Author Topic: Trade idea: Bos, Cle, Minn  (Read 7810 times)

Re: Trade idea: Bos, Cle, Minn
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2014, 11:50:24 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Rubio can't shoot, so that completely negates his playmaking, passing, proven defensive impact, and court vision.  Gotcha.

Well, Rondo can't shoot, guess he must be an awful point guard, too.  No idea why the Wolves would want to give him a 5 year deal.

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2014, 11:55:52 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Rubio can't shoot, so that completely negates his playmaking, passing, proven defensive impact, and court vision.  Gotcha.

Well, Rondo can't shoot, guess he must be an awful point guard, too.  No idea why the Wolves would want to give him a 5 year deal.

LOL trying to make the argument something else. May as well admit defeat. I read the articles you wanted and I point out only some of the issues in them. I never said Rubio couldn't do other things. I just said he is a bench player. I gave my reason why for that opinion. Can he start for the Wolves right now yes. Could/Should he start for a majority of the NBA teams, No.

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 12:00:24 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Your reason for why you think he's a bench player is because you're incapable of giving an objective assessment of a guy you clearly don't like.

And I'm not admitting defeat to anything.  There's no point in linking to other articles detailing how above average and elite he is in those four categories I mentioned since you'll likely just obnoxiously dismiss them as fluff pieces, too.  You seem to be convinced that because Rubio can't shoot, he's nothing more than an overpaid bench player, despite the fact that he's consistently praised as one of the best facilitators in the league (which... you know... you should want out of your POINT GUARD).

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 12:14:57 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
You can't deny those were fluff pieces. Again why you trying to make it about Rondo? I know cause you're done.

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 12:24:22 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
I absolutely can deny they were fluff pieces.  They're written using actual statistical backing, insight from coaches, and professional analysts.  Just because you don't like what they're saying since it doesn't align with your thoughts doesn't make them invalid or inapplicable.

Dismissing them as fluff pieces isn't changing the fact that you're blatantly wrong in calling Rubio a bad defender -- a point you've since backed away from.

Progression of this conversation:
"Rubio's a terrible defender."
"Wait, you say he isn't bad on defense?  According to whom? Psh, I've never seen anyone say he's a good defender."
"Oh, there are actually people who've said he's a good defender?  And he's 33rd in the league in isolation defense, too?  You mean 33rd among point guards, right?"
"Oh, that's his ranking out of the whole league?  Nah, those are just fluff pieces - and the stats are all fluff, too.  He still can't shoot, though."
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:32:52 AM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 12:42:34 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I absolutely can deny they were fluff pieces.  They're written using actual statistical backing, insight from coaches, and professional analysts.  Just because you don't like what they're saying since it doesn't align with your thoughts doesn't make them invalid or inapplicable.

Dismissing them as fluff pieces isn't changing the fact that you're blatantly wrong in calling Rubio a bad defender -- a point you've since backed away from.

Progression of this conversation:
"Rubio's a terrible defender."
"Wait, you say he isn't bad on defense?  According to whom? Psh, I've never seen anyone say he's a good defender."
"Oh, there are actually people who've said he's a good defender?  And he's 33rd in the league in isolation defense, too?  You mean 33rd among point guards, right?"
"Oh, that's his ranking out of the whole league?  Nah, those are just fluff pieces.  He still can't shoot, though."

Statically backing really, that explains it. So 33 iso defense guarding PGs means he has good defense. Sure those PGs shoot great numbers too. What does the average PG shoot compared to other positions? I'll stick to my belief. You keep believing he is the 33 best defender in the league LOL. Oh and I love stats so much because they are always complied and credited with out error or bias. Those stories even stated a bunch of flaws and how there were issue with his game in phases of offense and defense.

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 12:58:06 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
What does the average PG shoot compared to other positions?

... uhh, obviously not anywhere close to 33%.

*fingers in ears*

"I DON'T CARE IF ALL OF THESE PEOPLE CALL RUBIO A GOOD DEFENDER AND THERE ARE EVEN NUMBERS BACKING UP THAT POINT, I SAY HE'S A BAD DEFENDER, SO THAT MEANS HE'S A BAD DEFENDER. ALSO, HE CAN'T SHOOT"

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 01:14:06 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
What does the average PG shoot compared to other positions?

... uhh, obviously not anywhere close to 33%.

*fingers in ears*

"I DON'T CARE IF ALL OF THESE PEOPLE CALL RUBIO A GOOD DEFENDER AND THERE ARE EVEN NUMBERS BACKING UP THAT POINT, I SAY HE'S A BAD DEFENDER, SO THAT MEANS HE'S A BAD DEFENDER. ALSO, HE CAN'T SHOOT"

Better than fingers in rear, that you seem to type with. Especially after "what about Rondo and he can be better" BS lol

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2014, 01:33:41 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
According to you, poor finishing and shooting is why Rubio is a bench point guard, right?  You quite literally cited three things that specifically make Rubio "horrible": poor finishing, poor shooting, and poor defense.  I'm going to disregard the defense because, as I've already discussed ad nauseum, he's not a bad defender.  I don't care if you disagree on that.  So that leaves the finishing and shooting.  Rondo's historically been better than Rubio at finishing except for this past season.  Despite Rubio's terrible shooting, he's been a better 3 point shooter than Rondo for their careers: .323 vs. 252 on exactly 1 more attempt per game.

So how is that poor shooting and poor finishing make Rubio so terrible, yet poor shooting and poor finishing make Rondo worth a 5 year deal from the Wolves?

(And yes, I'm deliberately ignoring the fact that this season was probably an outlier for Rondo in his finishing ability.  But if it's apparently "BS" to give Rubio the benefit of the doubt that he can improve by noting that his FG% at the rim has increased every year he's been in the NBA, why should I give Rondo the benefit of the doubt that he can regain his finishing touch after tearing his ACL?)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:40:40 AM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2014, 01:37:29 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
According to you, poor finishing and shooting is why Rubio is a bench point guard, right?  You quite literally cited three things that specifically make Rubio "horrible": poor finishing, poor shooting, and poor defense.  I'm going to disregard the defense because, as I've already discussed ad nauseum, he's not a bad defender.  I don't care if you disagree on that.  So that leaves the finishing and shooting.  Rondo's historically been better than Rubio at finishing except for this past season.  Despite Rubio's terrible shooting, he's been a better 3 point shooter than Rondo for their careers.

So how is that poor shooting and poor finishing make Rubio so terrible, yet poor shooting and poor finishing make Rondo worth a 5 year deal from the Wolves?

(And yes, I'm deliberately ignoring the fact that this season was probably an outlier for Rondo in his finishing ability.  But if it's apparently "BS" to give Rubio the benefit of the doubt that he can improve on by noting that his FG% has increased every year he's been in the NBA, why should I give Rondo the benefit of the doubt that he can regain his finishing touch after tearing his ACL?)

Again back to Rondo... I know their names finish with the same vowel but that Rubio is not Rondo.

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2014, 01:44:09 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
And since you will probably continue to mention Rondo  here are these in advance

I know their names start with the same letter...
I know their names have the same initials..

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2014, 01:47:55 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
That's... nice?  I'm not sure what any of that has to do with anything, since "is Rondo the same person as Rubio?" and "do their last names begin and end with the same letters?" aren't the question I asked.

Again, how is that Rubio's shooting woes apparently make him an overpaid bench player, yet Rondo's shooting woes make him worthy of a five-year max from Minnesota?  Because your entire argument has been hinging on how Rubio apparently can't start because he can't shoot.  Well, Rondo can't shoot, either.  And the Celtics still won a championship with him.

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2014, 02:00:31 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I put in 2 jic Rondo responses you got one more post to mention Rondo before they they all used up.

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2014, 02:04:15 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
"LOL trying to make the argument something else."
"May as well admit defeat."
"I know cause you're done."

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2014, 02:11:12 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson