't need Rondo's skill set too much, so point guards that are better at scoring than running an offense (Rose and Westbrook) would be better fits.

I always thought Rondo's game was ideal for transition scoring. Maybe it's different now that he's a few years older, but I always saw him as unsurpassed leading a break down the middle. He's lacked running mates for both his NCAA and NBA careers through no fault of his own. Would love to see him in a wide open baseline to baseliNe offense.

Marcus Smart/Bradley/Zeller/Olynyk and Green running on the fast break with Rondo has me salivating for the beginning of the season..

I'm hoping for some variant of the 'too tired to run - to tired to play' rule in effect. We certainly have the roster for it.  Run until you can't- then someone else will.

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2014, 01:13:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Zeller and Green are nice running mates for him.

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2014, 04:43:35 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rondo's great in transition, but the transition game I mean is more like what you'd see in an all-star game, based on our team being more athletic than our opponents.

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2014, 05:00:18 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I wish there was a clip of him putting the cuffs on Kyrie and Wall....thats my boy

« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2014, 07:30:21 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Good for him, but I quietly wish he would stay back and just work on his shot all summer long, into the fall. He's been doing this the last 3 years, keeping him way too busy. At some point, he may want to just forgo some of this, and just improve the timing on his shot.

But how do you tell a kid not to go represent his Country? So I don't blame him.

I wish Ron Adams hadn't left. He could have done real nice things for MS. That said, I don't think Smart's shot is quite as broken as some thing and fixing what is wrong could potentially be much easier than fixing someone like Rondo's.

he has a good form, him being a bad shooter for his career is so overblown. I know it annoys people when people compare rookies to stars, but look at D.Wade, was he a "great" shooter coming into the league, no. He slashes.

He has a good form, and with practice he will improve it. It's different from college, now he's doing this for a living

you really think he was just doing it for fun in college? ;D