Author Topic: Marcus Smart is invited to USA Basketball Select Team  (Read 12752 times)

Re: Marcus Smart is invited to USA Basketball Select Team
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 05:18:57 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Good for him, but I quietly wish he would stay back and just work on his shot all summer long, into the fall. He's been doing this the last 3 years, keeping him way too busy. At some point, he may want to just forgo some of this, and just improve the timing on his shot.

But how do you tell a kid not to go represent his Country? So I don't blame him.

You get better by playing, and regardless, you don't think he's putting up shots?  He's working on his game every day either way.  And this is a great experience for a rookie.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 05:21:48 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Good for him, but I quietly wish he would stay back and just work on his shot all summer long, into the fall. He's been doing this the last 3 years, keeping him way too busy. At some point, he may want to just forgo some of this, and just improve the timing on his shot.

But how do you tell a kid not to go represent his Country? So I don't blame him.

I wish Ron Adams hadn't left. He could have done real nice things for MS. That said, I don't think Smart's shot is quite as broken as some thing and fixing what is wrong could potentially be much easier than fixing someone like Rondo's.
lonely toaster, you raise a question for me. there has been a lot of talk about smart's shooting. but is the problem his mechanics? or the shot selection (he takes perfectly fine shots, but from bad locations)? both? neither?

i am curious about what exactly the problem is for his shooting.

He has a slight dip in his shot, which looked better in SL. And he turns his body some times in the air, which he still did in SL. Out side of that it's not bad. He shoots freethrows well, which shows if he keeps his body squared he shoots better.

It's no like Rondo's shot. Rondo takes his guide hand off the ball way too quick and has a hitch some times. It's not fluid at all. And he shot better at times last year, but the form is still bad. Smart's over all form is good, just needs some tweeking.

But when this kid gets hot, its fun to watch!

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 05:37:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He's working on his game every day either way.

I hope he rubs off on Jared this way.

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 06:40:35 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I wish Ron Adams hadn't left. He could have done real nice things for MS. That said, I don't think Smart's shot is quite as broken as some thing and fixing what is wrong could potentially be much easier than fixing someone like Rondo's.

he has a good form, him being a bad shooter for his career is so overblown. I know it annoys people when people compare rookies to stars, but look at D.Wade, was he a "great" shooter coming into the league, no. He slashes.

He has a good form, and with practice he will improve it. It's different from college, now he's doing this for a living

Good point.  There have been many great players that weren't good shooters coming into the league that became one.

That being said I'm not sure the comps to Wade is a good one.  I have to see more of him but I don't see the same explosive first step and athleticism as Wade.  I'd love to be proven wrong though.  That doesn't mean I don't think he'll be an excellent player.

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 11:11:11 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

lonely toaster, you raise a question for me. there has been a lot of talk about smart's shooting. but is the problem his mechanics? or the shot selection (he takes perfectly fine shots, but from bad locations)? both? neither?

He brings the ball down to his knees at times before he pulls up into his usual motion, which that motion is quite good. He also tries to draw contact too often sometimes and that can be a bit of a hinderence to his form.

No, isn't a perfect shooter but he's going to be good in that department sooner rather than later.

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 11:15:44 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Sam Amico ?@SamAmicoFSO  26m
Celtics rookie Marcus Smart really opening eyes as member of Select Team in scrimmages vs Team USA. Going up against Kyrie, Rose, Wall, etc.

GREAT to hear. I'm excited.

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 11:46:17 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

I worry however if Jared rubs off Smart. Cakes cakes cakes
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 11:48:39 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Jared is working on his 4 point shot.

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 11:49:00 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
great for marcus, really good working experience right there.

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 11:49:59 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188

Jared is working on his 4 point shot.
hope he adds a shimmy to that

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 11:08:19 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
People underestimate the benefit of Team USA exposure. Smart is literally practicing with the absolute best guards in the NBA right now-- gaining experience guarding them, learning their practicing techniques; he's learning defense from Thibodeau. This will all help raise his game to the next level.

I really think that Rondo's lack of participation in USA basketball has really hurt his game. He could have learned a lot working out with the best, but we all know he's too stubborn for that.

---

Sidenote: Celtics need a shooting coach.

The three clubs that have employed shooting coaches for multiple years—the Dallas Mavericks, San Antonio Spurs and Indiana Pacers—have made at least slight improvements in shooting rates. Since hiring shooting coach Gary Boren in 1997, the Mavs have gone from 25th in free-throw shooting and 27th in three-point shooting to first and third, respectively.

Since hiring Billy Keller as shot director in 2007, the Pacers have posted the league's fifth-highest free-throw percentage and eighth-highest rate from behind the arc (up from 19th and 18th, respectively). Since the Spurs hired Chip Engelland in 2005, San Antonio has gone from eighth to third in three-point shooting, and moved up one spot, to 25th, in foul shooting.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970203897404578076793880988504
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:13:24 AM by zerophase »

Become Legendary.

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 11:18:03 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
People underestimate the benefit of Team USA exposure. Smart is literally practicing with the absolute best guards in the NBA right now-- gaining experience guarding them, learning their practicing techniques; he's learning defense from Thibodeau. This will all help raise his game to the next level.

I really think that Rondo's lack of participation in USA basketball has really hurt his game. He could have learned a lot working out with the best, but we all know he's too stubborn for that.

I agree with you on this - Smart is going to be special, the C's were very lucky to get him at 6.  He is the type of guys love to play with and coaches love coaching him.  My expectations are very high for him and I really believe he is a cornerstone guy for the next great C's team...

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 11:24:06 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

He brings the ball down to his knees at times before he pulls up into his usual motion, which that motion is quite good. He also tries to draw contact too often sometimes and that can be a bit of a hinderence to his form.

No, isn't a perfect shooter but he's going to be good in that department sooner rather than later.
thanks lt, and others who explained this to me. tps for everyone!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970203897404578076793880988504

It really wasn't his fault though. He did participate, started a few exhibition games, but then he started losing ground to the other PGs and eventually withdrew to save face from being cut from the squad.

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7CUa01JG0g&feature=youtu.be

A few glimpses of Marcus, though not very notable.  Figured I'd share anyways for the overreactions  ;)