Author Topic: Marcus Smart is invited to USA Basketball Select Team  (Read 12751 times)

Re: Marcus Smart is invited to USA Basketball Select Team
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2014, 01:55:49 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Cousins size and skills are elite. His work ethic, leadership skills are below avg.

For selfish reasons, I am all for Cousins not making Team USA as I would love love love DA to have the opportunity to make a move for him. I like him considerably more than Love.

But for fairness reasons, he should make the team and with ease. He is easily the 2nd best big (next to Davis). Plumlee (and Faried) making the team over him is a total joke.

Why would him not making the team help us get him?  I can't think of any scenario other than the Sacramento GM staff somehow making USA Basketball decisions and offending him by passing him over- and let's be honest, nobody is putting those clowns in charge of making USA Basketball decisions.  There are probably like 150 college staffs that would be put in charge before anybody from Sacramento got involved
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 02:04:30 PM by Quetzalcoatl »

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2014, 02:23:13 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Cousins size and skills are elite. His work ethic, leadership skills are below avg.

For selfish reasons, I am all for Cousins not making Team USA as I would love love love DA to have the opportunity to make a move for him. I like him considerably more than Love.

But for fairness reasons, he should make the team and with ease. He is easily the 2nd best big (next to Davis). Plumlee (and Faried) making the team over him is a total joke.

Why would him not making the team help us get him?  I can't think of any scenario other than the Sacramento GM staff somehow making USA Basketball decisions and offending him by passing him over- and let's be honest, nobody is putting those clowns in charge of making USA Basketball decisions.  There are probably like 150 college staffs that would be put in charge before anybody from Sacramento got involved

I love Cousins, but this thread is about Smart...how'd Cousins get dragged into this? On a side note, I myself would LOVE to have Cousins here

I'd trade everyone on the team not named Rondo or Smart (if it comes down to Smart being a breaker, then yes)

Rondo/Smart/Cousins, sounds like a great way to rebuild a team

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
David Thorpe Insider - ESPN - Posted this today - Marcus Smart, PG, Boston Celtics
Smart, the sixth pick, is a better shooter and finisher than what we saw in Orlando, where he really struggled to make shots. But he did show off his power and quickness, and defenders fouled him a lot because of it -- he earned 30 free throws in five games (and made 25).

Smart also ran the team well when he played the point, something he likely will do more of in the regular season. (Phil Pressey was Boston's primary point guard in summer league but will not get those same reps over Smart when the games count.) If Boston moves Rajon Rondo, we could see Smart be a productive, if not very efficient, player who can contend for rookie of the year honors.

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Marcus Smart is one of those rare individuals that will do ANYTHING to get better. I honestly think that if his shooting coach told him eating dog feces would help improve his jump shot, Marcus would be in his car looking for directions for the closest dog park....

This is what we miss in Jeff Green, this is what he lacks. Hopefully Smart develops a deadly jumper, but his impact will not just be in the numbers he puts up; his leadership and competitiveness is something we can count on for now and hopefully the next decade.

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2014, 02:39:42 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Marcus Smart is one of those rare individuals that will do ANYTHING to get better. I honestly think that if his shooting coach told him eating dog feces would help improve his jump shot, Marcus would be in his car looking for directions for the closest dog park....

This is what we miss in Jeff Green, this is what he lacks. Hopefully Smart develops a deadly jumper, but his impact will not just be in the numbers he puts up; his leadership and competitiveness is something we can count on for now and hopefully the next decade.

I 100%, Jeff Green is a great player but he needs consistency and fire...I just do not see that in his eyes, which I was rooting for him all of last season cuz he has been passed the torch. I was very very disappointed. Not that I am in the trade him immediately camp, but I am more likely to trade him now as a package, or at least keep him as a 3rd or 4th option

David Thorpe Insider - ESPN - Posted this today - Marcus Smart, PG, Boston Celtics
Smart, the sixth pick, is a better shooter and finisher than what we saw in Orlando, where he really struggled to make shots. But he did show off his power and quickness, and defenders fouled him a lot because of it -- he earned 30 free throws in five games (and made 25).

Smart also ran the team well when he played the point, something he likely will do more of in the regular season. (Phil Pressey was Boston's primary point guard in summer league but will not get those same reps over Smart when the games count.) If Boston moves Rajon Rondo, we could see Smart be a productive, if not very efficient, player who can contend for rookie of the year honors.

That's very good news, I honestly think he and Rondo can co-exist and him playing the 2 guard

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2014, 03:05:19 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

That's very good news, I honestly think he and Rondo can co-exist and him playing the 2 guard

That sure makes me breath a little easier

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2014, 04:18:04 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Cousins might not make the team due to immaturity issues...

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24645248/report-mason-plumlee-likely-to-make-team-usa-over-demarcus-cousins

DeMarcus Cousins is a beast, but ultimately, the staff has to be able to trust him, both in regard to dealing with officials and in making decisions with the ball. During a scrimmage on Tuesday, Cousins punched a wall pad out of frustration as the ball went the other way in transition. It was something that would go mostly unnoticed in an NBA game, but that stuff registers with the staff. He has great skills, but USA bigs don’t need to play one-on-one.

Talk about overreaction... oh my god he punched a padded wall!!!! Cut him from Team USA for someone with a fraction of his talent, can't have people punching padded stuff around here!

Lol I know right

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2014, 06:38:52 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

That sure makes me breath a little easier
Hypothetically, lets say Rondo is moved and Smart starts at the point. I think he could bust out and contend for ROY. Another award he could contend for would be one of the all defensive teams. Obviously he would need to keep progressing and the situation would need to be there, but I do think a legit 2-way player has more of a chance to win ROY than a guy that JUST puts up points.

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2014, 07:18:04 PM »

Offline shrinkage36

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
I think he will struggle early on until he's accustomed to how things are in the NBA. Once he gets acclimated to the speed, power, refs, super stars all over the place, by mid season, he will go on a tear and he will be a point guard to be reckoned with.

As far as leadership, he's a natural born leader. Leading is his thing. But he will not push Rhondo out of the way, that's just not how he is. But the way he plays is "balls to the wall" and because of everything he does, people will just move out of his way and let him do his thing and lead. He's not selfish at all, but sometimes Stars (not saying he's a star) but stars have to stop being unselfish and take over. If a team doesn't need him to score, he'll be fine putting up 13 points, 8 asst, 3-5 steals, 5 rebs, 2 blocks per game, and shutting down the opposing teams guard/small forwards.

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2014, 07:57:37 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Hat tip to Jordan Crawford and his twitter handle the white and blue team will be scrimmaging tonight and it's going to be on NBATV 12est/9pst

I'll be tuning in to see Smart for sure....
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Hat tip to Jordan Crawford and his twitter handle the white and blue team will be scrimmaging tonight and it's going to be on NBATV 12est/9pst

Am I missing something? I thought the game was at 9pm ET on ESPN. I posted the schedule link below, which is directly from their website.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2014, 09:13:44 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Am I missing something? I thought the game was at 9pm ET on ESPN. I posted the schedule link below, which is directly from their website.

I'm watching it now on ESPN. Pretty entertaining for far.

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2014, 09:25:23 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I'm watching it now on ESPN. Pretty entertaining for far.

Are the select players playing tonight? I didn't think so.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2014, 09:47:27 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
^
I thought they were my bad guys and you're right it's on ESPN now but with no Smart meh
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2014, 12:44:07 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Not necessarily better players, probably better fits for team usa, Their offense is based on transition scoring and generally isolation plays and they run their offense as much through their wings as they do through their point guards. They don't need Rondo's skill set too much, so point guards that are better at scoring than running an offense (Rose and Westbrook) would be better fits.

I always thought Rondo's game was ideal for transition scoring. Maybe it's different now that he's a few years older, but I always saw him as unsurpassed leading a break down the middle. He's lacked running mates for both his NCAA and NBA careers through no fault of his own. Would love to see him in a wide open baseline to baseliNe offense.