Author Topic: Up Tempo/ Defensive Squad with…….. Yep, Josh Smith!!  (Read 2056 times)

Up Tempo/ Defensive Squad with…….. Yep, Josh Smith!!
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »

Offline Celticjay

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
So I know Josh Smith isn't beloved in the league right now and I understand all the reasons why.  2 Years ago he was the best player for Atlanta which doesn't say a lot but he got them to the playoffs, which is something he has done almost every year of his career, something Kevin Love can't say..

He makes 13 million a year which suddenly doesn't seem so crazy especially with all the money being thrown around (Parsons 16 million/ Haywood 15 million)  He's also childhood friend of Rondo who would likely help keep Rondo in town.  Now that K Love is likely out of reach for the Green I think we need to hold on to Rondo and become decent at the same time develop our young players. 

Getting an elite Free Agent to town is always tough for Boston and will be very tough if we are a rebuilding team not competing for the playoffs.

When I think of our team I see some multiplicity at the guard spots and PF.   One thing we do lack is a rim protector which Josh is.   He's also a good defender and rebounder which would be an upgrade over Olynk and Sullinger who both don't have his athleticism.   

I also see Stevens wanting to incorporate the defensive identity he had a Butler.   With Smith, Green, Bradley, Rondo and Smart we have the makings of a really strong defence.

I see offence being our weak spot again, but think we could just really focus on being an uptempo team with all of these athletes.  Smith, Green, Bradley  are all excellent in transition.  James Young, Smart are also young legs who have showed skills in transition. 

In addition, Zeller as many have stated is one of the best Bigs in the league for running the floor.  With this group we could really turn games into a track meet with Rondo orchestrating it all, which by the way would be great to increase his value around the league.  Never a bad thing.

[ftp]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYa-v3l39So/ftp]

I think it would be a fun brand of basketball and we would be competitive.  At the same time we'd still have a ton of assets to pursue other players as they become available.  This would allow us to be more opportunistic instead of a little desperate which is what it feels like now with our supposed pursuit of Love.   

TRADE PROPOSAL
Det: Sullinger, Bass, Bogans exception (If needed Philly first/2 seconders)
Boston: J Smooth

LINEUP
C: Zeller, Faverani
PF: Smith, Olynk
SF: Green, Young ( Don't want to see Wallace on the court at all)
SG: Bradley, Smart/Thornton
PG: Rondo, Smart, Pressey

I know this isn't a fireworks type of scenario but I do think if this team Gels they would be a playoff team.  At the same time we would have all of our assets in tact.  Also, it is something that could be done rather than a situation where we are hoping.   It would allow us to be competitive and yet opportunistic once the right player became available.   

Alright let me have it!!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:49:46 PM by Celticjay »

Re: Up Tempo/ Defensive Squad with…….. Yep, Josh Smith!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 01:44:51 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
sigh...

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 01:50:13 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
He fits the scheme & is a better compliment to the roster than Sullinger. I'm in.

I target Gasol next offseason. Looking to have Smith, Olynyk, Gasol, & Zeller in the frontcourt

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 01:50:27 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I always wanted to bring Smith here, simply because I was a huge fan of J-Smoove! And also because I live in Virginia, and saw a few games of them playing together, and their chemistry is unbelievable. If there was any player J-Smith should be playing with, its Rajon Rondo. Best friends, still close as ever in the NBA, and the fact he wanted to come here. I think though I'm a little disappointed in Smith. He wanted to play with Rondo, but he also wanted to get paid.

It can't go both ways.

The team itself is good, but I don't see the point of it. The only point of going after Josh Smith now is to bring in a decent player, and try to build a team from there, or using any other conditioned assets to bring in more. From your trade it really cuts off a few assets. Sullinger is still worth more than Josh Smith, and even if Sullinger isn't exactly the bonafide valued player, the only reason why Sully isn't exactly being pursued as much, is that Ainge is going to ask for more than what hes actually worth.

I get your original point. It makes for a strong defensive fast break team. And that is definitely a great thing to have in a team; the ability to score on the fast break after a turnover/steal/block. I wouldn't be opposed to it. I would just offer them Bogans, and Wallace/two 2nd round picks for Smith. There is no way in gods name, I'm going to put in Sullinger for Smith. Sully is just worth a lot more than Smith.

The funny thing is if Ainge wanted, I could see him trying to go after Smith/Sanders. Use some picks to bring them both in, and a line up of Rondo, Smart/Bradley, Green, Smith, and Sanders could be one of the best defensive teams in the league.

And then Ainge could use whatever assets he wanted to bring in a big time scorer in 2015/2016.

EDIT: If we ever went after Durant hard, and signed him, oh man!

Total pipe dream:
Rondo
Smart
Durant
Smith
Sanders/Gasol

That team would be unstoppable.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I actually seem him being more of a Small Forward on this team.  A front line of Smith/Sullinger/Zeller would be interesting....

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 01:53:57 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I'd be for it, but only with Smith at the 4 with Olynyk or Zeller at the 5 to keep shooting around him. After last year's disaster in Detroit, there's no way in hell I'd have Smith at the 3! lol

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »

Offline Celticjay

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
[Quote)
The funny thing is if Ainge wanted, I could see him trying to go after Smith/Sanders. Use some picks to bring them both in, and a line up of Rondo, Smart/Bradley, Green, Smith, and Sanders could be one of the best defensive teams in the league.

And then Ainge could use whatever assets he wanted to bring in a big time scorer in 2015/2016.

EDIT: If we ever went after Durant hard, and signed him, oh man!

Total pipe dream:
Rondo
Smart
Durant
Smith
Sanders/Gasol

That team would be unstoppable.
[/quote]

I do like the idea of Sanders but I would worry about our floor spacing as we'd have really shaky shooting.  I think Olynk really complements this squad well with his floor spacing and passing abilities.   As for Durant from what I've read it is either Oklahoma city or Washington (his home town).  would love to have him though.

As for Sullinger I like him but he just doesn't work with the team we have currently,  too slow, heavy and can't jump

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 02:04:14 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Josh Smith is a talented player, but I do not want him on the Celtics.  He can fill a box score and his highlights end up on Sports Center, but he always kills his team with ill timed low percentage shots.  He's the ultimate tease.  Just say no to Josh Smith.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 02:05:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think though I'm a little disappointed in Smith. He wanted to play with Rondo, but he also wanted to get paid.

It can't go both ways.

I mean, there's wanting to get paid, but the Celtics last offseason, after they made the Pierce/KG trade and drafted Olynyk, could literally have offered him no more than $5.15 million last year per CBA rules, without pursuing a sign-and-trade with Atlanta.  It's one thing to say he took the money, it's another thing to recognize he was offered 2.6 times what the Celtics could offer.  Even if he took more from Detroit than any other team, it's a pretty safe assumption the Celtics offer would have been trumped by a half-dozen teams.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 02:13:20 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

because... its almost the weekend!

also, I'm putting together a monster trade for DMC, just wait and see!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 02:16:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is a poor shooter and would fit right in on our team.

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 02:17:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

because... its almost the weekend!

also, I'm putting together a monster trade for DMC, just wait and see!

I'd much rather have DMC than Josh Smith, and I eagerly anticipate your post.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »

Offline Piasecki8

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 9
Smith coming to Boston would actually help out both teams and I think that we could actually use Wallace instead of Bass or Bogans' waivable contract(can use somewhere else) in the deal. Wallace has one year less on his contract and it's for cheaper money anyway. That extra year is right in line with Detroit NEEDING money to re-sign Drummond. If we gave them Wallace with Sully and say Clips 1st for kicks, I think that deal would be hard for them to turn down. Maybe they give us a 2nd rounder for a non-guaranteed as well. I don't usually like trade ideas given the fact that we have no control over them whatsoever, but this one intrigues me and could help our squad.

If they can aquire Smith then Boston would be on the books for only 1 million more over the next 2 years than they are already. There really is no downside. If Green opts out and they sign Rondo to 15 per they would be at 48 million heading into next off season. If Green opts in then that would be 57. That would still leave them with money to upgrade the team in other areas and the following year Smith, Rondo, Bradley Smart, Olynyk and Young would be the start of a team at 45 million combined with 22-25 million or so to spend along with multiple 1st rounders still in our pocket. I'm sure it wouldn't be exactly that as more moves would be made but i'm sure any of those wouldn't be made unless they upgrade the talent on the roster or provide more cap flexibility.

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 02:37:19 PM »

Offline Piasecki8

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 9
Josh Smith is a talented player, but I do not want him on the Celtics.  He can fill a box score and his highlights end up on Sports Center, but he always kills his team with ill timed low percentage shots.  He's the ultimate tease.  Just say no to Josh Smith.

I don't think he has ever played in a system like what we expect out of this Brad Stevens coached team. Ball sharing and team play was never really the emphasis on any teams he's been on thus far in his career.13.5 mil doesn't sound so bad when looking at where the league is going with the cap in the next few years. I think if I was to go to a team with one of my best friends the game would become more fun again and I could relax a little better. If Stevens could convince him that his defense is what we traded for and to let the offense come to him rather than forcing it, then he would absolutely improve our squad. This would all hinder on Danny's plan for Rondo though. People are annoyed that Rondo has supposedly said (i've never actually seen any quotes though) that he wants max. I have however seen Rondo himself say that the 11 million he makes is plenty. I'm sure he wouldn't turn down 4/60 or 5/75 to play with Smith for a few more years and be the leader of this organization. If Rondo and Smith comprise 28 million leaving Danny with 40 plus million to fill out the roster, I don't see how that would be bad.