Author Topic: Marcus Smart is invited to USA Basketball Select Team  (Read 12731 times)

Marcus Smart is invited to USA Basketball Select Team
« on: July 18, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Among USA Basketball Select Team invitees to Las Vegas, sources tell Yahoo. Marcus Smart, Doug McDermott, Victor Oladipo, Tobias Harris.

Sources: More invitees to USA Basketball training camp to work against national team: Brooklyn's Mason Plumlee and Phoenix's Miles Plumlee.

Re: Marcus Smart is invited to USA Basketball Select Team
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Beat me to it.  Good for Marcus, and he'll get some great experience.  It's nice to have a little positive Celtics news this summer.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 02:49:19 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Good for him. He'll get some good experience while he's there.

Would love to see these practices and how he D's guys up and see where he's actually at.

Smart gets invited to USA Basketball Select Team camp
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Among USA Basketball Select Team invitees to Las Vegas, sources tell Yahoo. Marcus Smart, Doug McDermott, Victor Oladipo, Tobias Harris.

This will be great experience for Smart.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

Re: Smart gets invited to USA Basketball Select Team camp
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No parker or randle??

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 03:31:41 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26

This will be great experience for Smart.

Cool find and great news. 

TP for you.

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 03:34:20 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
No parker or randle??

i guess those weren't the Smart choices.

oh yeah:)

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 03:46:13 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
An article I saw on celtics.com. It's a good read and what caught my eye the most is this quote

" majority of the players who have cycled through the Select Team program since 2006 have gone on to become elite NBA players"

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/smart-selection-cs-rook-usa-select-team

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 03:47:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I anxiously await Mason Plumelee, 2020 NBA MVP.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 10:51:54 AM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »

Offline shrinkage36

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Good for him, but I quietly wish he would stay back and just work on his shot all summer long, into the fall. He's been doing this the last 3 years, keeping him way too busy. At some point, he may want to just forgo some of this, and just improve the timing on his shot.

But how do you tell a kid not to go represent his Country? So I don't blame him.

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 04:50:37 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Good for him, but I quietly wish he would stay back and just work on his shot all summer long, into the fall. He's been doing this the last 3 years, keeping him way too busy. At some point, he may want to just forgo some of this, and just improve the timing on his shot.

But how do you tell a kid not to go represent his Country? So I don't blame him.

I wish Ron Adams hadn't left. He could have done real nice things for MS. That said, I don't think Smart's shot is quite as broken as some thing and fixing what is wrong could potentially be much easier than fixing someone like Rondo's.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 05:03:09 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I wish Ron Adams hadn't left. He could have done real nice things for MS. That said, I don't think Smart's shot is quite as broken as some thing and fixing what is wrong could potentially be much easier than fixing someone like Rondo's.

he has a good form, him being a bad shooter for his career is so overblown. I know it annoys people when people compare rookies to stars, but look at D.Wade, was he a "great" shooter coming into the league, no. He slashes.

He has a good form, and with practice he will improve it. It's different from college, now he's doing this for a living

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 05:05:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

lonely toaster, you raise a question for me. there has been a lot of talk about smart's shooting. but is the problem his mechanics? or the shot selection (he takes perfectly fine shots, but from bad locations)? both? neither?

i am curious about what exactly the problem is for his shooting.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 05:18:38 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

He'll have a good solid month to month and a half before Camp to work on his shot. Being in this environment is WAY more important. He'll get some inside into from the other guards, and coach's. He'll see what it takes to get to the next level. Plus it give him more of a drive if he wants to make this team. He'll see it first hand and want to get back to it.

Plus he doesn't need to have his shot completely fixed before the season. If I see a steady improvement over the course of the year, I think thats a really good sign.