Author Topic: Marcus Smart is invited to USA Basketball Select Team  (Read 12718 times)

Re: Marcus Smart is invited to USA Basketball Select Team
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
After reading this one has to wonder if Marcus Smart will be our PG next year.  Not this season but I could see Rondo moved for assets if all this is true.

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 12:04:23 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
People underestimate the benefit of Team USA exposure. Smart is literally practicing with the absolute best guards in the NBA right now-- gaining experience guarding them, learning their practicing techniques; he's learning defense from Thibodeau. This will all help raise his game to the next level.

I really think that Rondo's lack of participation in USA basketball has really hurt his game. He could have learned a lot working out with the best, but we all know he's too stubborn for that.

Rondo had Thibs for an assistant coach for years and practiced with some of the best players in the league every day when he was younger. I doubt not spending more time with USA basketball hurt his game at all.

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 12:29:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm trying to be guarded in regards to my optimism about Marcus Smart, (so that i'm not crushed if he doesn't immediately perform) but all these reports are making it difficult.

Rondo, Bradley and Smart could make up a great back court rotation.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

I really think that Rondo's lack of participation in USA basketball has really hurt his game. He could have learned a lot working out with the best, but we all know he's too stubborn for that.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970203897404578076793880988504

It really wasn't his fault though. He did participate, started a few exhibition games, but then he started losing ground to the other PGs and eventually withdrew to save face from being cut from the squad.

Well, I don't think Rondo was ever that interested which resulted in his lackluster performance (we all know in Boston how unimpressive Rondo can look when he doesn't care).

In response to the comments that it didn't hurt his game: I was just pointing out Thibs for Smart sake, not a reference to Rondo. For Rondo's sake, he missed out on a great chance to learn from Lebron, Melo, Wade, and crew; I saw a real improvement in their games after the USA summers and I think Rondo would have greatly benefited. I mean, do you really think that he wouldn't benefit by being around and practicing with the leagues top players instead of going on vacation and working out with just coaches?

You have a chance to essential be on a all-star team that practices and competes long term versus 1 weekend. If you watch the behind the scenes video from this USA basketball team, you can see Kyrie sharing the different backboard drills he uses to practice making layups in traffic. That is only one example, but clearly there is much to be learned from all the players-- even if it's just to see what other's player routines are.

Also, you have Harden, Durant, and George, practicing and going at each other every day. They're certainly going to improve as a result.

http://youtu.be/C6unPpOKsiM?list=UUBo3XgAVBeE74Zw0T77aDhw
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:39:54 PM by zerophase »

Become Legendary.

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 02:11:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I'm trying to be guarded in regards to my optimism about Marcus Smart, (so that i'm not crushed if he doesn't immediately perform) but all these reports are making it difficult.

Same here.

Not getting all giddy about Smart .  Yet....... I think he needs a full year to bust out. Maybe two.

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 05:21:20 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

It really wasn't his fault though. He did participate, started a few exhibition games, but then he started losing ground to the other PGs and eventually withdrew to save face from being cut from the squad.

Well, I don't think Rondo was ever that interested which resulted in his lackluster performance (we all know in Boston how unimpressive Rondo can look when he doesn't care).

In response to the comments that it didn't hurt his game: I was just pointing out Thibs for Smart sake, not a reference to Rondo. For Rondo's sake, he missed out on a great chance to learn from Lebron, Melo, Wade, and crew; I saw a real improvement in their games after the USA summers and I think Rondo would have greatly benefited. I mean, do you really think that he wouldn't benefit by being around and practicing with the leagues top players instead of going on vacation and working out with just coaches?

You have a chance to essential be on a all-star team that practices and competes long term versus 1 weekend. If you watch the behind the scenes video from this USA basketball team, you can see Kyrie sharing the different backboard drills he uses to practice making layups in traffic. That is only one example, but clearly there is much to be learned from all the players-- even if it's just to see what other's player routines are.

Also, you have Harden, Durant, and George, practicing and going at each other every day. They're certainly going to improve as a result.

I don't think it was any disinterest on his part that caused him to not make the squad. Frankly, he just had two players at his spot (Rose and Westbrook) that were not only better players, but better fits under FIBA rules.

"I think I'm on the bubble," Rondo said Tuesday. "Just looking at the obvious -- I got a DNP last game. That pretty much speaks for itself."

Rajon Rondo, right, could find himself on the outside looking in on Team USA's roster.
After losing his job as the starting point guard to Derrick Rose last weekend in Madrid, Rondo's stock has fallen to the point where it now appears he is third on the point guard depth chart behind Rose and Russell Westbrook.

Coach K also said he would try to give all 13 players some playing time, as long as circumstances permit it.

When pressed on who may or may not be on the bubble, Krzyzewski gave a very strong indication that Stephen Curry is not.

"It's not so much what Rajon has to show, it's what our team needs. We've found a good lineup, and the international game is so different from the NBA game, you can ask any of these guys," Krzyzewski said. "Part of it is to make sure that we try not to have two non-shooters out on the court, and there's the physicality, too.

"Derrick right now being with Chauncey is a good [combination], and Stephen, he provides a different thing, because if they are going under [screens] and they keep going under on him, then he has a 3. So it forces another team to change the way they defend our team. So it's things like that, and how we feel strategy-wise what'll be best for the team."

Rondo played poorly (1 of 4, two points, one assist, four turnovers) in the Americans' game against Lithuania on Saturday in which they failed to establish a fast pace and scored just seven points in the first quarter. Rondo and Tyson Chandler were replaced by Rose and Odom in the starting five the following night against Spain.

Rondo's knack for rebounding works in his favor, but his inability to consistently hit jump shots and free throws -- he was 5 of 19 (26 percent) in the NBA Finals -- are two of the factors working against him.

"It's what's best for the country," said Rondo, who said his DNP-CD (did not play -- coach's decision) Sunday was his first since his rookie NBA season. "It's part of it. We knew coming in it was still tryouts until we make the team that goes to Turkey."

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 06:27:10 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't think it was any disinterest on his part that caused him to not make the squad. Frankly, he just had two players at his spot (Rose and Westbrook) that were not only better players, but better fits under FIBA rules.

Not necessarily better players, probably better fits for team usa, Their offense is based on transition scoring and generally isolation plays and they run their offense as much through their wings as they do through their point guards. They don't need Rondo's skill set too much, so point guards that are better at scoring than running an offense (Rose and Westbrook) would be better fits.

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 08:03:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

And pressey. Plus add thornton, turner and young to provide scoring help

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 09:13:11 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Not necessarily better players, probably better fits for team usa, Their offense is based on transition scoring and generally isolation plays and they run their offense as much through their wings as they do through their point guards. They don't need Rondo's skill set too much, so point guards that are better at scoring than running an offense (Rose and Westbrook) would be better fits.

If you can't shoot you almost don't deserve to be on a FIBA floor.  As much as I like Drummond, it's part of his problem in the system (and why there is concern with him being on the team).

Big Rondo fan but I see why he wouldn't start on that team and I don't think he wants to accept coming off the bench.  I'm fine with it.

If we know what Rondo can be like I think it makes sense and I also think it would be un-Rondo to want to go learn from his competition like a lot of these guys do.  Rondo just isn't like that.  He is old-school.  Yes I think this experience could help him, but I think Rondo has a fire where he steps up in big games without it because he competes like that.  I have no complaints with Rondo.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 09:58:21 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Cousins might not make the team due to immaturity issues...

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24645248/report-mason-plumlee-likely-to-make-team-usa-over-demarcus-cousins

DeMarcus Cousins is a beast, but ultimately, the staff has to be able to trust him, both in regard to dealing with officials and in making decisions with the ball. During a scrimmage on Tuesday, Cousins punched a wall pad out of frustration as the ball went the other way in transition. It was something that would go mostly unnoticed in an NBA game, but that stuff registers with the staff. He has great skills, but USA bigs don’t need to play one-on-one.

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 10:00:02 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Cousins might not make the team due to immaturity issues...

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24645248/report-mason-plumlee-likely-to-make-team-usa-over-demarcus-cousins

DeMarcus Cousins is a beast, but ultimately, the staff has to be able to trust him, both in regard to dealing with officials and in making decisions with the ball. During a scrimmage on Tuesday, Cousins punched a wall pad out of frustration as the ball went the other way in transition. It was something that would go mostly unnoticed in an NBA game, but that stuff registers with the staff. He has great skills, but USA bigs don’t need to play one-on-one.

Talk about overreaction... oh my god he punched a padded wall!!!! Cut him from Team USA for someone with a fraction of his talent, can't have people punching padded stuff around here!

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Cousins size and skills are elite. His work ethic, leadership skills are below avg.   

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2014, 11:53:35 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Reading that Mason Plumlee could make the team instead of DMC. Not that you need a legitimate big until you play Spain anyway, but still...

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2014, 01:27:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Cousins size and skills are elite. His work ethic, leadership skills are below avg.

For selfish reasons, I am all for Cousins not making Team USA as I would love love love DA to have the opportunity to make a move for him. I like him considerably more than Love.

But for fairness reasons, he should make the team and with ease. He is easily the 2nd best big (next to Davis). Plumlee (and Faried) making the team over him is a total joke.

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2014, 01:34:27 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

For selfish reasons, I am all for Cousins not making Team USA as I would love love love DA to have the opportunity to make a move for him. I like him considerably more than Love.

But for fairness reasons, he should make the team and with ease. He is easily the 2nd best big (next to Davis). Plumlee (and Faried) making the team over him is a total joke.

Agreed.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14